Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Whta to do about this stray cat

julielenore
February 12th, 2007, 02:08 PM
For over a year now a stray male has been hanging around my neighbourhood. I have not fed him, as I have been told by the OSPCA that if you feed a cat, legally it is yours, and I do not wish to own another cat at this time. There is no cat bylaw here, only the dogcatcher. The OSPCA lady told me she won't do anything unless the cat is injured, and even then he will probably pe put to sleep because he is very unfriendly.
I think the cat is deaf, as he does not know I am at near him until he sees me and when I make a loud noise. The cat appears to be in good health, otherwise although once in awhile it will get cuts from fighting. He is not neutered, he sprays all over my yard and under my porch making an awful smell
He is not friendly at all, if I pet him he will attack my hand
Is there anything I can do for this cat?

cpietra16
February 12th, 2007, 05:31 PM
He may very well be deaf. I there a rescue group that can help you try and capture him.If they can get him off the street, it's a great start. Deaf cats are easy targets for cars or other animals:sad:

badger
February 12th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Poor thing, unless he's all white, he probably got a bad case of mites, then perhaps an infection, ending in deafness.
The kindest thing you could do is to feed him for awhile so that he comes around on a regular basis, then borrow or rent a trap, catch him, take him to the vet and have him cleaned up and neutered. If it turns out he's not really a feral, just pain-crazed, then maybe a rescue group would take him on.
Otherwise, you could release him in the same area. It's not an ideal solution, but at least you would have given him a leg-up and he wouldn't be out there creating an even bigger problem (ie kittens) or spraying your porch.

kashtin's kin
February 13th, 2007, 12:09 AM
...I second pretty much what Badger suggests. I know we are not all prepared or able to help out ALL critters in ALL situations; having said that, I've found that in my personal experience, if an animal ends up on my doorstep somehow...I feel compelled to do what I can :shrug: .

This is how I ended up gentling/'vetting' et al. a family of 5 feral cats this past summer/fall. I spent $$ I could not afford, and tons of time I could! to do all that. I am not anywhere near being a saint or any such thing ;) , but if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing.

However, I cannot see myself-emotionally, financially-getting that involved with that many cats again...at least not too soon! (My big thing right now is trying to advocate spay/neuter!!) ...Soooo, do what you can for this cat :cat: , even if that just involves contacting a rescue group.

I live in an area that is rural and very underserviced regarding animal shelter/rescue, but if you post on here enough and dig around your 'neigbourhood' I would hope you do find some sort of help. Good for you :goodvibes: for caring enough to post in the first place, and I'll follow this thread; I've got my :fingerscr !

P.S. if you could post again and give us a better idea of at least your 'vicinity' in Ontario, that would help others on the board to hopefully be of some assistance...we're all over the place :D .

julielenore
February 13th, 2007, 04:55 AM
I live in Chesley Ontario.
Last summer a cat came to our yard and we befriended her and two days later she had kittens in our flowerbed. The mother cat ended up getting very sick and we spent hundreds on vet bills to get her better. It took months to find homes for her kittens, even though only three survived. We kept the mother and had her spayed right away. We love her very much, but she has never been able to fully trust us and hides 90% of the time.
I just don't know if I can afford to get involved with this cat, I just bought a puppy who will need to be neutered and vetted, plus I would feel so guilty knowing that the male deaf cat would be outside in the cold, as I have small children and it would be unsafe to keep such an agressive cat indoors.
I just wish there was help available to him, it would be so nice if he could someday live indoors and have an owner who would love him and take care of him, yk?

badger
February 13th, 2007, 09:33 AM
I'm not trying to persuade you either way because I totally understand your dilemma, but you know, logically, that not every rescue is such a grind. Most of them only need vaccs, worming meds, occcasionally antibiotics and, of course the ne plus ultra, the royal snip. That being said, if he is a true feral, it could get pretty complicated. And finding good homes is a huge problem. I'm not trying to minimize things.

You could start by calling some of the rescue groups in your area, to see if they could offer you any help:

http://search.petfinder.com/search/search.cgi

In your place, I would probably respond to the immediate situation by feeding him regularly and providing him with some kind of shelter, even if I could do nothing else. Unfortunately, the spraying will probably not subside until he is neutered and in a safe situation.

And don't give up on your scaredy-cat! I've had cats 'come around' after as long as two years of refusing to even stay in the same room with me. Try practising kamikaze love, which basically amounts to ambushing her when she is comfortable, hold her gently but firmly, avoiding flying paws, quick snuggle, release. A ten-second operation which, over time, imprints on their little brains and speeds the process of attachment. You have to do it absolutely without fear.

Good luck.

chico2
February 13th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Badger,KK and CPietra,you certainly know what you are talking about having rescued so many cats..:thumbs up
I would at least feed this poor guy,who's to tell you he is now yours??
I fed a feral male cat for 3 yrs,twice a day he came to my deck.
With the help of our Humane Society and a humane trap,we tried to catch him,but he would have none of it.:sad:
The plan was for HS to neuter him and bring him back here,not to have him euthanized or kept in a cage.
If this cat is deaf,because of earmites,he is in constant pain and pain will certainly make most cats seem aggressive.
Please,it's cold outside,please feed him,a full tummy might change his demeanor and one day he might let himself be caught and get treatment:fingerscr

julielenore
February 13th, 2007, 10:19 AM
He likes to sleep under my porch, there is a very small hole where he is able to squeeze through, I realise this is not very warm. I have tried to convince my husband to build a "cat house" like the one I had for my cats as kids, basically a dog house with carpet over the door and a lightbulb inside for heat, but we don't have an outlet outside so that won't work.
Do you think he will eat dry cat food? or should I set something canned and stinky out for him?
The thing that scares me most is that he is not afraid of people at all, I can walk right up to him, but if I try to touch him he attacks me. My daughter tried to pet him and got a nasty cut up her arm. I am a bit afraid for visitors who might try to pet him and get hurt.

Badger:You may be right about my scarededy cat, my husband is the only one who is pushy enough to tackle her and pet her, and now will sometimes allow him to pet her. I falsely told him that if he left her alone she would come to him, boy was I wrong :laughing:

badger
February 13th, 2007, 11:45 AM
So don't make any move to touch him and teach your kids not to, obviously he's not ready to tango - maybe he'll never be, but that's still uncertain. Kamikaze love is mainly an indoor sport!

Dry food is fine, although you also have to provide water, which freezes pretty rapidly right now. I put out boiling water in a deep-ish stainless steel bowl and it lasts a couple of hours at night. In full sun, it may stay liquid a little longer. If he starts coming at regular times - knowing there will be food - it's easier to work around the freezing thing. Wet food is good too. Buy the kitten version of whatever you are feeding, because it's richer. Any meaty fatty leftovers are welcome (no bones please). If you can put the food near whatever shelter he has, all the better; but not inside - too hard to get at when you want to replenish.

If you can get your hands on some straw, that is the best insulator of all. An airtight box (preferably wood) or a plastic garbage can with the lid firmly attached, stuffed with straw and with a small entry hole positioned away from the wind, is an awesome shelter. You can google 'feral winter shelter' and find any number of ideas, from the simplest to the most elaborate.

Do what you can and don't feel guilty about the rest; even a small improvement in his situation is huge in terms of his survival.

kashtin's kin
February 14th, 2007, 01:33 AM
Hi again...no magic solutions, but Badger has some really good tips, and chico2 is always in there encouraging etc. :thumbs up . I hope that just knowing that there are people 'out there' who do care about your situation is a bit helpful in itself; I found it made what could have been a rather scary feral :eek: situation for me actually quite enjoyable.

Please hang in there :fingerscr -try some of Badger's ideas, and see if there are any 'rescue alternatives', or someone who might be of assistance in your area. (I 'googled' rescues, and did learn of some possibilities, in my case.) I looked up Chesley, and you are a bit off my radar, so to speak...but hopefully there is someone/thing near you?

I thought chico2 made a good point about the 'feeding/legally yours' thing; if we all had to 'own' every cat we ever fed, we would all have a billion cats, I guess. Take things one day at a time, and just do your best. Take it from a Master Fret-er...worrying too much is counter-productive. Keep us posted!