Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is this it..?

JennieV
February 11th, 2007, 03:32 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad: I think my dog is going... He has not touched food or water in 24 hours, yesterday I coaxed him into eating an all beef hotdog, but even that he was refusing...He is wobbling when getting up and looks very weak (no wonder, he didnt eat..) He is 14 yrs old, didnt have any major health issues, but he looks like he is slowly fading. He isnt in pain, or at least he wont respond to me, and when I pick him up he just goes limp, like he has no life... :sad: :sad:
I have seen it before, with my first dog, when she was dying, it was the same thing, but what do I do? do I go to emergency hospital? They dont even know his history..I am just so confused..Do I wait to see my vet tomorrow??..What do you think I should do? :sad: :sad:

Frenchy
February 11th, 2007, 03:39 PM
I would go today. Do you have a vet open today in your area ? I know DMV is open in Lachine and there is one in Brossard near Champlain bridge. I'm really sorry :sad:

Stacer
February 11th, 2007, 03:41 PM
I'd take him to the emergency vet just to rule out immediate problems that might be able to be taken care of, and then maybe see your regular vet when they're open tomorrow. I hope your dog is going to be OK.

Hunter's_owner
February 11th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Yeah I would go to see a vet asap.
Please let us know:fingerscr

JennieV
February 11th, 2007, 03:59 PM
You see, I have very little faith in the emergency hospitals, we went once, when he was having bloody diarrhea, and 4 hours and about 400$ later they told me that he has nothing, that it is probably a virus, but couldnt tell me nothing else...I felt like I have been taken for a ride...I just called the hospital in Lachine, the lady who answered said its probably the end, but to come in and check anyways, but the initial visit price is 100$, without any tests included...:eek: ..I am the only one working right now, and we have no credit cards or anything, I cant afford 400$ of tests!!:yell: :yell:

JennieV
February 11th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Little update...He just ate another hotdog (its one of the big huge ones..) and drank some water, again, with my coaxing, but he wont move around, he just buried himself in the doggy bed...he seems to be very tired, but also a bit better than before. I will be taking him to a vet first thing tomorrow am. Its not that I value money over my pet, its that we already had a bad experience with Emergency hospital before, and I dont see it reasonable to pay hundreds of dollars that I dont even have, for them to tell me they dont know what it is. Or that he is old and dying..I already know that, and have been through that horrible experience once before, I know the signs...

Winston
February 11th, 2007, 05:37 PM
If he is comfy, not in pain and had some food and water I dont see why you cant wait...I have heard that when that time comes you will see it in their eyes...I have not yet had to go through this ..I feel for you...Most important to cherish all the moments and enjoy your time with your dog! Good luck and the vets..many people will be thinking of you !!

Cindy

JennieV
February 11th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Winston, OMG...His eyes... I cant even tell you..:yell: ...Last night he made me cry like a nut, because he sleeps in our bedroom, he has a HUGE doggy pillow, seriously, must be a King size in doggy beds..So he left the bed, came slowly next to my side of our bed and layed down and was staring at me, until I picked him up on the bed with me (usually he comes on by himself, stays for a few minutes while you pet him, and leaves) so he snuggled right under my arm and just was looking at me, not sleeping, but looking, and smiling with the corner of his mouth, and I swear, it was a if he was saying goodbye or something...That its ok...
I have been preparing myself for this, but when the time comes, it hits you like a brick wall, realizing that this is it...And I remember that this is exactly what happened with my first dog, she lived to be 13, with 2 major operations and the last 2 days were extremely traumatizing to me. I was relieved when she went, as she was suffering.
Tarzan had a very exciting life, back in Israel I rescued him off the street, when I was in grade 9, and smuggled him under my jacket on the bus to come home with me, then for the 3 or 4 months my parents kept telling me to either find another home or bring him back, and I kept saying "yea ok"...Then he moved from Israel to Canada with me, and from Toronto to Montreal, so he has seen alot, and even though he is LOVED and spoiled by the entire family (even my parents say that he is one of a kind dog..lol) he always makes sure I know he is MY dog . Thats what he did last night!

Winston
February 11th, 2007, 06:57 PM
JennieV

My thoughts are with you both. Sounds like he has lived a full life! I am glad you never gave up on his and left him behind in Israel..you obviously have the bond that we humans seem to have with our furry friends! Try to be strong ! They say that God never gives us more than we can handle! (although somtimes I am not sure about that!)

Cindy

There are many forum members here thinking about you ! Positive vibes going yur way!

JennieV
February 11th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Another little update: Tarzan seems to take little bits, and have more water todrink, and we even managed to venture out for a very short walk, but he couldnt walk much, so we came back, which is fine, since he hasnt been up much...I have a little hope that he is just not feeling well, and tomorrow we will find out if theres anything we can do, so :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

rainbow
February 11th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Hugs for Tarzan :grouphug: and good luck at the vet tomorrow :goodvibes: ....please update. :fingerscr

Bullykai
February 11th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Good luck to you both.....did the vet say anything??? what is wrong with him??? :candle:

JennieV
February 12th, 2007, 06:07 PM
I am sorry for not letting you guys know what is going on..Its been a day from hell...:yuck:
Well, got news from the vet, and Tarz had some kind of infection, they couldnt tell me what exactly, and he is anemic at the same time. :frustrated: :frustrated:
The vet suggested pills for both cases, and to see if by the weekend the condition would change. Then we need another blood test, and based on what we see we will be making a decision.:sad:
I have a feeling this isnt gonna help, and that its just a way to get me to spend all kinds of money, the dog is suffering, and this guy couldnt even tell me exactly what is ailing him. I mean, at what point do you stop? :confused: What kind of quality of life Tarzan will have on these pills (Baytril & Apo-prednisone)...?
I am very happy that I didnt have to make that decision tonight, but these things have a tendency to come back and get worse, and cause so much pain..:confused:

luckypenny
February 12th, 2007, 06:22 PM
JennieV, if he's not showing any signs of pain, just love him up and keep him comfortable. If it is time, this is the best you can offer him. If the vet can not do anything certain for him, he's better at home with you than being poked and prodded by strangers. I understand where you're coming from. Our thoughts are with you.

x.l.r.8
February 13th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Threads like this always make me so very sad. I have nothing to add :sorry: except many people read these things and hope the best for you and your pet.
Whatever the outcome, it sounds like Tarzan (GREAT name by the way) is having the best care he could possibly get from you and is very lucky to have you as an owner.
I Hope things go your way :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: for the both of you.

Golden Girls
February 13th, 2007, 08:11 AM
I'm so sorry. Tarzan's lucky to have such a loving owner :grouphug: :pray: Our thoughts are with you both, again :grouphug:

rainbow
February 13th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Sending positive thoughts and lots of hugs your way. :grouphug: :fingerscr :goodvibes: :grouphug:

pacemaker
February 13th, 2007, 07:51 PM
I really feel for you, With my last girl, it happened so suddenly & ended with an emergency Vet visit during the night. The vet only advised what where the probable causes, but left any decision making to me, a horrible, horrible thing for anyone to face.
I knew at the time that she would not see the night out and took what steps that I thought where best for her.
The Vet advised that they could do tests, but no staff availible till the morning, and I could not stand the idea of her being alone in a cage at the hospital. However she was not in pain, she was not aware of us or her surroundings.
However, I to have a mistrust of vets, from previous experiences (wrong or right).

What I say to you is from the heart and I offer it only as a suggestion
Nature can be harsh & wonderfull, (If your dog is not in pain or distressed and if you feel that any further action/medication would futile, then make your dog as comfortable as possible.) and let nature take care of him.
Be comfortable with the fact that you have done the best for him, and that he knows and loves you for it.

Prin
February 13th, 2007, 08:15 PM
:grouphug: I'm so sorry you have to make such difficult decisions. You just have to trust that you'll know when the time is right, I guess. :grouphug: :grouphug: :goodvibes:

JennieV
February 14th, 2007, 12:26 PM
I want to thank everyone for your wonderful support, it means A LOT and helps A LOT.
Tarzan is doing MUCH better, he eats and drinks without coaxing, not much, but still.. and yesterday was the first day he actually asked to go out, rather than us dragging him...lol...:crazy:
So I am slightly hopeful, I dont want to be happy and then it might get worse, so I am cautious about letting my guard down about this...I dont think I can go through the up and down again like I did the other day...
This has definitely been a tough year +, my hubby lost his job of 26 yrs, then my mom went through a full blown depression (TG she didnt try to commit suiside, even though she was talking about it), then my dad went through a terrible ordeal getting diagnosed with Cancer, then there was the thing with Max the cat, now this...Its just a lot to deal with for me, plus some rough stuff at work...:sick: So again, your support meant a LOT!!!!
I hope that Tarzan can pull through this, and will have a few more years with us...:goodvibes: :goodvibes: :pray: :fingerscr

wdawson
February 14th, 2007, 12:39 PM
hope it all turns out well:fingerscr

Loves Labs
February 14th, 2007, 03:57 PM
I am sending lots of positive thoughts your way and I am glad to hear things have improved for Tarzan. :fingerscr for a steady improvement :pray:

It sounds like you are doing all you can do, so just keep faith & give him lots of love (which I know you are doing). It sounds like you are having a really tough year - I hope that better times will be coming your way soon.

Not to give you any false hope but I went through the same thing with my parent's 15 yr old lab last year. It was a long time coming (she has a cancerous tumour) and she was going downhill bit by bit for quite a while. One night it seemed like it was the end, so I said my goodbyes and cried all night. She was not eating or moving or responding to anything...it really seemed like it was time.

I lay on the floor with her all night crying....then out of no where she lifted her head and ate some rice I had for her. Then after a while she got up and started slowly walking around and then ate a bit more. In the days after that she got more and more energetic. I couldn't believe my eyes......this was over a year ago now. Today, she is friskier than ever and even runs around with the young ones. I can't explain what happened but it taught me to count each day as a blessing. Now we realize that each day we have with her is a bonus and we make sure to make them all her best.

I wish you the very best.....:grouphug:

rainbow
February 14th, 2007, 06:25 PM
I am so sorry to hear of all the sadness you have had to face in the last year. :grouphug: That is certainly alot for someone to endure. :grouphug:

But, glad to hear Tarzan is feeling better and hope he continues to improve. :fingerscr :pray: :goodvibes:

coppperbelle
February 14th, 2007, 07:47 PM
I think you need a group hug:grouphug:

Keeping our fingers and :pawprint: crossed that he is on the road to recovery.

I too have had a pretty rough year. My father passed away in August after being ill for a number of months, my sister in law passed away three weeks later. A number of other family members and close family friends have also passed in the last year and a half and I keep wondering when this black cloud is going to go away. I know it is difficult but try to keep positive. :grouphug:

mummummum
February 16th, 2007, 07:50 AM
So...how is Tarzan ? Have the prednisone and the antibiotics helped ?

JennieV
February 16th, 2007, 11:40 PM
You guys wont believe this... my dog is too funny! We came down to visit my mom, and we brought him along, because he is better, eats drinks like a champ, gets alot of attention here, and he likes it, and he hates staying behind, I think he feels punished.
Sooooooo... he STOLE :evil: one of my moms dogs bones (the white tubey thingies), carried it over to his huge pillow, "buried" it, and wont let anyone touch it... now heres the FUNNY part: he DOESNT have teeth left! I mean he has the back teeth, but no front ones at all left...:shrug: I guess he will try and GUM the bone...LOL :laughing: :laughing: he never liked treats, bones, toys, cookies and all that junk...but give him a piece of hotdog, or sausage - he is in heaven!
:goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes:
All in all, now I can say we are past the bad part, and he is doing much better!

TeriM
February 17th, 2007, 01:03 AM
Aww, I'm so glad to hear he is feeling better :lovestruck: . Sympathies for your awful year, I've been there and it's very overwhelming at times :grouphug: .

mummummum
February 17th, 2007, 01:22 AM
That's great news JennieV. Hopefully everyone in your family is on the road to recovery :fingerscr

Prin
February 17th, 2007, 01:23 AM
Yey! Good luck for the rest of the recovery! :highfive: :goodvibes: :fingerscr

Mocha's mum
February 17th, 2007, 10:22 AM
he STOLE one of my moms dogs bones (the white tubey thingies), carried it over to his huge pillow, "buried" it, and wont let anyone touch it... :laughing:

What a little sweetheart!! It's fantastic to hear that things are better for Tarzan!! Keep the hot dogs and sausages coming!! :laughing:

JennieV
February 18th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Thanks all!
He is currently sleeping ON the bone, just in case one of the dogs would try to take it away...He was pulling and yanking on it last night, but since no teeth, its all slobbery and goooey, but still intact...:laughing:
Its just soooo weird to see him do it, he is like he got a new lease on life..:highfive:

OntarioGreys
February 18th, 2007, 11:03 AM
That is great news:highfive: