Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Business dealings with non-animal lovers

t.pettet
February 11th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Had a client in today who stayed & chatted while I trimmed her dog (yorkie) and she asked me if I ever go to ......Hairstyling. I said that I couldn't in good conscience financially support anyone who is so uncaring with their pets. This particular stylist is just down the street and seems to know her stuff but she and her husband keep an old hound tied to a dog house and have multiple un-spayed cats. This dog has been in this situation all its life and both owners have said "Oh she's okay, used to it" whenever I questioned them about the dog. SPCA check on the dog but as long as its got shelter, food and water their hands are tied. There are 2 farm supply stores in the area also, one that I frequent for bird seed and deer rations and the owner's sheltie accompanies him to work and greets his customers whereas the other one has a husky-mix tied to a dog house 24 x 7 just beside his business. Theres also a small grocery store owner who insists I bring whichever dog is with me in and always has treats behind the counter. I just don't want to have to socialize with people who just don't understand the issues - a personal boycott I suppose.

Prin
February 11th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Yep. I agree. :) I also have a really hard time staying friends with people who buy their dogs at pet stores after I've already explained everything to them a kajillion times. :o :footinmouth: :shrug:

Frenchy
February 11th, 2007, 07:23 PM
a personal boycott I suppose.
I hear ya ! Last week a coworker of mine ask me for a cd I use for work (his wife does the same job as me but from her home) I asked him if she still was thinking about breeding her maltese with a yorkie after everything I told him to tell her. I told him she'll get the cd if she gets her female spay. He replied ; I'm not sure about that. I told him, ; well then I'm not sure she'll get the cd. He didn't ask for it again.

Stacer
February 11th, 2007, 07:26 PM
I totally feel the same way, keep doing what you're doing. :highfive: :thumbs up

TeriM
February 11th, 2007, 08:07 PM
I agree. We all need to vote with our dollars. I personally have several stores that I won't shop at because I disagree with their business practices.

Byrd
February 11th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Ditto to everything said.

Dracko
February 11th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Went to a hairdresser for a number of years who breed Collies and showed them. For some stupid reason I was under the mistaken impression he really liked his dogs. One day while doing my hair he mentioned that he had just put two puppies down cuz..................

One ate poop and the other had a lazy eye. :eek:

He said they weren't of value to him. The hairdresser next to him said, 'Man I'm glad I'm not your children. Imagine what would happen if I brought home a bad mark."

Needless to say, I never went back to that ******* again.:mad:

Frenchy
February 11th, 2007, 08:29 PM
he mentioned that he had just put two puppies down cuz..................

One ate poop and the other had a lazy eye. :eek:

OMG :mad: stupid man. :mad:

Dracko
February 11th, 2007, 08:53 PM
I know he bred them to show and wanted "perfect" dogs. But, he no doubt could easily have found homes for these puppies. Easily! This was years ago that this conversation happened and there is never a time that he pops in to my head that I do not think of what he did.

I also knew someone many years ago who didn't want his cats anymore and took them outside in a box and shot them. I found out about it and forbade him to ever set foot in my house every again. At the time I attended church regularly and he was a part of our little "group." I can't recall a conversation I ever had with him again after telling him what I thought about his actions. *****er was insane and his actions regarding the animals proved it.

Dracko
February 11th, 2007, 08:56 PM
This is a little :offtopic: as it isn't a "business dealing" but my bf and I are in the process of splitting up. I was talking to him today about finding a new home and he asked why I didn't look at condos. I told him mostly cuz of Dracko (GSD). He told me I was nuts to allow a DOG to be the determining factor where I lived and I should considering where I wanted to live FIRST and if the DOG didn't fit in to put him down. :mad:

Needless to say, makes me even more glad I am leaving. While he is good with the animals he sees them as "animals.":evil: