Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Have you heard of "Snow Nose"?

Corrie
February 7th, 2007, 12:48 PM
I have a little West Highland Terrier, Charlotte, who's nose has been getting lighter and lighter as the winter months have gone on. I googled about it yesterday and read about something called "Snow Nose"!
It said it was very common in dogs with white fur and happens in the winter months (even in climates that stay warm) and that her little black nose will return in the spring and summer...
Have you ever heard of "Snow Nose" and does anyone have a dog who's nose also changes colour in the winter and then retruns to black in the spring/summer?

SnowDancer
February 7th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Most definitely. Elmo the American Eskimo - in summer his nose is black and in winter he has "snow nose". He also loves to eat snow and bury his nose in the snow so I find the condition appropriately named. Some people suggest using stainless steel bowls to help with the conditon - Elmo does use such bowls, but I haven't found that it has made much difference.

shannon1233A
February 7th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Yep, I have an Alaskan Malamute who also gets Snow Nose. It does not affect their health, is not considered a fault in the show ring, and is nothing to worry about. It's pretty common, and the real reason, althought there's many theories is not really known. Don't worry about it :)

OntarioGreys
February 7th, 2007, 01:43 PM
If any sores, cracking, blistering develop though it could be a sign of a auto immune disease which requires medical treatment as long as the tissue remains healthy not a problem ;)

Prin
February 7th, 2007, 05:52 PM
If it's not snow nose, it could be from plastic bowls. As SnowDancer suggested, stainless steel bowls help if it is because of the plastic.

erykah1310
February 7th, 2007, 10:42 PM
My Bailey has "snow nose" its adorable actually... his nose changes for the seasons :D It was darker when i got him, but now is quite pink (healthy pink) im curious to see if it returns to black or what this spring:shrug:

mafiaprincess
February 8th, 2007, 11:12 AM
I used to think last winter Cider had snow nose, as it had been black, but she'd used plastic dishes. Been a year she has metal dishes and no improvement. In her case it's genetically poor pigment.

jessi76
February 8th, 2007, 11:55 AM
If any sores, cracking, blistering develop though it could be a sign of a auto immune disease which requires medical treatment as long as the tissue remains healthy not a problem ;)

OG, what autoimmune disease would that signal? (I'm really just curious)

Corrie
February 8th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Charlotte's nose is perfect..except for the change in colour...we use glass bowls for her, so no plastic bowl problems here.

It will be interesting to see if her nose goes back to it's "black button" look in the spring/summer. No matter if it does change back or not..she is still the cutest little Westie ever...:lovestruck:

OntarioGreys
February 8th, 2007, 08:48 PM
OG, what autoimmune disease would that signal? (I'm really just curious)
any of these are a possibility
SYSTEMIC LUPUS ERYTHEMATOSUS
DISCOID LUPUS ERYTHEMATOSUS
PEMPHIGUS ERYTHEMATOSUS
PEMPHIGUS FOLIACEUS
PEMPHIGUS VULGARIS

Mayas nose started off just going pink the first winter I had her, the second winter it occured again but with nasal swelling and sores developing and I knew something was not right , she also had sores on her vulva which I noted because or increase licking so took her to the vet, vet also noted her sides were looking moth eatened and I learned than it was all related

jessi76
February 9th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the info OG!