Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

HS Volunteering

Stacer
February 11th, 2007, 04:49 PM
So I've decided to volunteer at the Humane Society here in Mississauga. I'm not sure what to expect. So far I've only sent them an email expressing my interest in helping out. Has anyone volunteered for the Humane Society(any city), how was your experience? I'm not sure in what capacity I'd like to help, maybe as a dog walker, donate food, help with the general care of the animals. I'd really like to foster a cat.

Lukka'sma
February 11th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Volunteering at our HS entails an orientation meeting that you must sit in on. After that I was able to come and go at my leisure. I would assist with cleaning cat cages every morning and if time would allow take a dog out in the enclosure for a period of time or walk around the grounds.
On special occasian events (rabies clinics etc.) we would do several jobs. Directing the car park area, directing people with animals into the lines for a rabies vaccine. Several other jobs that I can't remember now, but all equally important.

Stacer
February 11th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Sounds good! I hope they get back to me tomorrow. I'm not sure how much time I can dedicate, but I'd like to help out whenever I can.

Golden Girls
February 11th, 2007, 07:54 PM
What a wonderful idea. You can ask Marko, he's volunteering at our MSPCA and does dog walking :)

Frenchy
February 11th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Good for you ! :thumbs up :highfive: :grouphug:

Stacer
February 11th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Thanks, I'll let you know when they get back to me. Dog walking sound like it would be nice, I can get some exercise too. I could even just sit in the cat room and play with them, make them happy for awhile.

Loves Labs
February 15th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Hi Stacer - that is wonderful of you to volunteer, I think you will find it a really rewarding experience.

I volunteered at the HS in Ottawa a few years ago. I was a dog-walker - there were specified times you could do it (1 slot in morning, 1 at night). After the orientation session you could show up whenever you wanted (with a min. # of visits per week, I think..).
Anyways, it was absolutely wonderful. I felt like I was making a difference in those poor dogs lives - seeing them so pumped for a walk always made my day. On the other hand, it was heart breaking to witness all the poor pups first-hand. I got pretty emotional sometimes and ALWAYS wanted to bring them home. All in all - I think (and hope) you will enjoy it...IMO there is no better way to spend your spare time :D :love:

RolandsMom
February 15th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Good for you Stacer. i personally couldnt do it. I cant see the rescue animals anywhere without wanting to cry. i know its awesome for them to have company and its awesome that you can do it! :thumbs up

Stacer
February 15th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Thanks, they just replied to my email with a phone number to call, so I'm going to give them a ring in the next couple of days, see what kind of help they need.

Stacer
February 15th, 2007, 04:53 PM
I just called, and I'm disappointed. The only thing they can offer me is fostering (which I'd like to do, but really can't right now) or walking a dog that is currently being fostered but I'd have to drive to another city. Isn't the point of fostering to provide the animal with basic necessities of life, such as walking? Why can't the foster parents walk the dog, instead of wasting the resources of 2 volunteers on one animal? I found that weird, the lady that I talked to didn't seem very interested in finding me anything to do. So I am disappointed. Perhaps I will find a local rescue organization and try my luck there.

heidiho
February 15th, 2007, 05:19 PM
I did it had to be over 10 years ago,and for me it was just to much to bear, i found it very very depressing,i remember one case stood out and i t was an owner dropping his dog off,for good,and the dog started crying i swear he knew what was happening,and it was positively heartbreakin i did it for about a month and ot was all i could do,i would put food in dishes and clean and to walk up and down those rows of dogs,and the noise of all of them barking and crying was not a very feel good thing....

OntarioGreys
February 15th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Stacer check this out

http://www.marscats.ca/news.html

Also more under "ways to help"

You can also look up animal rescues near you thru petfinder and see what help they are in need of, unlike humane societies and shelters who have paid employees, rescues depend a 100% on volunteers, so they have often a greater variety of needs to fill different positions so it could be administrative, secretrial, fundraiser, promotions, foster care, meeting/screening potential adopters, helping with grooming, taking an animal to a meet and greet etc

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=5

mummummum
February 16th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Stacer ~ just curious here...

But I think the HS in Mississauga does not actually have a building/ containment facility. I think all of their animals are either in foster care or in the custody of Animal Services.

I may be wrong ...

chico2
February 16th, 2007, 03:00 PM
mummummum,and they have a very high rate of euthanazing animals.:sad:
There is a no-kill shelter beeing built in Mississauga,but I don't know if it is finished yet.
I know this from a friend who lives in Mississauga.

Stacer
February 16th, 2007, 04:46 PM
The lady on the phone had a very thick accent, so I didn't catch everything she said. But that would make sense why she didn't have much for me to do. I thik she actually said the words Animal Control, but I couldn't make out what it was in reference to. :shrug: . I'll call around and see where they need me.

chico2
February 16th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Stacer,Oakville Humane needs you,but it might be a little far...