Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Riley needs some food analysis!

TeriM
February 11th, 2007, 03:18 PM
So Riley is reacting badly to his latest bag of dog food. I was trying a TO bag of Wild Natural for the first time. It's been about a week and yes he didn't get converted over properly (my mom bought the food for me when we had to go to a funeral and just mixed it directly with the old food in his container) but his reaction has gotten much worse in the last day or so.

He started with bad gas, some iffy poops and then puked one day this week on hubby (but had just come back from a walk and was still panting when he was fed). Last night he puked again and his poor tummy was making some really awful noises :sad: . Hubby fed him this am before I got up :frustrated: and he wasn't very hungry and then puked again. Oh and I checked his ears and they are a bit gunky where they have been perfect for the last four months.

So, no more Wild Natural for Riley. I am gonna just give him bland food for a few days and then switch back to another flavor of TO. I have tried Ocean Blue, Elk & Salmon, Lamb & Apples and all have been great :) .

The point of my long post is to try to identify what is triggering his reaction. The obvious answer would be chicken but I have fed him homemade chicken mixture in the past and he did awesome on it so ??? The list of foods I have tried is as follows:

Innova Puppy - did ok, bad ears and not so great poops.
Innova EVO - awful! could never get him switched to this so took it back.
BATM - did ok to start but after a few weeks did not seem to do as well, questionable poops etc.
TO - Great with Ocean Blue (although large poops!), Lamb & Apples, Elk & Salmon.

Any thoughts?

rainbow
February 11th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Teri, you said Riley did awful on EVO and Wild and Natural is TO's highest protein food (but not as high as EVO) .....maybe it's still too much protein for him. :shrug: Hugs for Riley. :grouphug:

Prin
February 11th, 2007, 05:38 PM
When did you feed Barking at the moon? Was it right after it came out? Did the version you fed have turkey? Because it has since changed.. If you fed the turkey version, then I'd say the problem is poultry. If you fed the salmon/beef version, then I'd say your problem is chicken and high protein... Boo is super intolerant to chicken in dog food and even in canned dog food, but not to human chicken. If I give him a piece of my chicken from dinner, he's fine. :shrug:

rainbow
February 11th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Wow...that's weird. Especially when some brands say they use "human grade chicken". I wonder what happens to the chicken in the kibble processing? :confused:

Prin
February 11th, 2007, 06:02 PM
No idea. It must break down during cooking or something. :shrug:

gypsy_girl
February 11th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Sounds like a protein intollerance based on the symptoms. I would stick to one of those unusual proteins, and be done with it (elk, salmon, venison) etc
Good luck

TeriM
February 11th, 2007, 08:04 PM
... Boo is super intolerant to chicken in dog food and even in canned dog food, but not to human chicken. If I give him a piece of my chicken from dinner, he's fine. :shrug:

Wow that is very interesting! That would explain my situation. I was thinking chicken but the whole home cooked thing was confusing me. I think the BATM version was the new one (fed in Sept 06) although only about 80% certain. It was quite dark and smelled fishy if that helps. I think (memory sucking :frustrated: ) I wanted to go with the new version because if the old version was changing then I would be starting over again. He really wasn't that bad on the BATM but just wasn't quite right.

Poor Riley has really had a bad day :sad: . His poop is straight liquid and he has had two big puke sessions. Of course he hit the stairs carpet on the worst one :frustrated: . Luckily hubby was home so he got the clean-up detail :love: . He seems much better this afternoon but I think I am gonna fast him till the morning.

Prin
February 11th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Yeah, I'd be on fasting mode for the next 12-24 hours... :o

Boo didn't do well on BATM either... I tried just mixing in a bit and he got gasssssy!! :eek: So no BATM for him.

rainbow
February 11th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Fasting for sure which sucks for a lab :sad: .... then a bland diet. More hugs for Riley. :grouphug: :grouphug:

TeriM
February 11th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Sucks big time for him! He seems to be feeling much better and is definately wondering where dinner is. Went into the laundry room where he is fed and just laid on the floor and looked at his bowl. I did give him a spoonful of yogurt though.

TeriM
February 11th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Riley said thanks so much for the hugs but was hoping maybe you had some spare cookies to go with them :D .

Prin
February 11th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Sure! We can send him dozens of virtual cookies.:o

rainbow
February 11th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Riley can have all the virtual cookies he wants. :D Poor baby.....more hugs for him. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: