Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

pets and baths

breeze
February 9th, 2007, 04:36 PM
a trainer told me once that if you use a good oatmeal shampoo then you could give a dog a bath once a week is it true or not??

jesse's mommy
February 9th, 2007, 04:42 PM
My answer isn't there so I didn't vote. We give Jesse a bath either when she starts smelling, we go to the dog park, or she tells us. (Yes she tells us. She jumps in the tub and won't get out until we give her a bath!). We use Johnsons baby shampoo for her.

erykah1310
February 9th, 2007, 04:45 PM
The dogs here only get bathed twice a year... usually only in the summer.
There are circumstances that would warrant an extra bath ( rolling in lovely smelling things at camp) but for the most part... just twice a year..
Bailey has had 3 baths since he's been here, but mostly just because of the mud that we had a while back.
Cant vote.

Golden Girls
February 9th, 2007, 05:02 PM
LOL I voted once a month only in spring summer and fall. I have no choice as they go out so often + always getting into something. I use baby shampoo but I have used the oatmeal, I love the smell.

Dogastrophe
February 9th, 2007, 05:10 PM
My answer is not here. The pups get a bath when they need it, more often in the spring and summer, less often in the fall and winter.

breeze
February 9th, 2007, 05:16 PM
when we had coby he was a recue and he stood in water all the time so he would not even go near water unless to drink that was a hard one to bath (we managed) Nakita we can only give her a bath in the spring summer or fall as I found out the hard way never bath a huskey in the winter lol:laughing: now if she get into the tub i'm happy( she is not doing very well) as for bree because she is a puppy i have no choice one a week she jumps into the shower with me when she wants a bath that is funny to see( the dog) but we do use oatmeal shampoo ( she get into everything), thank god she likes water.:p

papillonmama
February 9th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Hmm, my answer wasn't there either. I do the spring, summer, fall thing, but usually it's quite often in the spring and fall - the muddy months, and maybe once a month in the summer months. And when stinky of course.

I avoid bathing Dory in the winter because she gets very dry skin, and stripping her fur of the oils never helps, (her little problem sounds like this, scratch scratch scratch, allll night and day). Even with oatmeal shampoo it doesn't help with that problem. She has very winter sensitive skin though.

Honestly, I don't use the oatmeal shampoo very often and tend to use a watered down baby shampoo instead. It works for Dory.

Prin
February 9th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Once a season, or when they're greasy or filthy.

Frenchy
February 9th, 2007, 06:48 PM
2-3 times a year. Or like last summer, Bailey got 3 in a week by rolling on some dead thing... and then poop....:yuck: they could use one now but I can't get them in the bath alone. Sam doesn't fit in the shower. I do have some no rince shampoo I use in between baths.

Mocha's mum
February 9th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Mocha gets a bath when he goes to the groomer (3-4 times a year). He doesn't tolerate mum doing it too well, but when I absolutely have to bath him (ie: he's been in the mud or in a slough on the farm), I use baby shampoo. And lots of it!! I hate that wet doggy smell :yuck:

technodoll
February 9th, 2007, 07:27 PM
my answer is not here :o

maika gets a bath about 3 or 4 times per year, she's got an awesome "self-cleaning coat" but living in the city there is greasy grime and dirt and oily mud that just has to be washed out with shampoo, regardless.

dakotah needs baths about every 6 weeks, his white coat gets absolutely :yuck: , if it was thicker and longer (ie a real akita coat) it would probably stay cleaner longer though. :o

We bathe both akitas in our tiny bathroom, we just climb into the bathtub with them. We use and LOVE the "Bark to Basic's Whitening Shampoo" :thumbs up

breeze
February 9th, 2007, 07:32 PM
bree could use a bath but i can't until her staples are remove :yuck:

Hunter's_owner
February 11th, 2007, 03:21 PM
I bathe Hunter and Cassie once a season as well.
I use a doggy shampoo that brings out the shine in dark coats for Hunter and another doggie shampoo for Cassie.

Lukka'sma
February 11th, 2007, 06:01 PM
My answer is not there so I didn't vote.
Lukka has had one head to toe bath in her life and two spot baths to clean muddy legs and belly from digging.
I would not bath her regularly unless she is covered in mud or the unthinkable:eek:

mummummum
February 12th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Rarely now...in fact I can't remember when I last gave the grrrrl's a full bath (SENILITY on part likely). They all go the groom twice a year for the Beauth Treatments. De-mucking rinses with the shower head in the mucky times as needed. They swim alot during the summer which seems to keep them clean and don't seem to have that "Wet Dawg Smell". :shrug:

LynLyn
February 12th, 2007, 06:28 PM
I voted once every two weeks but giving bowser a bath is not my choice, he jumps into the shower with me when he feels like getting a bath, and I have his doggy shampoo in there cause I too hate the wet dog smell

OntarioGreys
February 13th, 2007, 02:16 PM
My greyhounds and about once a year, damp cloth wipe if they are dirty
Nikki 2 times a year

Winnie is a breed(chinese crested) that must be bathed a lot with moisturizer applied after every bath , basically 3 times a week otherwise blackhead and pimples form, so he just goes in the shower with me on his bath days