Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Introducing Sunshine ... my new foster.

Esaunders
February 9th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Well, it looks like I've joined the ranks of the rescue fostering.

Just started fostering this little one last week. 6 year old english setter (field) and the sweetest little thing.

Evidently she was brought into the humane society half-starved and missing all the fur from her belly from filthy conditions. Guess she wasn't pumping the puppies out so well anymore.

Amos isn't too happy having to share his bully sticks though

chico2
February 9th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Esaunders,what a lucky girl,she looks like a really small setter,but maybe it's a HUGE crate:confused:
Amos will soon happily share his bully-stick,I'm sure:lovestruck:

Esaunders
February 9th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Its only a 400 size crate, just fits Amos. She's a field-style setter and so is much smaller (40lbs adult weight vs 55lbs adolescent) and probably 3-4 inches shorter.

You should see her when she steals Amos' wire crate, she can practically run around it.

They keep running back and forth, stealing each other's crates and bully sticks. Its TOO funny :laughing:

I've never seen such a snuggle-bunny either. She worms her way up on the sofa with her head tucked under your chin, nuzzling in for all she's worth.

Prin
February 9th, 2007, 07:23 PM
:highfive: Congrats on the foster! Good luck! She's a pretty girl.:grouphug:

rainbow
February 9th, 2007, 07:32 PM
What a sweetie. :lovestruck: She looks very happy despite all the abuse she's been through.

Frenchy
February 9th, 2007, 07:55 PM
OHHH I'm jealous ! She's beautiful ! :cloud9:

Esaunders
February 9th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Besides sweet, she's smart, SUPER trainable, already comes when called in the dog park and fetches balls to hand. Her housetraining is even pretty good considering that she's been in a barn as far as anyone knows

How someone could neglect a dog this nice and easy is beyond me.

Frenchy
February 9th, 2007, 09:44 PM
I going thru the same thing with foster Nelly. Was in a puppy mill (barn) and she is extremely velcro. All they ask for is love.

hazelrunpack
February 9th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Sunshine is a little cutie, Esaunders! :thumbs up Full-mask tricolors aren't that common. She's very pretty. And you can see she's sweet from the look in her eyes! :cloud9:

Prin
February 9th, 2007, 11:41 PM
So where are the new pics? :D Forever homes are all about advertising.;)

TeriM
February 10th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Awww, she is very cute :lovestruck: . So happy :love: she has a great chance at a new life.

chico2
February 10th, 2007, 07:56 AM
It's amazing how these animals coming from abusive situations are still capable of love and trust:lovestruck:

meb999
February 10th, 2007, 09:40 AM
she's gorgeous....thank you for taking her in -- she's very lucky :lovestruck: :cloud9:

Esaunders
April 3rd, 2007, 09:37 AM
How could you say no to this face? We've had 2 turn-downs this week.

Frenchy
April 3rd, 2007, 12:30 PM
:cloud9: she's so cute ! :lovestruck: is she on the web somewhere ? Can we see her profile, do you adopted out dogs to people from Quebec ? (just asking a few questions here, people, don't get any ideas just yet :D ) you can pm me if you like, don't give any of these infos to Hazelrunpack before I check them out :laughing: :evil:

Esaunders
April 3rd, 2007, 12:44 PM
She's listed on petfinder with Setter Sanctuary courtesy of English Setter Rescue but should be up under Setter Sanctuary's profile today.

I am just boggled considering she is one of the easiest dogs I've ever met and is pretty much velcro indoors & out, unlike most setters.

Frenchy
April 3rd, 2007, 12:46 PM
:yell: I can't get to petfinder from work, but will check it out tonight at home. If Hazel inquires about her, just tell her the dog can only be place with goldens :laughing:

Frenchy
April 3rd, 2007, 12:48 PM
pretty much velcro indoors & out, unlike most setters.

So you're telling me if she was to be walk off leash, she wouldn't stray ? Does she likes other dogs and cats?

hazelrunpack
April 3rd, 2007, 01:02 PM
I am just boggled considering she is one of the easiest dogs I've ever met and is pretty much velcro indoors & out, unlike most setters.

Whaddya mean "unlike most setters"?!? I have 6 that hang off me indoors...very hard to walk! :laughing:

She does look like a sweetie... :lovestruck:

happycats
April 3rd, 2007, 01:26 PM
Congrats!! your and :angel: for fostering! What a cutie pie, and no I don;t know how anyone could resist such a smootchie face like that:lovestruck:

Esaunders
April 3rd, 2007, 02:38 PM
LOL ... setters ALWAYS hang off you indoors, outdoors is usually another matter.

Its a riot when I take her to the leash-free with Amos. He takes off immediately and checks in occasionally. She ranges after birds for a couple minutes at a time and then comes back to hang beside me. The girl knows who feeds her and isn't getting very far from that. (I can't leave the park to throw out poop bags, she wiggles out after me)

She's quite the hilarious little matriarch. Those who greet with absolute respect are greeted with polite reserve, those who don't meet her level of politeness are instructed. Then she goes on her merry way. Amos has had no problems with her at all. She's in charge & he lets her be.

And can she EVER work the "sad, unloved, lonely setter" routine when she wants attention ... as you can see from the sofa pic.

SnowDancer
April 3rd, 2007, 06:06 PM
Sunshine is a twin, both in looks and size to a lovely little girl who lives in Italy - the fur daughter of the pensione owner where I like to stay. Her name is Mosquito - and well, just like real mosquitoes, Mosquito the Setter adores me. In 2004 after my last little mini Dachshund died I did some research into adopting a English Setter after our return from Italy - first time my husband had met Mosquito. But I was quickly given the brush-off by Toronto area rescues when they asked the infamous "do you have a fenced yard" question - No - not that it would matter - pup is never off leash with me and having always had hounds, where there is a will, there is a way. I even contacted a couple of breeders - hard to find at that time - one being very far north and raising dogs mainly for hunting. Not for me. So we ended up with Elmo the Eskimo who turned 3 April 1 - and who yesterday went for his physical. We really did not want a puppy at our ages, were looking for a pup around 3 or older - Sunshine would have been ideal - and we live in Toronto. I did look at her on Petfinder and noted an adoption is pending. Hope it goes through. We just are not prepared any longer to have 2 dogs - had multiples for many years. Actually Mosquito's mom told me that in recent years she had not seen many young English Setters and had started to get concerned that there might be a health issue - she is mid 40s and has always had this breed. Hope Sunshine is in good health - apparently Elmo is - although we are waiting now for results of "samples".

Esaunders
April 3rd, 2007, 07:15 PM
Unfortunately the pending is what fell through.

The lack of young english setters appears to be a popularity issue more than a health issue, especially with the energy level of the young field style setters.

My young english setter grabs attention everywhere we take him. Most people we meet don't even know they exist as a breed. Its unfortunate since they are wonderful dogs.