Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Eye goobers

soccerchika
February 9th, 2007, 01:38 PM
During one of my orange tabby's vaccination sessions I asked the vet about his eye goobers that he gets all the time. I am talking ALL THE TIME!! Nose goobers too... both thick and black. She said it was nothing to worry about and gave me this med stuff for his eyes and said that it would help.. but i think that was to make me feel better.

One other thing that he has is a constant low grade respiratory infection from when he was a kitten (before i had him). The vet said that he probably was very ill and then recovered on his own from it, which left scaring in his lungs. The vet says that he is fine now, but is more susceptible to them, so i should keep an eye on him. But she did say that these were normal.

Does anyone else have this problem?

krdahmer
February 9th, 2007, 02:08 PM
I took in my cat Buddy as a stray and at the time he was both very ill with a respiratory infection and had terrible eye 'boogers'. I can't say what exactly is wrong in your situation, but here is what mine played out like. Buddy got over the resp infection after an emerg vet visit and some shots and antibiotics, and now he is very prone to them, so he is now an indoor cat, as all mine are. I try to limit his travels to vet visits and keep him warm when we do have to venture out. As for the eye thing, my previous vet told me it was just a chronic weeping and that it would probably always be like that. Then I took him in a couple weeks back to my new vet and they did an eye stain (test involving a small amount of dye inserted into the eye, they watch to see if the coloured tears come out the nose), on Buddy they did not come out the nose which indicated to the vet that he may have a blockage in the drainage duct of the eye. The test was pretty inexpensive ($15) and it's good to know. I am planning to have him put under to have his teeth looked at later this year and the vet said they could do both the teeth and have a good look at the duct and possibly clear the blockage all at the same time. Anyhow I hope some of that was helpful. And as always not all vets are trained equal... so don't be afraid to seek second opinions if you're not satisfied.