Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Nail cutting question -- can I cut this? :D

Prin
February 10th, 2007, 09:56 PM
I took a pic of Boo's nail after I cut it as far as I am allowed to cut.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/Jemma%20and%20Boo%20Jan%20Feb%202007/IMG_6549_1.jpg
You see the little layer below the hard nail? Can I cut that? It's soft but Boo SCREAMS and gets bitey when I get too close to it or poke it with my nail. Is he just being a drama queen or am I stuck leaving his nails long?

Byrd
February 10th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Is that the only nail like that?

Does he normally scream when you cut his nails?

It almost looks like the vein is closer to the surface there (my grooming instructor always said to cut the nail at a 45 degree angle upwards as the quick grows down, so towards the back of the nail - that area - is where the quick is more likely to bleed). The area is almost like the frog on a horse's hoof. I think I would leave it alone and just trim the nails back once a week or so until they are the length you want.

erykah1310
February 10th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Kita has one of those nails too... I cut it once and it bled... now i just trim from the top part and it seems to receed ( from the bottom) those are tricky for sure....

Prin
February 10th, 2007, 11:36 PM
They're ALL like this. :o And they've always been like that. You can see how I cut it, I cut the nail a little farther back than the softy part, but it just doesn't help. They don't get longer, but they don't get shorter either. :shrug:

I just thought he was being a wuss, with the screaming and all because I never knew a dog who felt those that much.

Hunter's_owner
February 11th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Hunters are like that too.
I can never cut his very short at all, and I always thought it was because he was a wimp too:o

technodoll
February 12th, 2007, 10:08 PM
prin you should only cut the hard nail parts. if it's soft, it's the quick and yes it hurts... boo's just telling you what's off-limits :dog:

i think of a dog's nail like a carrot: only cut the dark orange part, the pale orange part is the quick. so trim all around it in little "bites", circle the quick, trim as much of the exterior that you can until the only thing that pokes out is the quick, and then it will get worn down and receed with normal walking on hard surfaces. that's the only painless way i know to make a quick receed... hope this helps! :goodvibes:

Prin
February 12th, 2007, 10:09 PM
But it doesn't receed and it seems to be bulging out more and more out the bottom as he gets older... :o

technodoll
February 12th, 2007, 10:12 PM
yeah some dog's nails are more "horse-shoe" shaped... not much you can do about it unless get a vet to trim it down & cauterize (under anaesthesia). if it doesn't bother boo, i wouldn't worry. you can always have fun with his daggers :D

http://www.pet-pet-blog.net/petpet/wp-content/pinkpolish.jpg

Prin
February 12th, 2007, 10:15 PM
lol Thought about it, but he's a paw licker...:o

Hunter's_owner
February 13th, 2007, 06:28 AM
That's funny TD. Prin Hunter's a paw licker too, maybe it got something to do with the nails. Maybe they are too sensitive or something:shrug:

Prin
February 13th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Yeah, Boo is definitely a drama queen. When I take his boots off, he drops to the ground licking like it's something so traumatic. :rolleyes:

Hunter's_owner
February 13th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Yeah, Hunter does the same thing:D

Sometimes I think he thinks his life depends on being able to lick that paw:rolleyes: And then when I am cutting the nails it is like his life depends on getting me to stop:frustrated:

4thedogs
February 13th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Could you post a pic of the inside of the nail, head on shot. I will be able to let you know if you can take more off by what it looks like inside. The bottom of the nail will be softer but it is not the quick. The quick grows through the center of the nail but added pressure on that soft part may bother him. It doesn't mean you can't take off more of the nail.

Prin
February 13th, 2007, 01:34 PM
You can kind of picture what the front looks like. It's pretty well the same- 1/2 hard and 1/2 soft, but I'll try to take one next time I cut his nails.

4thedogs
February 13th, 2007, 02:58 PM
If you are at the quick you will be able to see it if you know what to look for. This is the problem with many places that cut your dogs nails for you, they only take the tips off because they don't know what to look for especially if the nails are black.

phoenix
February 13th, 2007, 03:10 PM
well, i'm all ears. what do you look for on a black nail??????

I am always nicking Sam because I don't know how to do this properly; even when I take just a bit I sometimes cut him. He has two skinny nails that are easy and two fat nails (on each side) that are difficult on each foot.

4thedogs
February 13th, 2007, 03:28 PM
If you like I can follow you through a nail clip. When was the last time you clipped the nails. This will help me to know how much you have there to clip. I usually do this by showing someone so I will do my best to describe it.

First cut the tip off but cut it on an angle against the curve.

Next shave bit by bit off the end of the nail. Each time looking for a dark center in the nail. Once you notice the circle stop cutting off the length. By taking a little at a time your dog will let you know if you are about to cut the quick.

Now that the length is off begin trimming around the outside of the nail to almost round it out.

Clipping against the curve will allow you to see where the quick is without cutting it.

This will take longer to do the first few times but once you get used to clipping closer to the quick and you know what to look for you will get quicker at it.

technodoll
February 13th, 2007, 06:44 PM
here is an excellent tutorial with lots of pics, info, etc ;) http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/clientED/dog_nails.asp

rainbow
February 13th, 2007, 06:58 PM
I only see the same pic you posted above....no info or tutorials. :shrug:

technodoll
February 13th, 2007, 07:48 PM
sorry rainbow... i fixed the link: http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/clientED/dog_nails.asp

Prin
February 13th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Yeah, I can't get to that pinky-fleshy looking pic with Boo. He starts screaming and biting lonnnnng before that. If I cut that soft tissue I described above, He starts screaming and I can't keep cutting the nail even if I'm not all the way at the quick as described in that vet link...
http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/clientED/images/dog_nails/end.jpg

I cut his nails every 2 weeks though and they don't touch the ground unless he really flexes them.:shrug:

jesse's mommy
February 13th, 2007, 08:03 PM
http://www.pet-pet-blog.net/petpet/wp-content/pinkpolish.jpg

:sorry: :offtopic: That's pretty much what Jesse's nails look like. We've always trimmed them, but they just seem long. :shrug: No matter how much I trim her nails, the quick never receeds. I've kind of accepted that some dogs are just like this I guess. I would love to paint them, but she is a licker too.

technodoll
February 13th, 2007, 08:32 PM
http://www.pamperedpuppy.com/features/merryv/200306_pawlish.php

if i had a cute doggy-girl whose nails i could not get to receed into nice little stumpies :p then i would definitely paint them sometimes, just for kicks! like a couple times per year, special occasions... :D

Prin
February 13th, 2007, 08:37 PM
There was a member here with a dane who polished... Dunno if Boo would like it.:D

technodoll
February 13th, 2007, 08:41 PM
you'd have to be creative and paint boo's nail some funky "army camouflage" color :D "manly"!!

Prin
February 13th, 2007, 08:43 PM
I was thinking flashy silver.:D

technodoll
February 13th, 2007, 08:45 PM
oooooh! or gold! or neon yellow! :D :crazy:

Prin
February 13th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Ooo a bright royal blue! :lovestruck: :D

CyberKitten
February 13th, 2007, 08:55 PM
I agree with TechnoDoll, Boo knows his limits and if he hurts, he is telling you. I cut YY's claw to the quick once and I am sure she was heard in Quebec, my poor baby!! She forgave me tho and still lets me "do her nails", brave girl!

Is it safe to paint a pet's nails? Just thinking out loud - I can see my cats licking theirs off and there are so many carcinogens in that stuff (They never tell you that tho, unless you buy them at places like The Body Shop or a pet store, can you buy nail polish at a pet store??? I know my Ms Pink Chelsea would adore it, lol (She is a little Miss Pinkie!)

technodoll
February 13th, 2007, 08:57 PM
cyberkitten, you can find lots of "pet safe" nail polish for dogs nowadays... everything's been invented it seems! LOL

phoenix
February 13th, 2007, 09:06 PM
OK, thanks for the link, TD, but my dog's nails look nothing like that. They are thick and fat and straight but long. No curve, no taper. Even if I take a tiny nip off (I have scissor-type cutter) I often make him bleed.
Maia has white nails, so I can see her quicks...
I think my biggest problem is should I angle the cut up, down or cut straight across?? ie. shorter top than botton, shorter bottom than top, or even?

I haven't trimmed Sam in a while, and can hear tic tic. when he walks. I am not sure how long it has been but certainly too long. I kind of gave up.

Prin
February 13th, 2007, 09:12 PM
I cut the top shorter than the bottom just because the bottom wears out more quickly than the top ever will. :shrug: Maybe you should ask your vet to show you how to do it on him specifically. :shrug: