Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Microwave Ovens

rainbow
February 9th, 2007, 09:57 PM
We want to get a new microwave. The one we've got works fine 20 yr. old :eek: ) but takes up too much room. I don't use it for cooking....only re-heating or making popcorn.

I seen a little one at Canadian Tire for $39.99.....perfect size to sit on the counter. It's only 700 watts...is that good enough for what I need?

technodoll
February 9th, 2007, 10:09 PM
well... you do get what you pay for :o IMO hard to find a good, new microwave for $40, unless it's heavily discounted. What is the brand? what is the interior cubic footage? if it's too small, you might have foods get stuck while rotating (it has a rotating plate, right?). you might not fit what you need in there, unless you are only reheating small dishes. some cheaper microwaves are loud, they can break, heat unevenly, etc. so do check for more than wattage, also check consumer reviews :angel:

Prin
February 9th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Costco is good for microwaves... You can always check consumer reports too. :)

rainbow
February 9th, 2007, 10:19 PM
TD, it was a Magnasonic. :shrug: Can't remember the cu. ft. but it looked big enough for a bag of popcorn. :D Like I said, I only use it for popcorn and re-heating and I only re-heat a bowl of leftovers. :o

Prin, no Costco here :sad: but thanks for the reminder of "Consumer Reports"....I'll have to check their latest book the nect time I'm in town. ;)

technodoll
February 9th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Magnasonic should be good... and for your usage, sounds like a deal! do check the warranty though and if it suits you... go for it!!! of course... we'll want a photo of that hot tasty popcorn :p

Prin
February 9th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Don't expect the new ones to last like the old ones, eh? :laughing:

Prin
February 9th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Ooo my step bro in law's Consumer reports subscription still works. :evil:

Sharp is #1, followed by Panasonic, for the mid-sized (aka huge but that's as small as they get on CR...). But overall, Amana and Frigidaire have the least number of repairs.:shrug:

rainbow
February 9th, 2007, 10:46 PM
TD, it's only a one year warranty and five years on the "nukie stuff". :rolleyes:

Prin, thanks for the CR info. We've only looked at Canadian Tire. We can go to Home Hardware tomorrow to see what they've got and Walmart next time we go to Trail or Nelson. :)

Maya
February 10th, 2007, 03:19 AM
It is surprising how it can look like that bag will fit and then it still gets stuck.:rolleyes: Maybe bring a popped bag with you.:p

wdawson
February 10th, 2007, 11:29 AM
for $40 if it breaks after a year or two....just replace it , it's not a huge investment.

rainbow
February 10th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Maya, it had a "popcorn" button so it should be big enough. :shrug:

Wayne, I was thinking the same thing. :D

Prin
February 10th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Maya, it had a "popcorn" button so it should be big enough. :shrug: lol that's a good one.:D:laughing:

rainbow
February 10th, 2007, 01:51 PM
First thing I noticed. :D

Prin
February 10th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Yeah, but it doesn't really mean anything... I mean, they just preset buttons for certain times... 2 min, 3 min, 4 min...
"Hey Bob, what takes 4 mins?"
"I dunno.. hotdogs?"
"Nah I only have a popcorn sticker and a potato sticker left."
"Oh popcorn, for sure then."
:D

rainbow
February 10th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the laugh. :D :laughing:

Maya
February 10th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Well that'll be your clue then! Mine definitely doesn't have a popcorn button, they probably didn't even make popcorn bags when this thing was manufactured.:p

happycats
February 10th, 2007, 07:40 PM
You should go to places that have "open box discounts" or "last years models"
you can get a great appliance with a large discount.

I get many of my appliances at Future shop. I got my microwave there last year (at about this time) and I got a $159.99 panasonic microwave for $59.99 with a five year warranty!! ( it was the previous years model and they were just getting rid of them) You also have to get a good salesman, willing to negotiate:)