Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

We're Back

krdahmer
February 9th, 2007, 03:05 PM
I have been gone a loooooong time. And it's a loooong story so I'll start with the happy endings. My husband and I rescued 3 more cats ourselves that we kept. And I was busy working with a great organization Animal Assistance, that helped me find good homes for 4 other kitties I took in and fostered.
My poor little baby Fagan has had a rough year (just like his mommy, I got diagnosed with diabetes and high cholesteral, had a gall bladder attack and a miscarriage- so this year has to be better...:shrug: ). Fagan began biting his hind legs leaving sores and no fur last May, the vet gave him the usual cortisone shot, which I was unaware weakens the joints and he jumped down from the table injuring his leg. I rushed him to the vet (the quickest I think I have moved in all my life) thinking that he had broken it. It took the vet a long time to figure it all out... it wasn't broken but could have been a miriad of other things. It took a good 6 months before the leg healed completely and he has not had any trouble since:fingerscr , it had been luxated cruciate ligament (paetella) so every time he landed the wrong way or I picked him up at a bad angle his knee would slip out of place for the 6 months. All this time he was still biting.
Then he had 2 really good months in the fall with no biting/licking and no knee trouble, until we moved to a house in Nov. And the biting began again, this time we didn't fool around and had a skin biopsy right away. This showed that he was allergic to fleas. But I never have fleas I said...pshaw...then I combed 2-3 out of Palomine...althought i thouroughly cleaned before we moved in I must have missed some.
So, now he is off the amitryptiline, (was on that for stress) and is taking an allergy pill and some holistic remedies, Comples SK for the skin and Hypericum for the nerves and itch. He seems to be slowly improving and it is a lot better than making him wear the c-collar all the time (he had to wear it almost a month after the biopsy).
Anyhow just wanted to say hi to everyone and I hope all your furbabies are doing well... I sure did miss this place.:grouphug: :D

chico2
February 9th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Dahmer WELCOME BACK,I often wondered what happened to you,in your other post,I was asking how you ended up with six cats and I guess I know now:D
I am sorry you've had such a difficult year,2007 will be much better:fingerscr
Since you are now in a house,I guess six cats are not a problem,you will of course have to post pics of all of them.
You are one of the first people I"spoke"to here and I am really happy to see you back!!!
Some of the oldies,like Lucky Rescue and Luba are no longer here:sad: but there are many other great people!

krdahmer
February 9th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Oh please ask me for pictures....:laughing: :cloud9:
Here is Windy(F), Smoke(F)...the two you remember.

krdahmer
February 9th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Here is Buddy and Palomine, both strays from the ghetto I moved away from.

krdahmer
February 9th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Wow these pics are big... sry. And here is Asker she is actually Fagan little sister born 3 litters after to stray momma and poppa(who has a nice new home).

chico2
February 9th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Oh yes,I remember beautiful Windy and Smoke hope they have adjusted to the multi-cat family:D
Great pics,but a couple are missing:)
A friend of mine has a cat named Asker,I always wondered about that name:confused:

krdahmer
February 9th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Nice to see you're still kickin around Chico! And how are the boys doing anyhow? I'm off for the day...gotta go grab hubby from his new job in Etttibacokie....lol. Have a great day!:cat: :goodvibes:

meb999
February 9th, 2007, 04:28 PM
WELCOME BACK!!! :cat:

Prin
February 9th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Welcome back! What cuties you have.:) I'm so sorry for all your health troubles and miscarriage. I hope this year goes much, much better for you. :grouphug:

rainbow
February 9th, 2007, 11:27 PM
I joined after you left but just wanted to say what great photos of your kitties. :lovestruck: Sorry for all your's and Fagan's health problems :sad: :grouphug: and welcome back. :highfive:

krdahmer
February 10th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Aw Thanks all... me and Fagan had a big talk this new years and made our resolution just to do better than last year....lol so far so good!:goodvibes:

sarenab
February 11th, 2007, 05:45 AM
What beautiful kitties! Sounds like you have had some real challenges....hope you and yours have an excellent year.