Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cats and water

tonomon
February 11th, 2007, 07:01 PM
how do i make my cat, judah, drink more water. he recently went through a FLUTD incident. from all the research i've tried, the best preventive measure to avoid similar incidents i more liquid intake. i've tried bowls throughout the house, and water in his food(decreases appetite) w/minimal success. apologies due if this topic has been discussed before. it's my first time w/cats and pet message boards. thanks.

RolandsMom
February 11th, 2007, 07:40 PM
HI.
well i bought a water fountain (specially for cats) for my kitten cause he really likes to drink water out of the tap. i guess its full of oxygen and tastes good. he drinks LOADs of water from it! worth a try :)

dustybird
February 11th, 2007, 07:45 PM
I agree on trying the water fountain, I have heard lots of good things about them. I plan on trying it myself this summer. Also canned food will help if he will eat it.

Stacer
February 11th, 2007, 08:04 PM
I too have a water fountain, it's called FreshFlow, I don't know where you are, but I got mine a Canadian Tire. Both my cats drink more from that than they did just out of a bowl. Also, are you feeding your cat wet food? There's substantial water content in wet food. When I give my cats their wet food, I mix in a few tablespoons of water. They like the runny consistency better than the chunks of solid food (casue they can lap it up) and they're benefitting from extra water intake.

Kristin7
February 12th, 2007, 11:48 AM
As others have posted, try running water. Those fountain bowls are nice, or you could try the kitchen or bathroom sink. One of mine loves drinking out of the bathroom sink tap and rarely out of a water bowl on the floor. She is really picky about her water. Could be the type of bowl as well, so you could try water in different types of bowls (plastic, stainless, glass) to find your cat's preference. I have noticed mine will also drink out of a bowl or drinking glass if it is up on a countertop. My other cat drinks out of her water bowl, no problem.

heyjude11
February 14th, 2007, 12:58 AM
I have a water bowl in the kitchen and a glass of water in the bedroom. Both my cat and my neighbor's cat who visits occasionally will eat their food in the kitchen but then go into the bedroom to drink from the glass of water. I have a friend whose cat does the same. Go figure ...
I think the water fountain is a great idea though.

mona_b
February 14th, 2007, 01:33 AM
IMHO,I really don't think you can make a cat drink more.But I would definately have him on canned food.This should help.My cats get both canned and dry.:)

dogcatharmony
February 14th, 2007, 09:45 AM
I agree.....try some canned food. I have a cat who doesn't like to drink water and in talking with my vet he informed me that canned food has enough water in it.

chicmate
February 14th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Out of curiousity, the water fountain that some of you use, is it like this one from Canadian Tire?

http://canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=140847439 6672759&bmUID=1171473611700&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442307367&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true

or

http://canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=140847439 6672759&bmUID=1171473611715&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441892427&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true

My cat doesn't drink out of her bowl either, I might try this, if it's the one you're referring to.

Thanks in advance!

Kristin7
February 14th, 2007, 01:19 PM
I am not sure, the link just gives me the home page. I think the brand of mine was 'drinkwell' or something like that. My cat loved it, but I got tired of having to take it apart to clean it all the time. Don't use tap water with these either, you'll get mineral buildup that is hard to remove. Wet food could work, but depends on your cat. One of mine throws up if she eats wet food.

Stacer
February 14th, 2007, 02:55 PM
This is my water fountain (http://www.petmate.com/Catalog.plx?ID=205), except in blue. From Canadian Tire.

RolandsMom
February 14th, 2007, 03:21 PM
http://www.nextag.com/cat-water-fountain/search-html
my water bowl is pretty much like the second one on this page. the catit one. I got it from Petland.
you do have to clean them often (i do this every 3 or 4 days. its pretty quick.) good idea on the filtered water though cause i do notice some calcium build up!

MartiniGIrl
February 15th, 2007, 03:33 PM
HI.
well i bought a water fountain (specially for cats) for my kitten cause he really likes to drink water out of the tap. i guess its full of oxygen and tastes good. he drinks LOADs of water from it! worth a try :)

I agree, try the fountain! Since I got mine my cats drink tons more water than they ever did before.