Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

help! what do I feed my dog?

monkeymonkey
February 7th, 2007, 04:19 PM
My vet is insisting on feeding my dog Iams, but doesn't Iams just contain a bunch of corn and fillers?
I have a 7 month old pitbull/beagle who has had 2 urinary tract infections and vaginitis once.
We have been feeding her eaglepack hollistics until the vet changed us to royal canin s/o, which is all just corn meal and chicken byproduct crap.

The vet said we can't feed her eagle pack anymore because dogs who are fed that food are prone to urinary tract infections. But the vet insists Iams is better,

Is Iams really better? Is there an alternative that wont cause UTIs and will still be healthier?

gypsy_girl
February 7th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Your vet has chosen that food because he knows that the urine PH produced makes it difficult for crystals and (therefore infections) to grow. Infections can be caused from a myriad of things,but based on your vet choosing S/O he is looking for an acidic urine. However I WOULD not say that any Iams dog food has the same benefit (producing an acidic urine). You can certainly call Iams and ask them what PH the urine is producing. There are many other great foods that produce correct acidity, you only need to ask the manufacturer. Most of the foods that are recommended here are great. I DO NOT believe that Eagle pack creates issues, as the urine produced is acidic, and to say that a food causes an issue like that is very general.That aside, your vet wants you to go with what he know ie Iams.
Here is a great article

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?articleid=400

monkeymonkey
February 7th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Yes, the UTI is gone now, so we are no longer using the S/O as she is a puppy and needs puppy food. We wound up getting Innova for puppies. It doesn't have the corn and useless fillers like Iams does..

technodoll
February 7th, 2007, 08:35 PM
if you want a food that produces the correct uninary acidity and everything else a healthy dog should have, feed him a raw diet :shrug: no fuss, no muss, no more illnesses and booboos and meds and... yeah. quite a few members here switched their dogs to raw because of such recurring problems such as UTIs and guess what? no more. and you KNOW what you are feeding your dogs and it's not fillers, byproducts and grains. :dog:

Prin
February 7th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Yes, the UTI is gone now, so we are no longer using the S/O as she is a puppy and needs puppy food. We wound up getting Innova for puppies. It doesn't have the corn and useless fillers like Iams does..Yeah, that's a good one.

angeldogs
February 8th, 2007, 03:54 AM
my brother is feeding his puupy the innova large breed.and he was under weight when he got him and is doing awsome on it.

vfrohloff
February 8th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Just wondering, does your vet happen to sell Iams at their office? Vets are much more likely to recommend a product if there's some benefit in it for them.

rainbow
February 8th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Just wondering, does your vet happen to sell Iams at their office? Vets are much more likely to recommend a product if there's some benefit in it for them.

I agree 100%

I also feed my dogs Innova and no complaints here.....it's great. :thumbs up