Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Another Housetraining Question

crazyforcats
February 7th, 2007, 12:56 PM
I think Roxy is starting to get it! Yah! We haven't had an accident for over a week now. I wasn't expecting any results for a few more weeks, but she'll stand at the door and stare at me until I let her out. Last night she added a whine a couple times. Which brings me to our newest issue... she's asking to go out every 10 minutes! During the day she's crated down the hall from where I'm busy working with children, and will go 3-4 hours without going outside (I still keep a close eye on her, and can watch for signs that she wants outside). At night she's good for 7 hours. During the evening she's getting more and more supervised free run time, but like I mentioned, she's asking to go out very frequently. She'll go out, pee and poo, and 10 minutes later she's wanting out again. I don't want to ignore her "asking", but it does get a little crazy when I'm trying to make dinner, get kids ready for bed, do laundry, etc. There have been a couple times that she has peed again 15 minutes after a pee, but she does not pee every time she goes out - about half the time she just wants to watch cars, people, other dogs or whatever going by. She'll do this for a few minutes and then sit at the door to come back in. I tried leaving her out a little longer after she was wanting in, but I can't leave her out too long due to the cold weather. I don't want to discourage her from "asking" even when I know she's empty, but I'm not a revolving door! Or am I??

jessi76
February 7th, 2007, 01:35 PM
this is a tough one, for sure. the same thing happens to me. my dog will ask to go out - come in - back out - come in.... I always tell my fiance, never ignore the dog - what IF he needs to go? he did the right thing by telling us. I swear, most of it is just attention. If I know my dog just wants to go in-out-in-out ... I'll start playing w/ him inside. it gets his mind off going in and out every 2 min. if he persists, he usually really does have to go potty. so my best advice, is if you can, give some attention. kick a ball while you cook dinner - throw a toy while changing loads of laundry - run through a few training drills for 10 minutes, or set her up w/ a toy that dispenses a few treats. if she persists, let her out to do her business.

crazyforcats
February 7th, 2007, 01:49 PM
so my best advice, is if you can, give some attention. kick a ball while you cook dinner - throw a toy while changing loads of laundry - run through a few training drills for 10 minutes, or set her up w/ a toy that dispenses a few treats. if she persists, let her out to do her business.
Thank you jessi76! I'll try this. Last evening I did squirt some of the puppy paste into her puppy kong, and that did the trick for a while. It can be hard taking care of the kids, the house, while housetraining a puppy when you're a "hockey widow"... hubby is either playing hockey or watching the Flames get their butts kicked again.... :rolleyes:

TeriM
February 7th, 2007, 02:41 PM
I agree it is a bit of a pain when they do this :frustrated: . Watch her activity level and if there has been lots of running around then give her the benefit of the doubt. Most puppies are very active around dinner time and that can cause them to go several times in a few hours.