Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Techni-cal Lamb and rice puppy

julielenore
February 12th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Any opinions?
Ingredients: lamb meal, rice, brown rice, chicken fat, beet pulp, rice hulls, brewers yeast, natural flavour, flax meal, salmon oil, citric acid, potassium chloride, L-lysine, choline chloride, inulin, DL- methionine, taurine, glucosamine hydrochloride, chondroitin sulphate, vitamin C, yucca extract, Vitamins (vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, niacin, vitamin C, inositol, D-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, beta-carotene, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, vitamin K, biotin), Minerals (zinc proteinate, ferrous sulphate, iron proteinate, zinc oxide, copper proteinate, copper sulphate, manganese proteinate, manganous
oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite)

This is what the breeder was feeding my 10 week old shih tzu. I was wondering if I should continue with this food or switch to something else. he seems to be doing great so far.

Scott_B
February 12th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Not too bad. Grainy. Lots of rice, and beet pulp is way up there. And I'm not sure what "natural flavor" is. :confused:

gypsy_girl
February 12th, 2007, 10:50 AM
SOme igredient splitting going on here, 3 different types of rice that would put the "rice" ingredients first, not the lamb meal. This would probably be a price point food (under or around $40.00???)

[QUOTE=julielenore;371862]Any opinions?
Ingredients: lamb meal, rice, brown rice, chicken fat, beet pulp, rice hulls, brewers yeast, natural flavour, flax meal, salmon oil, citric acid, potassium chloride, L-lysine, choline chloride, inulin, DL- methionine, taurine, glucosamine hydrochloride, chondroitin sulphate, vitamin C, yucca extract, Vitamins (vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, niacin, vitamin C, inositol, D-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, beta-carotene, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, vitamin K, biotin), Minerals (zinc proteinate, ferrous sulphate, iron proteinate, zinc oxide, copper proteinate, copper sulphate, manganese proteinate, manganous
oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite)

billyp
February 12th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Beet pulp is a low quality ingredient and filler. It is a by-product, being dried residue from sugar beets which has been cleaned and extracted in the process of manufacturing sugar. It is a controversial ingredient in dog food, claimed by some manufacturers to be a good source of fibre, and derided by others as an ingredient added to slow down the transition of rancid animal fats and causing stress to kidney and liver in the process. note that beet pulp is an ingredient that commonly causes problems for dogs, including allergies and ear infections, and should not be used in dog food. There are less controversial products around if additional fibre is required.

julielenore
February 12th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Thanks for your replies. Is there any other brands you would reccomend? I live in a small area, but it does have a "pet value" food store, I refuse to shop at pet shops that sell puppies and kittens. I cannot shop online, as I live in Canada and shipping here is outrageous.
(I prefer not to feed raw)

billyp
February 12th, 2007, 11:09 AM
you could try canidae all life stage it's a good quality kibble no controversial filler and different source of protein...check if there is a store near you that carries that brand... www.canidae.com

meb999
February 12th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Chicken fat is way ip in the ingredients...you usually don't want to see a fat source within the first five ingredients, it's been linked with bloat.

Inova, Solid Gold, Canidae and Merrick are a few good dog-food brands....what's available at your store, give us a small list and we can help you pick out the best :D :thumbs up

technodoll
February 12th, 2007, 11:23 AM
also note that "rice hulls" are just the rice peelings... chafe... zero nutritional value. it's the equivalent of peanut shells :yuck:

meb999
February 12th, 2007, 11:27 AM
I would also ask the company if 'vitamin K' is natural source or menadione bisulfate....which has been removed from human consumption for awhile because it's linked to cancer (but lower grade dog foods still have it...)

julielenore
February 12th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Chicken fat is way ip in the ingredients...you usually don't want to see a fat source within the first five ingredients, it's been linked with bloat.

Inova, Solid Gold, Canidae and Merrick are a few good dog-food brands....what's available at your store, give us a small list and we can help you pick out the best :D :thumbs up

I checked the Canidae website and it is available at the store I do my shopping at :D There is a lamb and rice formula, would lamb and rice be better for my dogs? I have a toy poodle/pom cross and a shih tzu pup. I have heard that some breeds can have skin problems (although i haven't seen any yet) and that lamb can be a better protein source.
Thanks so muuh for all your help.

meb999
February 12th, 2007, 11:37 AM
ingredients for the lamb and rice :

Lamb and rice formula

Ingredients:
Lamb Meal, Brown Rice, Canola Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Flax Seed, Sun cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Lamb, Lecithin, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Linoleic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Inulin (from Chicory Root), Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, L-Lysine, Taurine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (source of Vitamin B2), Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Organic Selenium, Dried Papaya, Dried Pineapple, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

I actually like their All Life Stages formula better, because the fat source is further down the list and there's more than one protein source :

All Life Stages

Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Herring Meal, Flax Seed, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Chicken, Lecithin, Monocalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Linoleic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Dried Enterococcus Faecium, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Inulin (from Chicory root), Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (source of B2), Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Papaya, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

You don't have to limit your pets protein source to lamb because some pets have skin problems, as long as YOUR dog does well on it, that's all that matters. For example : my dog can't eat chicken OR lamb....Lamb isn't a fix-all.
Good luck!! Also, I just want to warn you, that the price will be higher on the CAnidae than the Technical -- BUT you will feed less of it and your pet'll be healthier (saving you $$ on vet bills!!) so it's cheaper in the long run!
Good luck!

julielenore
February 12th, 2007, 11:46 AM
I don't mind paying more, one of the reasons I chose small breeds is that they eat less and it would cost less to feed them the best than it would to feed a large breed dog something crappy from Walmart.:laughing:
I will look into the All life stages. I really like that I will be able to feed both my dogs the same food even though one is a puppy.

Scott_B
February 12th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Yup, :thumbs up to Both Canidae formulas. I fed the lamb one for a while.

Another to look at would be Innova Evo. Excellent quality food.

As for the living and shipping in Canda..hehe this is pets.CA. 95% of the users on the site live in Canada :D

coppperbelle
February 12th, 2007, 08:06 PM
I began feeding Canidae about a month ago and I am very happy with what I see so far. Both dogs coats are beautiful. The price is right too!:D

rainbow
February 12th, 2007, 09:21 PM
If Canidae is available to you then that is an excellent choice. I prefer the chicken formula. :shrug:

MARTYnBENTLEY
February 15th, 2007, 01:14 AM
I was just looking at the petvalu.com website and it says that they carry Solid Gold foods. A little more pricey but the but the quality is unbeatable

OntarioGreys
February 15th, 2007, 11:29 AM
I was just looking at the petvalu.com website and it says that they carry Solid Gold foods. A little more pricey but the but the quality is unbeatable

Compare ingredients and note the difference in the amount of grains and meat, if you add up the grains in Solid gold it will outweigh the meats, it is a food made with high quality ingredients but very grainy ;)

Solid Gold Hund-n-flocken
Lamb | Lamb Meal | Millet | Brown Rice | Cracked Pearled Barley | Oatmeal | Rice Bran | Menhaden Fish Meal | Canola Oil | Flax Meal | Amaranth | Blueberries | Dried Chicory Root | Carotene | Choline Chloride | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Copper Proteinate | Manganese Proteinate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Sodium Selenite | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid |

Canidae All Stages

Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Herring Meal, Flax Seed, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Chicken, Lecithin, Monocalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Linoleic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Dried Enterococcus Faecium, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Inulin (from Chicory root), Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (source of B2), Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Papaya, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Canidae also uses fantastic quality ingredients but they add much more meat

this is a description on their ingredients, which very few dog food manufacturers come even close to even in the sper premium brands
It comes in a 40 lb bag most other food are packaged as 30lbs and it is lower priced than many other highend foods so works out to 25% more food for less $$$$, so a food that I highly recommend to try, but the reminder should be even if a food is well recommended there is no food on the market that agrees with 100% of the dog population, so it can be an exceptional choice or terrible choice depending on how your dog does on a food, but ingredient wise Canidae is an exceptional food for its price

http://canidae.com/ingredients/thefinest.html

angeldogs
February 15th, 2007, 10:13 PM
my buddy feed his dogs techni-cal.they did ok on it.he used to work for the company that made it.so he got it free.and also swore by it.if it wasn't for the company down sizing.thats what jag would be on.

Prin
February 16th, 2007, 12:28 AM
To me the chicken one would be better for the skin (all life stages one). It's got more omega 3 fatty acids that will really help with the coat, IMO.

rainbow
February 16th, 2007, 10:39 PM
my buddy feed his dogs techni-cal.they did ok on it.he used to work for the company that made it.so he got it free.and also swore by it.if it wasn't for the company down sizing.thats what jag would be on.

Techni-cal is made by the same company that makes Medi-cal. :yuck:

rainbow
February 16th, 2007, 10:40 PM

I agree with OG....Canidae is a better choice.

angeldogs
February 17th, 2007, 12:08 AM
rainbow.there also making food for royal cainin brand.i believe that's what 1 o the reps said.

julielenore
February 17th, 2007, 06:15 AM
I bought some of the canidae for my pup and I would like to change my 1 yr old dog to it too. I really like that the puppy and adult foods are the same, I don't have to worry about them eating each others' food. I also bought some felinedae for my cat to try.
Does anyone know if you can freeze dog food? I would be able to save money if I could buy a large bag and freeze half of it in an airtight container. Both my dogs do not eat alot so a huige bag would last forever. Right now it takes my toy poodle a month to get through 10 lbs of food.

Prin
February 17th, 2007, 11:17 AM
I think as long as you seal it up well, it should last a while. Like if you get a 4lb bag and fill it up with the food from a 10lb bag and then seal up the 10lb bag really well, that could be ok.. They just say putting it in a plastic container isn't good though, so you'd have to make due with bags...:o

mafiaprincess
February 17th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Techni cal.. medi cal.. royal canin.. they are all mediocre foods that are nothing to write home about. Don't care what all they make since it's all low quality.

rainbow
February 17th, 2007, 10:22 PM
rainbow.there also making food for royal cainin brand.i believe that's what 1 o the reps said.

Royal Canin makes Medi-Cal which is only sold through veterinarians and Techni-Cal and Natural Blend that is sold retail.

rainbow
February 17th, 2007, 10:25 PM
I bought some of the canidae for my pup and I would like to change my 1 yr old dog to it too. I really like that the puppy and adult foods are the same, I don't have to worry about them eating each others' food. I also bought some felinedae for my cat to try.
Does anyone know if you can freeze dog food? I would be able to save money if I could buy a large bag and freeze half of it in an airtight container. Both my dogs do not eat alot so a huige bag would last forever. Right now it takes my toy poodle a month to get through 10 lbs of food.

Yes, you can freeze dog kibble. But, keep it in the original packaging and do not put it in a plastic container. There's a thread somewhere about it...I'll see if I can find it.

rainbow
February 17th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Here's the thread:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=30423&highlight=dog+food+plastic+container

julielenore
February 18th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Wow, thanks for the link, I didn't know that. I have been storing my cats food in pails for as long as I can remember. i will have to keep it in the bag from now on.

rainbow
February 18th, 2007, 01:40 PM
You can leave it in the bag and put the bag in the pail if you want. Either way, make sure the bag is tightly rolled up to keep the air out. :)