Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Recycling For Animals!!

Mahealani770
February 9th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Hello everyone! I have decided to start a recycling program at my job that will benefit the humane society that is most in need in my county. I'm going to drag out an old recycling bin from the storage closet, make up a nice pretty sign, stick it in the break room, and ask people to put their aluminum cans in it. I will then be responsible for hauling the cans to the local recycling plant, collect money for the cans, and then give the money to the humane society. I am sooooooooooooo excited!!!! However, I need help with a catchy slogan. I already know that I'd like to put little paws all over the sign, but what about a slogan? Got any ideas?

Thanks! :D
~M~

trippincherri
February 9th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Thats a great idea M!!
Totally stumped on the slogan though....hard to think of something catchy.

Stacer
February 9th, 2007, 04:42 PM
CCC = Cans for Cats and Canines
or
Recycle Rescue
or
Your Cans For Their Lives (with sad pictures of kitties and dogs)
or
Animal Cans

I could go on....but I'll give others a go at it!

chico2
February 9th, 2007, 05:03 PM
A Meow and a Woof for your cans,the cats and dogs will thank you:cat: :dog:

my[moo]
February 9th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Thats a great idea!! :) I really like the CCC idea..can't really think of any though..sorry! Good luck with it..:)

Shamrock
February 9th, 2007, 06:15 PM
What a wonderful idea, Mahealani!:highfive:
A name..hmm,.that is tough. You're right.. should be catchy, and clearly promote what its for.

How about Critter-Aid,.. or maybe Critter-Cans?
A photo of a cat and dog could be added as a nice touch.

erykah1310
February 9th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Thats a great idea!!!!:thumbs up

Prin
February 9th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Ooo good idea! How about "Dog and Cat Food and Goods Drive"... hehe, yeah, slogans aren't my thing.:D

Help for hounds and hissers?

rainbow
February 9th, 2007, 10:42 PM
What a great idea. :highfive: I'm not good at slogans either :o ....but I like the "Cans for Cats and Canines" one. :thumbs up Good luck with your endeavor and let us know how it goes. :fingerscr

t.pettet
February 10th, 2007, 08:21 PM
A spay/neuter org. I belong to has jars on store counters that reads: "Dimes for Dogs" and it reads "spay/neuter assist fund" label on bottom. The money collected also contributes to cats spay/neuter. Frequently people will drop all their small change into these jars and it all adds up. Sorry I'm not very good on slogans either.

mummummum
February 10th, 2007, 10:24 PM
What a great idea ! I wish we had something like that here.

"Critter cans" ~ love it !

Shamrock
February 11th, 2007, 12:51 AM
I dont have a workplace in which to collect cans.. but you have given me an idea with this great project idea, Mahealani.:highfive:

I generally just throw out my water and pop bottles - that is, I put them in the recycling bin for collection rather than return them for the deposit. Instead, I could just store them.. and return them for the cash. It would take longer to mount up, but when I have reached a certain amount, donate it to a local animal rescue. Money that I have literally been throwing away could benefit the animals.
I donate now once a year, but this could be a little extra.

I like the CCC suggestion for a name!:thumbs up

Here's a couple more for you.:) I love the "name ideas" just for the fun of it,:D but I'm sure you will come up with something perfect!

Animal's Recycling Fund (ARF)

Pop-Drop For Pets

Pets In Need Kollection (The PINK project)

A decorative jar nearby as t. pettet has suggested is a great idea to encourage people to drop off not just their cans.. but the option of a bit of loose change as well. It all adds up!

Good luck with this, Mahealani, I hope it's a wonderful success! :fingerscr

Mahealani770
February 11th, 2007, 02:12 AM
Wow, thanks for all your ideas everyone! What a creative bunch you are :thumbs up I too love the CCC idea and "the PINK project" is adorable!!
Keep it up with the suggestions and I'll let you know what I decide on.
~M~

Originally Posted by: PRIN
Help for hounds and hissers

LMAO!! Good one Prin :laughing:

Shamrock - That's exactly where the idea came from. I was drinking a soda and threw it away when I was done and I thought, what a waste! So, I have been keeping aluminum cans in a bag in my laundry room, but then at work yesterday it hit me like a ton of bricks when I saw someone throwing away their empty soda can in the break room. Let's recycle!!! :D Then I thought, Hmm, I think you can get money for aluminum cans...what could I do with that money?? I know!! The humane society!!! lol I'm always trying to come up with ideas to help animals in some way, so this is perfect. I'm just waiting for my manager to bless the project at work and then "we're in business baby!!" lol AndgGood luck with your recycling project too!

mummummum
February 11th, 2007, 02:50 AM
In Ontario we no longer (from a ...gawd how sad is that ? I don't even know how how to spell *fogie") have the return-to store options for bottles and cans (other than beer).

However, now all liquor bottles can be returned to the beer store. Anyone interested in a collection for Band-aid (or another anti-BSL org. of your choice?) Sorry for the slight :offtopic: thread-jack mahealani but you got me thinkin' !

TeriM
February 11th, 2007, 03:04 AM
Great idea Mahealani :thumbs up .

Mum*3 does that mean that Ontario no longer charges a deposit? or that you have to take all the cans/bottles to the recycle depot>

mummummum
February 12th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Many moons ago there was a deposit / return system for pop bottles and recycling depots to return cans for $ (you've been gone allllooooong time woman!) . That's long gone. Up until now there has never been a system for booze bottles ~ as far as I can recall ( beer bottles ~ always, but not hooch). So now, we pay a 10 cent (?) deposit on booze bottles which is refundable upon return to the beer stores. Strangely enough :rolleyes: I just can't see the Forest Hill, Rosedale and Post Road types slogging their cases of empty Pim's, Remy and Pouilly bottles up to the beer store. :rolleyes:

rainbow
February 12th, 2007, 06:28 PM
:sorry: :offtopic: Our local bottle depot takes all pop, beer and hard liquor containers for refund.

Now back to Mahealani's wonderful idea.... :D

Prin
February 12th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Yeah, in Quebec, you just have to bring it back to where you bought it and you get money back.:shrug:

Mahealani770
February 23rd, 2007, 02:55 PM
Thanks for all the wonderful and cute suggestions everyone! The recycling bin has been up for a few weeks now and things are going well. I've only had to send out 2 email reminders to everyone in the office and only had to pull 2pieces of non-aluminum trash out of the recycle bin :frustrated: lol

I made up a sign for the Children's hospital in which we pull our soda can tabs and put them in the little Ronald McDonald house that I've shown below. Someone from the hospital comes and retrieves them from time to time. Anyway, I had to attach it to the wall because people had no idea it was even there when it used to sit on top of the microwave clear across the room. So, here is the sign and the little house below...

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l118/mahealani404/Tots.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l118/mahealani404/RMHouse.jpg

And here is the slogan that I decided to go with, but let me say, you have no idea what a pain in the a$$ it was to place each and every one of these friggin paw prints :frustrated: lol And yes, that is Nicky and Minnie on the sign too..lol Congratulations Stacer!!!

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l118/mahealani404/CatsCanines.jpg

I know it's hard to see, but at the bottom it says, "All Proceeds Donated to the Humane Society". :cloud9:

chico2
February 23rd, 2007, 03:02 PM
Good stuff Mahealani:thumbs up Every little bit helps:dog: :cat:

Stacer
February 23rd, 2007, 04:31 PM
Woo hoo, nice work Mahealani. And woo hoo for me, I'm famous all over Atlanta now! Or at least at Mahealani's job.