Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rant about cars

raingirl
February 10th, 2007, 03:45 PM
I have a rant about cars, insurance, and stupid government agencies...

So. I broke up with my ex in November. we owned a car together. It was mine in all technicalities, since I paid for it, but it was in both our names because insurance was cheaper that way.

Since we broke up, i had been using it. I moved Feb 1, and just before that, i emailed my ex to let him know i needed him to sign the ownership over to me so I could get insurance. Well, turns out he canceled the insurance on me A MONTH AGO!! He apparently emailed me but I didn't get it. So I was driving a whole month without insurance!!! This made me very depressed.

So now I have a car but can't use it because I have no insurance. And I can't get insurance until the car is in my name. On top of that, because of the car going only into my name, the insurance is like twice the cost!!

I had no choice but to bus it out to my sisters house, borrow her car. I got the documents signed for the car, went to a vehicle licensing place, and they said I had two choices. Bring my ex with me, swear we aren't together under oath, and he signs the car over to me. Or I pay several hundred $$ to get my car a safety/emissions test, and i buy it off of myself/him as if it were a used vehicle. At this point, i burst into tears at the licensing place, because i have been so stressed figuring this out. I am broke, so I have no choice but to have to see my ex and get it done that way.

I convince him to meet me at a licensing place after work last Thursday, we get there, it's very stressful, walk up to the counter. "no, sorry, we don't have someone who does oaths at this location" (it was a different location than the one I went to). They gave us a form we have to take to a lawyer/notary to fill out. Now this means i have to see him again.

I made a ton of calls yesterday and today to find either a licensing place that has a commisioner of oaths on site on an evening or weekend (there are none) or tried to find a notary open late during the week or on weekends (couldn't find one). So now I have to either leave work early or take a day off to do this.

I am so depressed over this. On top of it all, i was reading the regulations for cars, and I don't even know if they will switch the ownership to me without proof of insurance, which I can't get yet!! I HAVE to get this done, I know that.

I just cant seem to function right now. I feel so crappy and tired and depressed. My life is in a mess. I moved and my stuff is everywhere. I can't find anything. My place is a mess. My roommates are sorta ok. One ?(he) is great, the others are annoying (they are a couple). One of them has never lived alone (he) and the other is a complete PIG (she)!! THey are away this week, and she used almost every dish in the house, and didn't wash them!! I kept telling him that his GF (who never comes out of her room when we are home) used all the dishes, could she wash them. Well, she told him they were OUR dishes! I was like, uh, no...I washed ALL the dishes I used each day for the last two weeks. He has no idea she is so messy. And I can't function in messes or places I have no control over.

I hate this...

Frenchy
February 10th, 2007, 03:55 PM
I'm so sorry Raingirl :sad: I know how hard it can be (been there) but it can only get better right? Hang in there :grouphug:

chico2
February 10th, 2007, 04:12 PM
OMG Raingirl,it seems like you've had your fill of frustration for the year:evil:
How is Odin,is he with you or the ex???

JennieV
February 10th, 2007, 04:32 PM
so sorry to hear about all the trouble you're going through!! Seems to me you need a :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: and some :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

Prin
February 10th, 2007, 04:50 PM
:grouphug: I hope you figure it all out soon and cut your ties once and for all.... :grouphug: :grouphug: I'm sorry about your crappy roommates too... if I was in that position, I'd probably keep my dishes and stuff in my room with a lock on the door. :o

raingirl
February 10th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the hugs. The last few months have been trying. I just want to get on with my life. Moving really killed my finances too. I am soooo broke. Thank goodness there is free internet and cable here (by free i mean, my other roommates aren't charging me for using it)

I wish my roommates didn't suck, but I had to move out and couldn't afford to live alone. I think this week while the two annoying ones are away, i will be creating a few rules lists and post them around. I did the dishes today, took me about 2 hours to do them all. 95% of all spoons/forks/knives/plates/bowls/cups in the house were used!! None of them were mine.

I just don't see why I have to go through all this crap to just put the car from in my name and his to just my name. It's just a money grab...

JennieV
February 10th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Raingirl, if I may suggest....Once you do the lists, wait till they come back and discuss them with the people involved, explaining why you feel it is necessary to implment these rules. I feel that it could potentially create an unpleasant situation for you (not that it is pleasant now), that they may feel insulted or whatever:rolleyes: ...And once you do put the rules into work, if they do not follow, just take your dishes, and once you use them, wash them and bring them into your room and avoid keeping your stuff with theirs..:frustrated: They will use it and not clean up. And, dont keep washing the dishes, because why would they do it if theres a free maid???:frustrated: :frustrated:
Keep your chin up, its tough right now, but things will get better...

wdawson
February 10th, 2007, 10:55 PM
sell the car and start from scratch.......it might save you legal fees .

Maya
February 10th, 2007, 11:45 PM
I know what you mean about the mess and not knowing where anything is.:sad::grouphug: It's annoying that some people never had to learn how to look after themselves. I've wondered how these people survive but I guess they usually find someone else to do thier work for them.:frustrated: :rolleyes:

Shaykeija
February 11th, 2007, 12:59 AM
I had roommates like that years ago. I finally just used paper plates and plastic tableware. and styrofoam cups. They got the message.:frustrated:

AliSam
February 11th, 2007, 09:45 AM
I am so sorry you are going through this Raingirl. Breaking up & moving to the unfamiliar is stessful enough. I know things will work out. Give Odin a hug.:grouphug: