Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Should we get another cat? (Plus pics for Rainbow!)

Maianne
February 11th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Hi everyone,

Yoshi is our 8-month-old male Ragdoll. We love him and spoil him to death, but are wondering if we should get another cat to keep him company when we're away at work during the day. We make sure he has lots of toys to play with and we do interact with him as much as possible once we're home. But we do worry that he might be lonely when he's alone during the day, although he seems content enough (it still breaks my heart to leave him, though!!).

So if we were to get another one, would it be a good idea to get a younger kitten (around 3 months old or so)? Or should we try to find one closer to his age? Or, now that he's gotten used to being the only cat in the house, should we leave things as they are?

Thanks for your advice!

Below are some pics of our baby... not the greatest quality but we'll try to upload better ones later on. (Hopefully I attached the files properly)

Maianne
February 11th, 2007, 11:43 PM
ok, let's try this again... (sorry, just one pic for now since the others were too large... will have to resize later)

TeriM
February 11th, 2007, 11:49 PM
So adorable :lovestruck: . At only eight months he would probably be quite receptive to a buddy and heh, if you can give another cat a good home then go for it :thumbs up .

Dracko
February 12th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Wow! Very unique and beautiful looking. Just an adorable face.

My experience is cats can usually get along fine on their own BUT when you do have more than one cat and they bond, nothing is nicer to watch than them cleaning eat other, playing, sleeping, etc. I have a 1 year old and 7 month old (and a 14 year old) cat. The 2 youngest are best of buddies. Only took them a couple days to acclimate and now they are inseperable. I am so glad for the 1 year old I got the kitten as my older cat doesn't play with her much.

If it were me, I'd go for it as I believe 8 months is still really young and most kittens will get used to another cat easily at that young of an age. :thumbs up

angeldogs
February 12th, 2007, 04:12 AM
now that,s a smart good looking kitty.

chico2
February 12th, 2007, 07:31 AM
He is beautiful,like all Ragdolls:lovestruck:
I would get another kitten or young cat,I am sure the shelters have tons:sad:
I always believed in 2 or more cats.
Watching them interact and(hopefully)become buddies is wonderful.

Winston
February 12th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Hello,

I agree another buddy would be great! I have 2 and dont regret it for a moment! They keep each other company! If you do a breed search on petfinders.org you will see many ragdolls for rescue!

Cindy
:thumbs up

RolandsMom
February 12th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Oh i wish i could get another kitty! i also think two is better than one.I see you are in Calgary. they have some ragdoll burmese crosses(i think thats what they are crossed with) at the shawnessy petland and im pretty sure they are rescues. (i bought my rescue from there.)

Maianne
February 25th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Thanks for all your advice, everyone! Pretty much confirmed what we thought all along. So we'll be starting our search for another kitten! :)

rainbow
February 26th, 2007, 11:45 AM
I don't know how I missed this thread. :o Yoshi is absolutely adorable. :lovestruck: I'm glad you decided to get him a playmate. Since he is only 8 months old it should be easy to introduce a new kitty. Are you getting another ragdoll or a rescue from a shelter?

Prin
February 26th, 2007, 03:41 PM
What a beautiful kitty! Wow. :lovestruck: