Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Someone Please Help

AnimalLover05
February 12th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Okay so I know I haven't posted in a while....I reformated my computer and lost the website but here is my new problem......My two dogs Rowdie(boxer) and Chance(pitbull) have been eating anything they can find that they shouldn't been. Or should I say just ppl food. This has been going on for about a week and a half. From chips, to cookies, to rice krispies to salsa...you name it. Every day that I have come home from work they have eaten something. I came home tonite to find my new double batch of rice krispy treats that were in a glass pan with a lid on it completely gone with the lid off and the pan licked clean. I just don't know what to do anymore I am at my wits end......THey are getting on the counter and taking the things off and destroying the tupperware containers to go with them. I do not know why they are doing this or how to get them to quit. Some one please help...
AnimalLover05 In Distress.......

Prin
February 12th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Have you tried making sure there is no food anywhere on the counters when you're not home or not watching?

AnimalLover05
February 12th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Tonite my rice crispies were in a pan with a lid in the middle of our counter. Our counter is about 3-4 feet wide and about 4 feet tall I didn't have another place to put them as for the other things they were in the sink or in the back of the other counter which is the same height and width but against a wall.....

mafiaprincess
February 12th, 2007, 10:44 PM
They need to be confined when you can't watch them, or you need to put away any available food source. Obviously it doesn't matter how far back they were on the counter, if there's a will there's a way. There really isn't any other solution only common sense.

Prin
February 12th, 2007, 10:49 PM
I used to put stuff in the cupboards on top of the plates and stuff.. :shrug:

Quins-mum
February 13th, 2007, 02:21 AM
the little buggars... you need to put EVERYTING out of their way, they are working in together in trying to get food. The obvious answer is, if you dont leave anything on the bench, they cant get anything.
I have learnt the hard way. I thought all dogs were the same. After my beloved rotti passed away. I got a Black Lab... the pup from hell... or so i thought!(love him to bits now)
After fillet steak and whole chickens were "stolen" off then bench I decided NOTHING was going to be left on the bench....it really works!
If your not home to tell them off then they will continue to do it, as it is someting that "seems" natural to them.
Good luck. and remember.... keep the bech top free of food!
cheers
Pam

pitgrrl
February 13th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Think about it this way, everytime your dogs get something off the counter it's like a huge exciting reward for jumping up and counter surfing. Everytime they get something, the behavior is being rewarded, so why wouldn't they keep doing it?

Breaking a habit is harder than creating one, so you're going to have to be super vigilant about not leaving anything around for the dogs to get at, it's the only way to resolve the problem (well, I've heard of people putting mouse traps on their counter to deter their dogs, but that just seems evil).

breeze
February 13th, 2007, 10:07 AM
try putting everything away, in cupboards fridge even in the stove just don't turn on the stove before checking it, I would also put the garbage away somewhere they can't get to it, once they find out that there is nothing i mean nothing for them to eat it will slowly ease up. once you think you can trust them then and only then you can try putting one thing on the counter if it is still there when you come home great !! if not then you have to start from square one again. it might take a while but don't get discouraged, when kita was a puppy she would open up my cupboard and eat the garbage, then we got smart and put baby proof thing on she could not get to the garbage any more. after a while she stopped trying.
good luck be patient

OntarioGreys
February 13th, 2007, 02:02 PM
As every one has told you the only way to end counter surfing is to make sure they cannot get at it, a microwave is another place to hide your goodies, if your dogs learn to open cupboards then you need to resort to child locks

AnimalLover05
February 13th, 2007, 02:47 PM
I guess the main reason I am getting so discouraged and upset with this is because they are not puppies anymore and they have never i mean never had a problem with chewing up things they were not supposed to .....They have plenty of toys to play with as well as eachother. Its like they are rebelling or something. Rowdie(boxer) just turned 2 on the 5th and Chance(pitbull) will be 2 the end of April....Like I said I guess the reason I am so upset about it is because they are older and have never misbehaved like this before.....and they are not puppies anymore.

Today my husband picked everything up and made sure everything was put away except for a pair of my sandals by the door and I came home on lunch only to find one of my sandals on the bed with my Chance laying next to it....Luckily it was not chewed up but he still brought it in there.....GRRRRRRRRRR:yell:

breeze
February 13th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Even if they are not puppies some older dogs regress. just because they never did thid before does not mean they will never do it. a while ago nakita went into a eating frenzy ate everything she could get and she is 9 1/2 years old !! she has not done that in a long time !! why she did that no one will ever know, it stopped now that but when she did eat everything we went back to the start and put everything away. maybe something has upset them? or they feel stressed? just go back to square one start all over again and see if it gets better remember put everything away even if you don't think they will touch something put it away again. :fingerscr

chico2
February 13th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Aw,to have a hidden camera in instances like this,I can just picture the cats on the counter egging the 2 dogs on,maybe even helping them...yeah,yeah get the rice-krispies you'll get in trouble:laughing:

AnimalLover05
February 13th, 2007, 04:19 PM
lol chico. I could totally see my two kitties doing that.....They are instigators like that....haha...