Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How do you handle your finicky cat or kitten??

heidiho
February 12th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Roxy is becoming more and more picky,sometimes she will just not eat her wet food,i have noticed she does not like it right out of the frig,i have to take it out about an hour before it is time to eat,it has to be room temp.I have also sometimes opened a new can for her,but it is gonna start getting a little to spendy for me,what do you guys do when your cat gets finicky????

Prin
February 12th, 2007, 07:08 PM
You can't microwave it a bit? :shrug:

rainbow
February 12th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Only do it for about 10-15 seconds on power level 8.

heidiho
February 12th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Well duh! Theres a thought yeah i can try that..She will also do it when it is a brand new can but not often,seems mainly when it is cold.ok i will try that tonight,

heyjude11
February 13th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Some cats reject cold food because they can't smell it. A cat's sense of smell prevents them from eating food that's gone bad (or so my vet tells me). Then again, some cats (mine included) are just finicky!

heidiho
February 14th, 2007, 01:50 PM
I didnt know that,i did try the microwave she still didnt eat it til about an hour later,oh well.....

Skryker
February 14th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Cats can be so fickle when it comes to food. :frustrated: Dancer is a one food cat, normally, but lately I've had to keep trying different stuff. The current rule is-wet and dry mixed together, eaten in the bedroom, with Mom standing by. :yell: But it does seem somewhat related to smell-maybe cold from the fridge they can't smell it enough?

heidiho
February 14th, 2007, 02:37 PM
i could try that putting some dry in it,i can smell it even though it is cold,but cats are picky creatures

Skryker
February 14th, 2007, 02:41 PM
It seems like the mix of the 2 is what she likes best right now. :shrug: If it means she'll eat it, I'll mix away!

dogcatharmony
February 14th, 2007, 02:43 PM
I bought a plastic top from a pet food store, it snugs on real tight like a tupperware lid to the cat food can. I only buy the small cans, I get two feedings but I use the lid and don't refrigerate.......the only time i do stick it in the fridge is when my house is a hundred degrees in the summer. I don't use it after two days either....if they don't eat it , i chuck it.

heidiho
February 14th, 2007, 03:02 PM
At first i was putting it in baggie and leaving in cupboard,but mark said it would go bad that way,so i started putting in frig,so if i can find lid i will put in cupboard,although it is warm here,so not sure if it is good idea.

RolandsMom
February 14th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Im very lucky. i dont have a finicky cat...yet...:fingerscr ... but he only get dry food for now. i just change it every now and then(or mix them together,i have a bag of Orijen and a bag of Neutro natural choice) and he seems to like that.

heidiho
February 14th, 2007, 03:17 PM
It could be partly our fault if we have shrimp or fish we will let her have a taste ,but i do think it is the whole wet food thing that gets them finicky she has NEVER tried to cover up her dry food,or walk up to it smell it and walk away,whether it was the cheap stuff we had to buy at first or expensive,but the wet food she does it al the time,Unless it is a new can we are opening then she will eat it right away..

RolandsMom
February 14th, 2007, 03:20 PM
I posted a thread a while ago cause Roland was trying to bury his food. i thought it was cause he didnt like it (thats when i went out and bought the Origin to try something new) but i was told thats a sure sign they do like the food but are just not hungry right then and its a natural instinct to hide it away for later. (hehe he still does it with both foods and eats it all eventually)

heidiho
February 14th, 2007, 03:36 PM
I posted a question here about that to, so maybe it isnt cause its cold but she just doesnt want it right then,it is so funny and loud you hear this bowl just getting pushed around on the floor,just another cute thing i adore about her

RolandsMom
February 14th, 2007, 03:43 PM
They are so great. they all have such funny little eccentricities. You just have to Love them! I find Roland will eat a bit in the day but by morning he has just about polished everything off. I guess just like us they have preferences. Maybe she fills up on the dry adn then isnt so hungry by the time the wet comes along. I guess where you are the wet food gets gross pretty quickly out. mm. dont really have any suggestions except that maybe she isnt terribly hungry. maybe shes catching mice or some other island snack. (or is she an indoor cat?)Certainly i would chose yummy fresh shrimp over something in a can any day!!!!:p

heidiho
February 15th, 2007, 01:56 PM
I think you are right,she just isnt that hungry when i put it out ,because like in the morning i will put out her wet food,she tries to bury it,but when i get home form work it is gone..I have always been a dog person,until Roxy,still want a dog someday,but i have to say kittens or cats are beyond interesting to watch,they are just so curious about everything,and have to get into everything,i could watch her for hurs,well i actually do.She has made our house a home,which i think it takes a pet to do....

RolandsMom
February 15th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Oh im so totally a cat person. i think i like their independance and spunk! although i make him love me (hehe kamikaze love i believe its called here) more than i think he would normally, he is a very loving little boy!
do you have any pics of Roxy? actually i think there might be a link on the photo forum? i will have a look.
I guess as long as shes eating and not loosing weight shes doing fine eating in her own time!

heidiho
February 15th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Lol!! Thats funny,i have a few threads in the pet photo area of her..She is the cutest,i am a cat person for sure now,there is also an article i posted called Your cat is safer indoors,you should read it is great,Yes roxy is striclty indoors,we have a couple of strays i feed and well i just dont feel it is safe for her outdoors,busy road,stray cats and such,and she seems very happy be indoors...

RolandsMom
February 15th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Oh shes super cute! Is Bob yours too or one of the strays you feed? (scuse my ignorance) I havent seen any strays round our area, my bf is dreading it if i do cause he knows theyre coming in if theyre around! hehe. dont know if hes ready for that just yet...
Youre lucky shes happy to be inside. I made the mistake of taking Roland out on his leash to get him used to it (thought i could get him used to the car too and take him everywhere with us...oh how naive i am!!) and now all he wants is out! even the other day when we had two feet of snow and he jumped into the garden as he usually does and got buried!!! lol. it was pretty funny and he thought it was the best fun ever!:cool: so much for my tactics!
Oh to live on a beautiful warm island...you have my total unadulterated envy!!!:D

chico2
February 15th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Rolandsmom,do we have pics of Roxy? OMG,we have tons and she is as cute as a button(never understood that expression,are buttons cute:confused: )and we never tire of seeing her pics:cat:

Heidi,what I do with my cats,if the canned is a bit dry,I add some warm water,it does make the smell stronger,also makes the food a little easier for them to eat.
My cats are lappers,they seem to lick up their wet food.

RolandsMom
February 15th, 2007, 02:37 PM
I guess i have some catching up to do!! :p . i have to get looking and get posting!

heidiho
February 15th, 2007, 02:43 PM
hee! hee! yeah there are truthfully lots of pics of roxy,cant help myself,i was told the same thing You let her out just one time and it is over,she will always want to go out,i was gonna walk her but i have decided it is best not to open that can of worms,she is a very happy kitty and i dont need her trying to run out the door everytime we open it.Yeah bob and the female cat are strays,bob has been around a long time,he used to hang out with 2 different cats,but they disapppeared awhile back,then this female showed up ,and they just love each other it is so cute..Sometimes when i give her the wet food i will wet a spoon and mix it in,but i think bottom line is she just isnt ready to eat it when i put it out....