- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


ID required to get into the USA

February 10th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Hey guys,

I don't travel a lot, but I"m going to Rhode Island with a few friends in March, and we are driving down. One friend has never been out of Canada and doesn't really have any ID.

I tried looking online, but I can't find anything that tells me what would be legal ID. It's too late for a passport or to get a drivers license.

Any ideas?

February 10th, 2007, 02:41 PM
It is my understanding that if you fly, you will need a passport. If you are a passenger in a vehicle I would be taking a birth certificate at the very least.

February 10th, 2007, 02:44 PM
TeriM said you don't need a passport for driving... She posted the link in the TJT somewhere...

Does she have a driver's licence? Medicare card?

February 10th, 2007, 02:56 PM
We are driving. He has an expired drivers license. He does have a valid Ontario Photo ID Health Card, but some websites say it's ok, others say it's not. ANd he has his birth certificate.

February 10th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Why doesn't he renew his licence before you go? :shrug:

February 10th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Found it!

Do I need a passport to travel to the United States?
Since January 23, 2007, a new American law requires everyone entering the United States BY AIR to have a valid passport.

Canadians can continue to use such documents as their birth certificates and drivers’ licence to cross the Canada-U.S. border BY LAND AND SEA for at least another year.

For further information, visit the Canadian Border Services Agency’s Web site (

February 10th, 2007, 03:16 PM
In Ontario, you can't just "Renew" your driver's license. Once it expires, if you don't renew within like 30 days, you revert to a status as if you never had one before. Stupid Graduated licensing means he would have to start from a G1. Even so, it costs $125 for the test/renewal and 6 weeks to mail the card to him with his photo on it. His old card is all damaged and you can't see the photo (it expired a few years ago).

He could get a passport, but they are delayed right now. And requesting super fast service would be like $200...on top of that, he doesn't know anyone who has known him for 2 years who can vouch for his identity, like a doctor or something. There is a form he could complete and have a judge sign it, but that costs extra $$...

We are leaving in less than 4 weeks.

February 10th, 2007, 03:19 PM
lol that sucks... then that friend should stay home :rolleyes:

February 10th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the link. I'm checking them out

February 10th, 2007, 03:22 PM

You should receive a renewal application or postcard in the mail to the last address registered on the ministry's database approximately 60 to 90 days prior to your driver's licence expiry date. If you do not receive or have lost a renewal application, a new one can be printed, and your licence renewed while you wait, at any Driver & Vehicle Licence Issuing Office. You can renew an expired driver's licence, without taking tests, within one year of the licence expiry date.
not 30 days.

If your licence has invalid for more than three years, you must pass vision, knowledge and road tests.
(Ontario gov site can't do grammar lol)

has the liscence been invalid for more than 3 years??

February 10th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Noooo. They can't stay home. It's three of us going, and he and I are going to a conference. THe third person is only going half way to Connecticut, and we are picking him up on the way back.

We already paid for the tickets, he needs ID!!!

I wish i could find out if the Health Card is legal ID or not yet...

February 10th, 2007, 03:44 PM
why not just call them and ask?? teh passport ppl

February 10th, 2007, 04:57 PM
I think it falls under a govt photo ID...
What Canadians need to enter the United States by land and sea
Currently, Canadians do not require a passport or visa to visit the United States from Canada by land and sea. Canadians can still enter the United States by providing proof of citizenship and identity, such as a birth certificate and government-issued photo identification (e.g. driver's licence).

February 11th, 2007, 02:35 AM
He just needs a government issued photo ID of some sort and a birth certificate. That is the info required to complete a passport application so it is also the acceptable id for driving across the border.