Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

We're Good with the Pee- What about Pooping?

kathleen86
February 10th, 2007, 09:43 PM
How's that for a descriptive title!

This is my first post, I lurked a lot before I got my puppy, but now I have a question.

I have a 10 week old Pomeranian named Bronte. She pees quite frequently on her pee pad, but has the odd accident. We're fine with that- if we catch her, we move her and tell her No! If we find an accident, we clean it up. No problem.

But out of the two weeks we've had her, she has only pooped on the pee pad about 2 on her own, and about 5 times with us putting her there and saying, "Go Potty!"

We quite frequently catch her sniffing and squating, so I quickly transfer her to the pad, and she goes there. But it's getting her there in the first place that's the issue!

Does anyone have any tips others than constant supervision, which is difficult at best, for training her to do both businesses on her pad?

She doesn't want to go for wlaks because it is so very cold here, she was shaking too hard to walk! So outdoors is not an option right now.

Does she need a doggy litter box? Or can you train pups to go on pee pads?

Any input is great, everyone! Thanks in advance.

Lukka'sma
February 10th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Does anyone have any tips others than constant supervision, which is difficult at best, for training her to do both businesses on her pad?

I have heard of many people that keep a young puppy on a leash even in the house and keep the leash attached to their belt. It is an easy way to give you constant supervision. That way puppy is free somewhat, but not free to make mistakes.
Also you have only had the puppy a couple of weeks and maybe you just need to give it a bit more time before your puppy gets the whole picture.

mummummum
February 10th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Yes ~ that's a greater header on your post.

:sad: but you got a puppy at 8 weeks ? While it's obviously too late to "give her back", who ever sold you this puppy was extremely irresponsible and likely no a real breeder.:sad: But, there's no turning back time is there ?

If your ultimate goal to get her to do her biz outside, then you need to (when she is a few weeks older) get her a warm and woolly coat and boots and get her outside on a regular schedule. The paper/ peepads should be for the "in-betweens". If a "litter box of sorts" is okay for you, then that's what you need to focus on.

Constant supervision is necessary but so is containment. If you are in the livingroom, then so is she and she can't go any any where else. The litterbox/peepads need to cover all the space she is in ~ she is after all very, very young. Slowly decrease the space the peepads cover until they only surround the litterbox or one peepad area (if the goal is to go outside).

I will tell you that one of my dog-acquaintances has always had Poms and they run (she jogs) a couple of kilometres with her every day no matter the weather.

kathleen86
February 10th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Thanks for all the info!

We crate her when we are not around, and when she sleeps, and she never goes pee or poop in her crate, but she cries a lot, so we don't leave her in there while we're around.

She is confined to the living room, and her pee pad is in one corner- I am guessing that is too big a space? I didn't realize it needed to cover her whole space, obviously that would only work if she was crated constantly.

The umbilical cord method might be next, but like the first respondant said, she may just be getting her barings.

I believe the breeder was reputable, she came highly recommended and Bronte has all her papers, but one can never be sure.

As for the walking, I am totally willing to walk her, but it seems like is actually hurts her (even with booties and a little snowsuit we bought her. I think it is the wind, mostly- she is just so small that walking anyway is really difficult, she gets blown around a lot, and snow get blown onto her. I will definitely try walking her again really soon though.

Another question, relating to that- we live in an apartment building. For any others that do, how do you teach dogs to let you kow when they want outside, since we can't just open the door for her and let her out on a leash, we have to get her dressed up, get us dressed, down 16 stories and then outside- it seems really far removed from the initial need. Do dogs actually learn to ask to go out in this situation?

Anyway, I mostly wanted to know if it was normal for her to still poop all over, and rarely on the peepad. My mom (who has never trained a dog but still has an opinion on everything) says it is taking too long.

Bronte is quite smart and already knows her name, and to come when she's called. She also goes potty on command, if she needs to go.

Our only real issues with her are the crying and barking in the crate at night (which is getting better), and the nipping, which we are working on, but mostly the poop factor.

Thanks for the ideas and thoughts, I will update if there is any progress, which I am sure there will be.

Just wanted to add that even if it wasn't "too late" to give her back, I wouldn't. She deserves a good home, and I know I can give her that. She doesn't have any issues, I am just a new dog owner!

mummummum
February 11th, 2007, 01:34 AM
Kathleen ~ I hope you've posted pix somewhere here yes ? She sounds adorable.

I've only ever had big dogs which are (in my opinion different) than wee dawgies. At eight weeks she should have still been with her mother ~ big dog or small dog. So at ten weeks she is quite lost.

So.... if you are in the livingroom > cover the entire livingroom with pee pads/paper. Every evening remove a sheet(s) until you are eventually down to one or two. By 3-4 months you should be down to one or none (unless you choose to go the litter box route).

As for teaching a dog to tell you when they need to go ~ every dog I've ever had has had no problem in that direction. They either sit there and stare at you with such ferocity that you cannot possibly fail to notice or they whine, cry, bark or woof.

Don't worry so much ! The fact that you are already asking these questions tells me you are a great Mum already.