Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog food Question

matangers
February 8th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Can you tell me what is Gravy Train, Lifelong, and Good Recipe? I saw it at Walmart and Target. Nova's on puppy perdigree and Malibu is on Science Diet. But I didn't know much about dog food until later. So, I plan to buy new dog food when the current dog foods are running out so I can put half and half into the full new one.

Nova's 5 months old Beagle mix.

Malibu is around 18 months old Boxer. She lost few lbs and she looked more like Boxer instead of mixed with Mastiff. :shrug:

We have Petco and Petsmart here. I noticed that both of dogs are shedding but I think maybe it's natural or that way the C**P dog food are???

Help?

Thanks!
Angy

rainbow
February 8th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Those are all really crappy foods. You need to buy a premium quality dog food from a pet store. Some of the better ones are Canidae, Innova, Natural Balance, Timberwolf Organics, Go Natural.

erykah1310
February 8th, 2007, 04:31 PM
I'd recommend Canidae all life stages for your situation.

matangers
February 8th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Does Petsmart and Petco has Canidae?

I feed both of dogs twice a day a mixture of wet dog food can and dry dog food.

:sorry: I'm all :confused:

barkley21
February 8th, 2007, 05:55 PM
I wouldn't buy any type of pet food from WalMart...They don't say "watch out for falling prices" for nothing :D The good stuff is only found at pet food stores.

matangers
February 8th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Petsmart has:
Nutro
Natural Choice
BLUE
AvoDerm
By Nature

Petco has:
Natural Choice
Nutro
BLUE
AvoDerm
By Nature
Eagle Pack
Natural Balance
Castor & Pollux

rainbow
February 8th, 2007, 06:01 PM
As far as I know they do not sell Canidae. Petco sells Natural Balance and Solid Gold which is another option. Do you not have a locally owned pet/feed store in your area?

matangers
February 8th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Yes we have locally owned pet stores, but all of them are extremely small and not much food options. So, Petco has Solid Gold.

rainbow
February 8th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Usually an independent pet store may not have a lot of options but the ones they do carry are the better ones. It may pay to have a look around. :o

mafiaprincess
February 8th, 2007, 06:39 PM
I would go look around. Not every standard petstore carries the same options. You may find petco carries xyz online.. and only find brand y when you go there.

Smaller feed stores are where the majority of us shop.

rainbow
February 8th, 2007, 06:46 PM
That's why I like the independent pet stores. They have their steady customers and always have your food in stock because they know what and when to order.

coppperbelle
February 8th, 2007, 06:56 PM
My local Petco doesn't have Eagle Pack or Solid Gold unless you order it online. They say they are too small and don't carry everything some of the larger stores have.

billyp
February 8th, 2007, 06:56 PM
how about taking a look at the store locator on the canidae website :)

rainbow
February 8th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Excellent suggestion, Billyp...why didn't I think of that? :o

Canidae is available at quite a few locations in Las Vegas. :highfive:

http://www.canidae.com/company/storelocator.html

matangers
February 8th, 2007, 07:29 PM
THANKS!!!!!
Will hit the stores nearby my place.
:thumbs up :thumbs up :thumbs up to all of you who responded and helped! :goodvibes: :highfive:

billyp
February 8th, 2007, 07:56 PM
make sure you find 2 good quality kibble so you can rotate every bag or 2. That way you make sure your dog will not always get their protein from the same source and therefore wont develop any allergies. for example...I use canidae lamb 50% mixed with innova evo RM 50% and when my two bags are empty I switch to Innova Evo and Barking at the moon.
I find it is very important to rotate food and people dont seem to care much about it.

matangers
February 9th, 2007, 03:00 AM
Hmmm... how about rotate a bag after the bag of food empty? I know it's important for the diet. But it would be a little be hard since I have a puppy and a dog. But it would be much easier to have 2 different bags when Nova's adult then I can do 50% of this and 50% of that. Know what I mean? :shrug:

gypsy_girl
February 9th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Many of these dog food mentioned are "all life stage", so you can use one food for both dogs. Canidae for sure, and GO Natural too! Just check the bag to see if it says "for all life stages" or ask the store