Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Food/Water Timing/Holding Bladder

Libby
February 7th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Hello,

I had adopted a female mix dog from my local SPCA 2 months back. She's about 5 years old and was just spayded two weeks ago.

The Im having right now is i dont know how long i should leave her food & water out during the day. She's fine during the night because she sleeps in my bedroom and doesnt bother with the food and water but during the day while Im at work.. i leave the food and water out ALL the time and usually take it away around 8pm so that she doesnt need to go at night. My dog weighs about 60lbs if that helps... should i take her food and water away while im gone?..... how long should a 5 year old female be able to hold it in?......

Thanks in advance for your responses!
Marvin

Prin
February 7th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Umm, IMO, a dog should have access to water all the time.

Has she been checked for a UTI? Is she house trained at all?

Libby
February 7th, 2007, 08:50 PM
She seemed to be house trained at the beginning when i got her she was doing fine.. it seems more frequent i guess after the operation..she currently does have water all the time, just during the night she chooses to stay in my room...im just worried because right now shes only alone for 4 hours at a time because i come home for lunch and i let her out but il be moving soon and i wont be able to come home on my lunch every day.....so she'll be home alone twice as long and shes having a hard time holding it in now for 4 hours...

Prin
February 7th, 2007, 08:52 PM
She might need a follow up with the vet about the peeing or you'd have to hire a dog walker, or train her to pee on pee pads if she still can't hold it long enough.

Libby
February 7th, 2007, 08:55 PM
It's not just the peeing tho....

could her pooping possibly have anything to do with the operation? i didnt think so..

Prin
February 7th, 2007, 08:57 PM
She just might not have been housetrained at all then. If there isn't anything medically wrong, you're just going to have to start as though she's a puppy. Setting meal times instead of free feeding can help you because she'll become more predictable (have to go at the same time every day if she is fed at the same time every day). Good food also limits the amount of stool too, so she'd go less often.

Libby
February 7th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Any suggestions on how long i should leave food on the floor for her? and how often should i do it.

Prin
February 7th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Does she have a big appetite? Usually they say 15 minutes or so, twice a day, but if she isn't eating enough, that could be a problem.

Libby
February 7th, 2007, 09:09 PM
I just switched her food from alpo to kibbles and bits because she wasnt eating much but she seems to eat the billes and bits alot more...maybe 2 cups..but she usually doesnt eat all at once...2 cups over the whole day but i suppose if i start taking it away from her she'd get used to eating it all at once right?

Prin
February 7th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Food you buy at walmart or in the grocery store isn't great. Check out the food forum here for suggestions.:o

She might be just a picker, no matter how you try to feed her. Some dogs are just better free fed. But you still have to reteach her how to be housetrained. :)

Remember, with rescue doggies, it's best to praise a ton when they do go where they are supposed to. Don't yell at your dog for accidents if you don't catch her in the act, and if you do catch her, say "no" and bring her outside right away. In the beginning it would probably be best to walk her as often as possible too, to minimize the number of accidents in the house.:)