Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Do Pets Go to Heaven?

Shamrock
February 8th, 2007, 02:59 AM
A recent ABC New Poll asked this question of pet owners.
47% yes, 35% said no. ( the rest undecided).

As not everyone believes in the concept of Heaven, I hope this isnt too sensitive an issue to cover.

For those who "do" believe in Heaven,.the concept of being reunited with our departed loved ones is a wonderful one that can bring great comfort, hope and peace of mind to the heart and soul.

But does this include our cherished pets?

There are of course many different ways to look at this, it's all a matter of individual belief.

Without getting too deeply into all the religious ramifications, I would be interested to know how many of you truly believe you will one day see the precious animals that shared their love and their lives with you here on earth.

(I'll attach a confidential poll)

TeriM
February 8th, 2007, 03:07 AM
Absolutely! A pet soul is so kind and pure that they must be first in line at the pearly gates :) .

Dogastrophe
February 8th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Yep, in heaven there will be trillions of animals, and only a handful of people.

brandynva
February 8th, 2007, 08:21 AM
I like to believe that all animals will be in heaven. I hope that insects and snakes won't be though... ;)

~michelle~
February 8th, 2007, 09:51 AM
mmm im undecided about heaven, but if there is one dogs should go and i wanna go there to (speaking of which the movie all dogs go to heaven is one of my childhood favs.)
maybe reincarnation?
im not sure of my after life beliefs yet

cpietra16
February 8th, 2007, 10:28 AM
I believe it that all souls go somewhere. I know all furbaby souls go to heaven. I wasn't sure until my babysitter told me a story that just solidified my thoughts about puppy souls. :cloud9: :angel:

breeze
February 8th, 2007, 10:40 AM
I believe that when we are gone and go to heaven we will see all our pets, they will run to us with opened paws, because they new how much we loved them, and how much we missed them.

Purpledomino
February 8th, 2007, 01:34 PM
If there are no dogs in heaven, then I want to go where they go. :angel:

breeze
February 8th, 2007, 01:37 PM
they do go to heaven, have you not heard of the kids movie "all dogs go to heaven" I have a copy of it here in the house ;)

Purpledomino
February 8th, 2007, 01:55 PM
they do go to heaven, have you not heard of the kids movie "all dogs go to heaven" I have a copy of it here in the house ;)

Well there you go then. Now all I have to do is work on getting there! :pray:

breeze
February 8th, 2007, 01:58 PM
you can't be going yet :eek: there are more puppies, dogs,cats, and people we have to help !!!! :)

Byrd
February 8th, 2007, 06:48 PM
I don't believe in heaven or hell, so really my answer is not there.

They get reincarnated like the rest of us.

Prin
February 8th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Wherever we go, they go too, wherever that may be.

Mocha's mum
February 8th, 2007, 08:43 PM
I believe that when we are gone and go to heaven we will see all our pets, they will run to us with opened paws

I'm going to have a lot of pets up there.....:D

OntarioGreys
February 8th, 2007, 09:09 PM
I had gotten to a point where I stopped beliving in an afterlife.

2 weeks after Callie passed away from cancer, she paid me a little visitI was wide awake at the time and had a strange strong sense something was behind me, I turned around and there was Callie healthy happy and stand on all four legs wagging her tail and grinning at me, a couple seconds later the air infront became wavy like you might see over hot pavement and she faded away, between that and the way Maya came into my life(which I believe strngly was Callie doing) I have no doubt now there is an afterlife and we will be once again reunited with our pets

t.pettet
February 8th, 2007, 10:52 PM
I had to pts my 13 yr. old dog (best dog in my life) and still mourn the loss but believing and hoping that we will be re-united in heaven or somewhere great makes losing him bearable.

Catzig
February 8th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Well, I have chosen to believe there is a Rainbow Bridge ... I just know my little buddy is waiting for me there! So should there be a category for Rainbow Bridge?

we3beagles
February 9th, 2007, 01:37 AM
My dad used to tell me that dogs don't go to heaven because they do not have a spirit like humans do. Obviously this is a man who has never seen a puppys' soul while looking into their eyes. When Capone died and Callie came she used to play with thin air (bum in the air and spinning). I think she was playing with Capone. I firmly believe dogs are waiting at the bridge for their people so they can cross into heaven. I hope my place in heaven strongly resembles a dog house with resiliant flooring and a huge bed that all my dogs can sleep in. There are going to be a lot of dogs in that house.

jiorji
February 9th, 2007, 01:40 AM
well i don't know about every one else's pets but mine sure do go there;)

angeldogs
February 9th, 2007, 05:50 AM
yes i believe they go to heaven.they are part of our family.and they will be there waiting for us just like the rest of them.

Shamrock
February 9th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Thanks for your input on this.
I was quite suprised at the results of the ABC poll, the results here with an large majority believing in pets in Heaven are more of what I had imagined.

There are of course many counter-questions to this concept, none of which are "really" answerable.
What is the selection process for animals? All animals or domestic pets? What about all the unloved and abandoned pets - the ferals who die, the many cats and dog sadly euthanized. Do they go to the Bridge? And if so... who are they waiting for?:sad:

However, for many things in life, we simply must rely on our own faith and belief, our own perception of how things may be. This offers hope and comfort to many, and at that.. can only be a good thing.:angel:

OntarioGreys
February 13th, 2007, 03:24 PM
There are of course many counter-questions to this concept, none of which are "really" answerable.
What is the selection process for animals? All animals or domestic pets? What about all the unloved and abandoned pets - the ferals who die, the many cats and dog sadly euthanized. Do they go to the Bridge? And if so... who are they waiting for?

However, for many things in life, we simply must rely on our own faith and belief, our own perception of how things may be. This offers hope and comfort to many, and at that.. can only be a good thing.

No need for a selection process for animals they don't have the reason capabilities humans have so they remain innocents

x.l.r.8
February 13th, 2007, 06:01 PM
A man and his dog were walking along a road. The man was enjoying the scenery, when it suddenly occurred to him that he was dead.
He remembered dying, and that the dog walking beside him had been dead for years. He wondered where the road was leading them.
After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall along one side of the road. It looked like fine marble. At the top of a long hill, it was broken by a tall arch that glowed in the sunlight.
When he was standing before it he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like mother-of-pearl, and the street that led to the gate looked like pure gold. He and the dog walked toward the gate, and as he got closer, he saw a man at a desk to one side.
When he was close enough, he called out, "Excuse me, where are we?"
"This is Heaven, sir," the man answered.
"Wow! Would you happen to have some water?" the man asked.
"Of course sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up."
The man gestured, and the gate began to open.
"Can my friend," gesturing toward his dog, "come in, too?" the traveler asked.
"I'm sorry, sir, but we don't accept pets."
The man thought a moment and then turned back toward the road and continued the way he had been going with his dog.

After another long walk, and at the top of another long hill, he
came to a dirt road leading through a farm gate that looked as if it had
never been closed. There was no fence.
As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside, leaning against a tree and reading a book.
"Excuse me!" he called to the man. "Do you have any water?"
"Yeah, sure, there's a pump over there, come on in."
"How about my friend here?" the traveler gestured to the dog.
"There should be a bowl by the pump."
They went through the gate, and sure enough, there was an old-fashioned hand pump with a bowl beside it.
The traveler filled the water bowl and took a long drink himself, then he gave some to the dog.
When they were full, he and the dog walked back toward the man who was standing by the tree.
"What do you call this place?" the traveler asked.
"This is Heaven," he answered
"Well, that's confusing," the traveler said. "The man down the road said that was Heaven, too."
"Oh, you mean the place with the gold street and pearly gates? Nope, that's hell."
"Doesn't it make you mad for them to use your name like that?"
"No, we're just happy that they screen out the folks who would leave their best friends behind."

Sorry this thread reminded me of this :cloud9:

Frenchy
February 13th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Well, I have chosen to believe there is a Rainbow Bridge ...
Me too ! I don't believe in heaven but I do believe there is a Rainbow bridge because animals are so much better than us. And I sure hope the good pet owners get too join them at the bridge.

Quins-mum
February 13th, 2007, 09:59 PM
The day i had to put my Rotti (Cassie) to sleep at home was the day I realised that dogs have souls.
She was put to sleep (Cancer) and taken away by the vet to be cremated. I went to my mum and dads to cry (the house was too empty).
I came home about 2 hours later, unlocked the back door and as I entered there was a solitary bark from the hallway (where Cassie passed away).
I firmly believe that was her telling me that she was fine, and not in any more pain, and I guess thanking me for finally giving her freedom from any pain.

She also saved my puppy. I had checked on him asleep in his basket, and went to do some work. I caught a glimps of a black shadow (dog shaped) walking passed my office... I thought that the puppy had wakened up and wanted out, so I went to the back door, but the puppy wasn't there. I went to check on him, he was under my bed playing with a glass ornament!

So yes, I firmly believe that animals go to heaven and look over us.

I believe it is man's ignorance and vanity that makes him think that he is the only entity that goes to Heaven.

matangers
February 17th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Hmm.. It's hard for a precious loss. I never had experience with a pet loss before until our beloved Chevy passed away a day before Thanksgiving. We cried all day and night. So,... I swore not to get another dog until we're ready. But I realized that the house is not same without 4 legs because I've been with dogs for 8 years (from my parents' house to guardian to Chevy). So, I told my boyfriend, Matt, that I wanted to get another dog. He agreed. We got Nova a few weeks later and it's lot of work to have a puppy! Matt's co-worker found Chevy on the street and asked him to take him in so he did. We post for a lost dog in newspaper and petfinder. No calls so we kept him. He was only a couple of years old, very well trained. So,... During these months we have Nova, we feel that Chevy's still around because Nova barked at the closet where we keep his cremated box. We should spread the ashes away in Red Rock Canyon but we keep delay because we wanted the day to be so special with our friends (Stella's godmother and her husband). So, we got Malibu last month and she didn't notice anything. But Nova still barks at the closet once a week. So, I told her to come and she stopped. So, I believe in spirits and I feel there is something else than Heaven, maybe a special place that you think it's very important. I don't really know. The reason why we wanted to spread Chevy's ashes at Red Rock Canyon.. is because that's where Matt's dad's ashes are. So, we want to give his dad a company- our beloved Chevy. I know Chevy could be in a better hand of Matt's dad.

I believe that pets have a special place where their owners had big heart for them and wanted to reunited with them.

CyberKitten
February 17th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Of course pets go to heaven!! With such unconditional love, how can they not NOT be there!!! :) (whatever one conceives "heaven" to be)

tully
February 18th, 2007, 10:40 AM
:angel: Gosh, is there really any question? Totally, absolutely, unequivocally :dog: :cat: 's and all the others go to Heaven. Can you imagine Heaven without them! When my pup Beau died, he came back to visit me on more than one occassion. I know he is in Heaven and will be there to greet me when I come. He may reincarnate to me again before that but maybe not. My first dog, Patches, is also waiting for me by the stream. I have seen her before in my dreams and know that God sent her to us as children as our guardian angel. You never know how an :angel: is going to show up:cloud9::pawprint:

Stacer
February 18th, 2007, 10:59 AM
whatever's out there, our pets/animals deserve to be the first to get in.