Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Electronic Dog Collars

bogartd
February 11th, 2007, 08:50 AM
I'm new to this forum.
I own a 8 month old Golden Doodle.
I need to keep the dog in the back yard. Do I build a fence aroung the perimeter of the back yard or purchase an electronic dog collar?
Would anyone have more info on an electronic dog collar?
I'm not interested in leaving the dog on a leash.

billyp
February 11th, 2007, 10:10 AM
just dont leave the dog outside...
crate him inside if necessary...

Lukka'sma
February 11th, 2007, 10:23 AM
I would say you need to build a fence. Having the dog contained inside of your property safely barricaded is the only way I see to keep it sheltered , not just from wandering off but from others wandering in.
I know of several trainers who regularly use e-collars. I have felt the stimulation of a collar on level 1. I wouldn't explain it as pain but more of a tingle. I do think that if you turned up the level of stim it could cause a very uncomfortable jolt (I would be extremely nervous about delivering this much pain to my dog) Please reconsider the use of the shock collar unless you are properly trained on how to use it.

dustybird
February 11th, 2007, 03:55 PM
I agree, build a fence. I have heard that if there is an electrical storm that they can set the collars off and sometimes fry them and then your dog can get burned/injured. Maybe the new ones are better but I would rather be safe than sorry. Also like lukka said it won't prevent unwanted visitor's from comming on your property.

H.P.
February 11th, 2007, 04:22 PM
I too vote for the fence. I know several dogs that if something runs by that they want (rabbit, kid, etc) they don't even think about the shock. Once they have escaped one time they keep doing it, and you would need the fence anyway.

Lukka'sma
February 11th, 2007, 05:24 PM
I need to keep the dog in the back yard.

Just wondering why the dog can't live in the house with the family? This will be a very heavy-hearted pooch if you condemn it to a lonely life away from its pack members.

rainbow
February 11th, 2007, 06:55 PM
I agree and I hope you only "need" to leave the dog outside when you are away from home. And, definitely build a fence. :dog:

Prin
February 11th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Just wondering why the dog can't live in the house with the family? This will be a very heavy-hearted pooch if you condemn it to a lonely life away from its pack members.

I agree.

There was a dog with an electric fence that lived down the street from me once. He always came to see us anyway.

OntarioGreys
February 12th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Personally I would never use an electric fence, it "might" keep your dog in but does not prevent an aggressive animal from entering your yard and injuring or killing yours.

Dogs are pack animals meaning they require companionship if they are to mature to emotionally stable and healthy animals, which means they should never be confined and restricted to living outdoors alone.
He is at an age where is probably becoming a handful which means you may have to increase his exercise and he may need to be confined to a smaller area of the house if he is getting into mischief, so crate training may be necessary rather tossing him outdoors to live.

dogcatharmony
February 12th, 2007, 03:41 PM
By needing to keep the dog in the backyard........do you mean keep the dog on your property when it is outside doing its business? or outside as to live?

I took it as keeping it in your 'yard" while it is doing dog things.....as the from the other posts people mean to let the dog live outside. Guess there are two ways to take this.

I say build a fence.

sissani
February 12th, 2007, 07:14 PM
A tall fence is probably your best bet, but if you do decide to get an E-fence, make sure you learn how to use it properly. So many people just get it installed, put the collar on and throw the dog out to run until he's zapped, assuming the dog will learn the boundaries. Read the manual, watch the video and talk to a trainer.