Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Enough is Enough

Golden Girls
February 7th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Last week I noticed a young male Huskey tied literally with a lock and chain in the back of a duplex along the traintracks. Unfortunately it's a 30 min walk from my house so I haven't been able to take pictures daily and with the cold it's been hard even getting there.

So this morning I left really early and went knocking on neighbors doors asking about this Husky. No one wants to get involved. Finally I got one person to give me this guy's name and I called Animal Control on him. It appears they've already given this guy a warning but said there's not much he can do because there's a dog house. I took a picture of this dog house and there's no entrance at all to get it, it's all blocked-up. I'll probably be in trouble for going on private property and even knelt down and extended my hand and he's just the cutest thing, really young maybe 2. I gave him some cookies and he acted starved. There is no food or water. I plan to go back soon and will bring some food.

Here in LaSalle they have their own Animal Control run by the city. The guy seemed really nice and I explained I just moved from Sud Ouest where I could never get SPCA (pound for that area) to investigate abuse. I went on and on about the latest cruelty in the news and that I demand action. He confirmed he will be going today again. Let's hope something will get done here before we have a dead frozen husky :frustrated:

Just to make sure I'm sending the complaint by e-mail as well. Enough is enough - there's way too much animal cruelty that's been ignored!

Mahealani770
February 7th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Good luck GG!! This story makes me sick. :mad: I hope the poor thing gets rescued. Bless you for providing food and water for the poor soul :sad:
Why do people own pets if they are going to treat them this way? :yell:

Frenchy
February 7th, 2007, 12:20 PM
If only people would get more involved. Like if 20 people call with the same complaint, they woudln't have any choice but to do something. But some people prefer to just turn their heads , cowards :mad: Thanks GG, keep calling them ! :fingerscr

Winston
February 7th, 2007, 12:21 PM
GG Thats what I dont understand???? How will anyone ever change the law if they dont want to get involved??? My prayers are with this little one!!

~michelle~
February 7th, 2007, 12:23 PM
thank goodness for you GG.....i wish i could save all of the huskys and other pup in the world, :sad: who on earth would want to do this (i know theres soo much abuse and i cant wrap my head around it)

dustybird
February 7th, 2007, 03:49 PM
I am glad that you are trying to do something, don't give up, one person can make a difference. My parent's old neighbours had a young dog that they treated that way. My mom and dad would always give him cookies and love through the fence. He was always out side usually tied to the dog house with water out of reach or no shelter at times. Mom called spca and they came out several times. The last time no one was home so the guy waited on their porch for 2hrs. When they did come home he said enough was enough and he was taking the dog with him. No one else wanted to get involved either.

So don't give up, even if the reason they take the dog away is because they are tired of hearing from you, the end result is the poor dog is no longer living at such a horrible place. Obvious abuse/neglect. :fingerscr that they come out and do something. Hopefully they take the dog away and not just another useless warning. I wouldn't leave any signs that you gave food and water though as the owner may claim he's the one who put it there.

Prin
February 7th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Ok, maybe I'll get flamed for this, but I think huskies should be banned in the city or at least restricted somehow... http://foolstown.com/sm/str.gif There are soooooo many huskies around in similar situations. I tried to "borrow" one not too long ago, because it was facing a horrible life of alternating between a chain and a locked bathroom. Huskies just aren't city dogs. :o Something needs to be done for these buggers. :sad:

TeriM
February 7th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Good job GG :thumbs up . Hope you get some results.

4thedogs
February 7th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Ok, maybe I'll get flamed for this, but I think huskies should be banned in the city or at least restricted somehow... http://foolstown.com/sm/str.gif There are soooooo many huskies around in similar situations. I tried to "borrow" one not too long ago, because it was facing a horrible life of alternating between a chain and a locked bathroom. Huskies just aren't city dogs. :o Something needs to be done for these buggers. :sad:

Unfortunately that will happen with many breeds that people think can withstand the cold.

I think your comment is kind of sad since it is not the dogs fault. Husky's do just fine in the city with responsible owners.

A better option for any type of dog ban would be to licence owners. Make every owner go through training and testing. Maybe this would help to weed out those who shouldn't have dogs.

~michelle~
February 7th, 2007, 04:33 PM
placing a ban on a breed would do nothing for irresponsible owners and it would be horrible for responsible ones. my huskys are city dogs live in apartment building and are as happy as can be are well taken care of getting better trained by the day. the same could be said for many popular breeds facing such horrible fates. when there are more of a breed theres going to be more mistreated dogs of that breed. the same could be said for labs. both of these breeds are popular, cute and people think they make a great pet for whatever reason (stereotypes) but dont know the downside to these pets either. ie huskys stubborn and people think they can live outside. and with labs people dont realize the activity requirements and that they are so "hyper" and think they are going to be like a guide dog perfect and loyal.
anyweek you can go in to the pound here and you will more than likely see a husky and a lab (or crosses) either picked up for maltreatment or as strays that noone cared for anymore
also what would be the difference if this dog lived in the city or the country bad owners are everywhere, location has nothing to do with it. he would be getting the same treatment if his owner didnt live in the city and they would probably be fewer people who noticed or did anything about it.

Prin
February 7th, 2007, 04:40 PM
I think your comment is kind of sad since it is not the dogs fault. Husky's do just fine in the city with responsible owners.It is kind of sad, but in Quebec, the husky situation just seems more sad than that. :shrug: Of course, any breed ban would suck, but the odds of Qc banning chains next to nothing. :sad:

~michelle~
February 7th, 2007, 04:46 PM
sorry prin i just dont understand how banning them in the city would help the husky situation. education is key not relocating the problem

chico2
February 7th, 2007, 04:47 PM
GG,:grouphug: to you for interferring for this poor dog!
I have a simular situation,I've kept an eye on since this summer.
In this case it's a very old Beagle,she is kept in the fenced front-yard,for everyone to see.
There is a BIG sign saying"Please do not feed the dog!"It's like inviting a poisoned hot-dog!
She is not on a chain,but her dog-house consists of a piece of board leaning against the fence.
She does not live near to me,but I pass when I walk Bailey.
Last week I went there,armed with my camera,hoping to take pics to show the HS,but a neighbor told me,the dog is kept in the garage on cold days,or she might have died:yell:
Unfortunately the owner only speaks very little English and just threw his hands in the air when I talked to him,would not listen..
People have watched that poor girl for years,she's NEVER lived in the house.When I get upset and nosy about things like this,hubby says'it's not your dog,she's ok,she knows nothing better'but I think it's a sore excuse not to try to help.

Prin
February 7th, 2007, 04:57 PM
sorry prin i just dont understand how banning them in the city would help the husky situation. education is key not relocating the problem

Yeah, you're right, but education is soooo long away.:sad:

Nevermind that I said anything.:o

Good luck with your husky endeavors, GG.:)

poodletalk
February 7th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Huskies just aren't city dogs

Prin, I have a husky and I live in the city. I know of several huskies who lives in the city and they are fine.

Huskies like any dogs adapt to their surronding, if they live in the city or in the country.

Prin, animals abuse happens to all breeds just not one specific breed.

Golden Girls
February 7th, 2007, 06:46 PM
I think that's a real problem here, no one wants to get involved or take the time it takes to make a complaint. It's really hard sometimes and time consuming and often I get pissed at myself and question why did I have to take this route that day. But at the same time I can't just walk away either. Chico I get what your saying about your hubby and I've had more fights then I want to admit in open forum because of this. Mine actually told me I will get killed one day :D

back to the Husky. I'm sooo happy to report that when I went back to feed him - he wasn't outside :thumbs up The Animal Control Officer visited the Husky like he promised and somehow contacted this guy so he went home and brought him in. This is now his second warning, next time it's a ticket. Guess I'm stuck walking on the traintracks every morning. Some of the people I spoke to this morning said he wasn't a nice guy. I'll make sure I'm armed ... literally, one golden in each hand :goodvibes:

I'm really really happy Animal Control paid him a visit on a 1st call, unusual but so grateful to know some people do do their jobs. I won't push it but he did give me his cell, actually everyone around me are really good pet owners so hopefully we won't be on 1st name basis anytime soon :fingerscr

Prin
February 7th, 2007, 06:55 PM
One day at a time. :highfive:

~michelle~
February 7th, 2007, 06:58 PM
glad to hear that GG at least something was done. although it would be nice if it were more but something was done which can be hard to have happen.
i cant believe our animal laws are the way they are.... the public really needs to start and care about this. even if someone disliked animals i dont see why they wouldnt be in favour of toughening the laws on animal cruelty, animal abusers are abusers and its not a far leap from beaten your dog to beating your kid. and it has been shown almost every serial killer had a history of animal abuse and multilation.
prin i understand your frustration about huskys, i too see soooo many in backyards with little to no human contact, or any animal contact besides the racoon that travels through. its sooo sad.
i actually talked someone out of adopting a husky when i was at the local pound looking around because they thought it would be fine as an outdoor dog. the lady who worked there was pissed at me, but seriously some shelters need to be more upfront about breed characteristics (and be properly educated about them) the couple seemed really nice but they just didnt know they thought from what they had seen that huskys can be outdoor dogs . i was happy because the husky deserves a good home, not someone who has no idea what they are getting into

Prin
February 7th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Exactly. The only reason I have Jemma is because 4 other people failed with her before me. :sad:

happycats
February 7th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Great job GG!!!:thumbs up :) It only takes one person to make a difference, and for that poor husky, you were the one! I am sure he is greatful, and happy to be warm!!!
Keep up the good work!! I wish everyone was like you.
(have you ever thought of a career for animal cruelty investigations, like animal cops?) :)

rainbow
February 7th, 2007, 07:20 PM
I agree that huskies adapt well and can live in the city as long as their owners are responsible and understand their needs.

GG, thank you so much for everything you did to help this poor dog. :angel:

susieqt
February 7th, 2007, 08:07 PM
See what can be accomplished by speaking up? If everyone did, this world would be a different place. Good news!

Frenchy
February 7th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Good job GG ! :thumbs up

chico2
February 8th, 2007, 08:31 AM
GG,good news for that poor dog,at least he's not freezing anymore,thank's to you and Animal Control.
I bet though,you'll soon see this Husky at a shelter,this owner is not going to keep him inside,maybe he'll be lucky and get a good home:fingerscr
When I see something that really bothers me,I just HAVE to do something,or every night the image of this poor animal will haunt me in my dreams.
People have to get involved,the animals cannot escape a bad situation on their own,can only suffer and freeze in silence,hoping someone will be their saviour:sad: Thank's GG:thumbs up

Golden Girls
February 9th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Well, I'm soo happy to report he's still being kept inside, o this makes me very happy.

Chico that dog that's always outside, it bothers you right, wrong is wrong no matter what our laws says. Take a picture, send an email to your Animal Control and reverse it ... tell them you feel victimized because your city allows such cruelty to go on through horrible freazing winters and dreadful summers. Tell them you walk by this property every single day and because it's such a sad situation you go home and cry. Hey if they don't feel for animals, maybe they should take responsiblity that it's constanly ruining your day :shrug: Seriously, that's exactly what I did with this husky and it worked :)

(have you ever thought of a career for animal cruelty investigations, like animal cops?) :)thank you HC, it means alot coming from you. I have always dreamt of having a carreer when I grew up of course :) doing exactly this but reality sank in a long time ago - unfortunately I visualize bars in front of me - I'd probably kill the abusers so ;) I think people are safer me just being a pet detective pro bono :D

Golden Girls
February 9th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Just wanted to add I did however ask Barnoti for a job ... a paid job. I hear the money's fantastic and their so understaffed. *fingers crossed* I have such high hopes of receiving a pawsitive reply to my application You guys will be the 1st to know if I get hired. I work nights so I'm completely free all day long :D I even wonder if the job will come with fringe benefits woo hoo

chico2
February 9th, 2007, 08:36 AM
GG,the crying is a great approach that is actually how I feel..
Yesterday she was not there again,I don't know if it is a good sign or not:sad:
She could be in the garage,she is a very old Beagle,obviously arthritic,she tries to bark,but it's more like baying, I've since learned that's what Beagles do.
At first I thought she had been de-barked.
I usually carry my little camera and I will take a pic whenever I see her again.
The big sign"Don't feed the dog"is still there.

As for Barnoti,a while back,a reporter had written an article about the MSPCA and him,the financial woes of the shelter and Barnotis personal gains.
Also regarding his record of euthanazia.
It was posted in this Forum,but a long time ago,I don't have the PC-skills to find it.
I wrote him and got a rather nasty reply,saying I don't know what I am talking about.

Golden Girls
February 9th, 2007, 09:08 AM
You can do it Chico, good luck in getting that photo. Don't by shy, explain how pathetic and old the dog, barely walk or bark and a vet visit should be required. You are a tax paying citizen and you can demand not to bear witness to this cruelty. Don't worry I doubt they will think you as selfish but ranting about an old dog many would just consider you to put an extremist. I wouldn't wait until you have a picture, you can send it after :fingerscr Even better add children walk by everyday and you hear comments from them about this poor sad dog.

chico2
February 9th, 2007, 09:53 AM
GG,don't worry,I am definetly not shy:D at my age I am waaaay past worrying about what people think.
First though,I have to find out if she is still alive:sad:
The neighbor should be able to tell...
However,as long as she has shelter,even if it is only the garage,the owner is not doing anything wrong according to HS,they don't agree,but it's the law.
As for extreemist,sure,I've been called that,an old busybody etc....;)

badger
February 9th, 2007, 10:40 AM
At the very least, cross out the word Feed in the sign, and substitute Kill.

Golden Girls
February 9th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Sorry when I said "don't b shy" < -- it's just an expression, I know your not :D Just meant go on and on :evil: Seriously, why not tell animal control your worried as you haven't seen her. So what theres shelter, we all know that means squat in this weather.

chico2
February 9th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Badger,good idea:D but it means I'd have to climb the fence:eek: ,the sign is not attached to the fence,it's in the middle of the yard.
I am going to get Bailey shortly,I was just outside with the cats,then I'll go and see..it's warmer outside,sun is shining,only -5C(still cold though,with the wind!)
I also have to get the house-number.
I bet she's outside today and I'll take a pic and show you..and HS.
I've had HS here quiet often,to pick up cats,a couple of lost dogs,a wounded pigeon and called them about budgies at my feeder,or to pick up a dead cat or raccoon on the road.
I don't want them to think I am a bothersome busy-body,I'd like to be able to show a pic of the dog.
Hopefully she's there today..

chico2
February 9th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Here is the poor old girl,there is double fencing and the sign is on the inside fence.
Today she was sitting trying to get warm in the sun,normally she comes right to the fence,today she did not move from her sitting position,which to me is alarming.
Not very good pics,I was holding on to Bailey at the same time:)
I think she is a Beagle can you tell,if I am wrong.
I called her,but she would just not stand up....

chico2
February 9th, 2007, 02:23 PM
and another...

chico2
February 9th, 2007, 02:48 PM
She is quiet chunky,her titties(lack of another word:D )are kind of hanging,makes me believe she has at one time been bred...
I sent the pics to Oakville HS,telling her story,or what I have observed.
They are usually quick to respond,I can explain better by e-mail,when I am not too excited or crying.
I gave them my phonenumber and address asking them to call for more info,I am sure they will.

Golden Girls
February 9th, 2007, 03:12 PM
o chico, she's so old :sad: thank you so much for going that extra mile :highfive: Do you think they used to breed her and now she's no longer producible? Look how sad she is, freakin people. :fingerscr for a quick reply

Another thing you can tell HS, Beagles have extra sentive skin, that's y laboratories use them more then any other breed :yell: so ya she'll even feel the cold more not to mention her age etc ...

chico2
February 9th, 2007, 03:16 PM
GG,now you got me crying....some people are just evil:sad:
The neighbor told me,his daughter offered to take her for a walk(in the summer)but the owner said she does not need a walk.
I live maybe 15 min away from this house,so I do not see all the goings on..the HS might have already been there before.
It looks like she has at one time been bred,spayed dogs don't have hanging boobies like that,right??

Golden Girls
February 9th, 2007, 03:16 PM
sooory :grouphug: I can edit?

Golden Girls
February 9th, 2007, 03:18 PM
The good thing about HS making house calls is that sometimes the people don't want the publicity and they may decide the animals not worth it. You never know, maybe she'll surrender ... to you - where you can find her a home? That's my actual plan with the husky, I'm hoping to bump into him and maybe if I get that feeling ... offer $ right?

chico2
February 9th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Oh GG,I could not take a dog:sad:I wish I could and what would her chances be of beeing adopted??
Our HS,is a great place,they do not euthanize,unless the animal is severely wounded and suffering.
I believe she would have a better life,more attention even at HS than where she is now and who knows,maybe someone would adopt her and let her live out her life in comfort.
Anything is better than where she is now.

chico2
February 9th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Oh,and good luck with the Husky,you are lucky you can take on these unloved animals yourself,I wish I could,but my cats would go ballistic as would hubby.He is in Martinique for 3 weeks visiting his sister,that's why I have time to spend at the PC.
I'll let you know as soon as I hear from HS:fingerscr

Golden Girls
February 9th, 2007, 03:43 PM
yes please let us know.

The most important thing is HS received a complaint. It might or might not prompt them to either allow her in the home for warmth or if HS gives tickets out they might not want to always have to pay. Even the HS would be better like you said rather then the life she's living. I didn't mean for you to take her in rather you may or may not know someone's who would be willing to care for her. Something like that :D

Golden Girls
February 9th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Me with a Husky :lovestruck: he'd like so take over, I'm a horrible pushover :o I'm also at my city limit but I'm sure I could find him a home, he's really sweet! :fingerscr you hear from HS soon. Poor lil Beagle :sad:

Frenchy
February 9th, 2007, 07:41 PM
:sad: just saw the pictures of the Beagle :sad: poor little thing. I hope they surrender her. :pray:

angeldogs
February 10th, 2007, 01:27 AM
i believe people who abuse they animals are cowards.and only do it because they need something to controll.thank GG and chico.and everyone else who try to help these poor animals.

CyberKitten
February 10th, 2007, 02:27 AM
Good for you GG!! I lol when I read about what your hubby said. My sister tells me one of these days "someone is going to punch you in the mouth or something for your unwanted advice about their abused pets." Of course, she does the3 same thing - she just does not notice it!!

I hope the HS can step in and do something positive!! :thumbs up

OMG Chico, as a former beagle owner , that pict had me in tears!!! How can those ppl be so cruel!! No wonder you are upset!!!

Have you heard of that group in BC (mostly women) who "steal" dogs to give them good homes? They have a link - I'll see if I can find it. Maybe someone can help you - if I lived closer, I would be there in a minute!! Next time I get to TO - but hopefully, something can be done before then! Gawd!!!

CyberKitten
February 10th, 2007, 02:33 AM
http://www.animaladvocates.com/
www.animaladvocates.com/women-who-steal-dogs.htm

chico2
February 10th, 2007, 08:10 AM
OMG,CK those stories are heartwrenching:sad:I am just not capable to read them,it's just too much sadness:sad:
I will give HS a chance,they are good people..:fingerscr
This old Beagle girl is not tied up,but that does not make her situation much better.

chico2
February 11th, 2007, 09:26 AM
I have not heard anything yet,but that is not unusual,it does not mean the HS has not checked on the Beagle,they have more important things to do than calling me.
I once called Hamilton HS about a bunny kept in deplorable condition in my sons neighbors backyard,left to die,more or less..:sad:
I called to find out what happened,but the HS would not tell me,said they could not give that info.
However,my son told me the HS were there the same day and picked up the bunny:thumbs up
I'll go and check on the Beagle-girl again tomorrow..

Golden Girls
February 11th, 2007, 09:47 AM
At the very least, cross out the word Feed in the sign, and substitute Kill.Ya really! This one's fitting :evil:

Golden Girls
February 11th, 2007, 09:52 AM
I'll go and check on the Beagle-girl again tomorrow.. :highfive: And your right I'm sure their very busy :fingerscr you'll hear something soon

Golden Girls
February 11th, 2007, 10:53 AM
There are so many "unforgotten" like Chico's lil beagle and the above husky that are left chained or live in total solitude outside living in horrible conditions. Most complaints are clear offences but the real issue is not whether the law is strong enough, but whether or not our SPCA's, HS, Animal Control or the police are committed enough to make use of it! Sadly more times then not complaints do not result in seizures of single yard dogs. If anyone feels their complaints have fallen upon deaf ears, please read this very informative site that offers alternative ways you can help.

http://www.dogsdeservebetter.com/home.html

A Poem for Animals :sad:

I wish someone would tell me what it is that I've done wrong, and why I must be chained outside and left alone so long.
They seemed so glad to have me, when I came here as a pup. There were so many things we'd do while I was growing up.
The master said he'd train me, as a companion dog and friend. The mistress said she'd never fear to be alone again.
The children said they'd feed me and brush me every day. They'd play with me and walk me if I could only stay.
But now the master hasn't time, the mistress says I shed. She won't allow me in the house, not even to be fed.
The children never walk me, they always say not now. I wish that I could please them, why won't they tell me how?
All I had to give was love, so someone please explain. Just why they said they wanted me, and then left me on a chain.
Anonymous :pawprint:

chico2
February 11th, 2007, 02:15 PM
OMG:sad: :sad: I will never understand some people,have they no heart:sad:
That poem says it all...

Golden Girls
February 11th, 2007, 04:38 PM
I was getting worried about the husky but today I found him in a neighbor's yard. The irresponsible owner went away last Wed for a hockey tournament with his 10 yr old son. I was a little worried that he may of been tied in the garage. I asked if MAX can come and play with us and after I returned him I later asked to just keep it between us ;)
OK - he's not a husky lol maybe 3/4 GSD + 1-2 Malamute or Husky :confused: a cute mutt :o He had a ball running around, so much energy. He's also thankfully neutered but sadly this freakin owner got him for his son who btw only visits every second week-end.

He looks so sad here with Misti looking in but at least he wasn't on a chain. Then WEEEEEEE freedom :love:

Golden Girls
February 11th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Here he is with his tongue out, isn't he gorgeous. Then Brandi is establilshing her ground rules :rolleyes:

Frenchy
February 11th, 2007, 04:44 PM
awww he looks so nice ! Thank you for taking him today. he probably hasn't been walked or played for a long time :sad:

Golden Girls
February 11th, 2007, 04:44 PM
:rolleyes: And then their Misti, she really doesn't appreciate being treated lilke a dog. In her defense she's truly harmless :lovestruck: Look at Max's face. I'm sure she was saying "I said that was close enough" :laughing:

I hope we get to play with him again :fingerscr

chico2
February 11th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Awww GG,he is beautiful and obviously a good dog,no aggression..if the owner gave him up,maybe he could get a good home.
But for now,if he can join you and your doggies ever now and then,I am sure his life will be soo much better:thumbs up

Frenchy
February 11th, 2007, 05:51 PM
GG, if you could "get him out" (we never know,maybe the owner could give him up) and you need any help, pm me.

rainbow
February 11th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Max looks like he had so much fun playing with Misti. :highfive: I agree with Chico....if the owner won't find him a better home maybe he'll agree to play dates with Misti. :fingerscr

Golden Girls
February 11th, 2007, 05:54 PM
GG, if you could "get him out" (we never know,maybe the owner could give him up) and you need any help, pm me.that's the plan ;) I just might call u on that one Frenchie lol

Frenchy
February 11th, 2007, 05:59 PM
that's the plan ;) I just might call u on that one Frenchie lol

:thumbs up

Golden Girls
February 11th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Rainbow. I doubt the owner would ever allow me to walk him. Today the dogsitter let me. The owner is due back right about now. I'll get more of a feeling as time goes by and watch to make sure he's not freezing outside. I do know now though he'd follow me anywhere *whistling*

Frenchy
February 11th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Well, the gate certainly doesn't look too safe, a dog could easely escape.....la lallla lla la ....

Golden Girls
February 11th, 2007, 06:33 PM
that's not his house - this is :sad: with a padlock on the chain around his neck. I gave him that ball to play with :sad:

rainbow
February 11th, 2007, 07:21 PM
:eek: A padlock on the chain around his neck....:eek: :sad: :mad:

Does Max have a fenced yard or is he chained to something?

Frenchy
February 11th, 2007, 07:52 PM
maybe it's the picture but his house looks very small :sad:

Golden Girls
February 11th, 2007, 08:18 PM
I posted earlier it was all bolted up but I was mistaken. Here's the inside's. It's a horrible thought, but he does fit. I told the Animal Control Officer I'm just not convinced when he's chained he can reach the inside of his house. I've only seen him sitting on that greentarp. You can see the chain lying there.

Frenchy
February 11th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Why even get a dog :frustrated:

Golden Girls
February 11th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Guess he feels he needs to entice his son to visit him :frustrated:

chico2
February 12th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Aww GG,that is awful poor Max...
On a side-note,yesterday on the CTV news,the THS was on and said dogs are only allowed outside for 20 min at a time in this cold,before they run the risk of frostbite to their ears,tail and paws.
They were actually driving around checking backyards for dogs,I don't know if it was just a PR stunt for the TV,but if they saw a dog outside they would tell the owner to bring him inside.
Even if it was too good to be true,maybe it got some owners thinking:thumbs up

Golden Girls
February 12th, 2007, 10:25 AM
That is so wonderful, imagine driving around looking out for cold animals, g- whiz I'm moving to Oakville :D

It's pretty cold out there and poor Max is chained. Freag

Golden Girls
February 12th, 2007, 10:45 AM
We need your guys here ... this guy obviously didn't learn anything with those warnings. I was there for over an hour and he's left for work. Here I thought maybe he was being kept inside but obviously I didn't see Max because he this guy went away. Now he's back and the dog left outside. Now what. I don't think I'm wrong, that chain doesn't reach the dog house. I was warned by the officer not to go onto private property so I do have to be careful. I did feel extra bad cuz why wouldnt Max think I came to let him play with us. Then when I left ... how do you explain a broken heart :sad:

What a horrible yard and house and owner

Frenchyyyyyyyyyyyy got tweezers?

Frenchy
February 12th, 2007, 12:12 PM
So basicly he hasn't have access to shelter and this guy should get another warning from the city/animal control. And you have a picture to prove it. :sad: people suck :yell:

phoenix
February 12th, 2007, 12:26 PM
I think you're right, I don't think max could get into that house with that chain.

I hope someone does something to help :yell: you have done as much as you can without getting into trouble! I love that, you're trying to protect the animal and the officer warns YOU not to break the law. Argh.

chico2
February 12th, 2007, 12:46 PM
For sure,he could not get in to the house:sad:
What a heartless jerk!!
Is it really cold there?? Here it's only -2C.

GG,the HS checking on outdoor dogs was the Toronto Humane,not the Oakville one,it was on the news last night,but I doubt they have enough staff to check the whole city,this was probably a warning to people:confused:

chico2
February 12th, 2007, 12:48 PM
I am taking my cats outside,then I am checking on the old Beagle,when I take Bailey out,maybe I would see the cat too:fingerscr

Frenchy
February 12th, 2007, 12:50 PM
I am taking my cats outside,then I am checking on the old Beagle,when I take Bailey out,maybe I would see the cat too:fingerscr

if you can get her out of there (beagle) and ship her to me by train,nobody will know...

meb999
February 12th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Chico and GG -- both your stories are breakin' my heart :sad:

Winston
February 12th, 2007, 01:09 PM
I found this poem and thought I would share! It really hits home!

Cindy

WITH MY EYES

My prayer tonight is for all who
lie down in chains and cages.

Alone and afraid on
a concrete floor.
Soundless screams behind
the clang of metal.
Locked in rooms
most will never see.

I feel their fear arise in my soul
Ancient yet new...
A primal flame burning against
the walls of my heart.

I want to scream an endless note,
Loud and true:

Clubbed.
Forgotten.
Dismembered.
Forgotten.
Gassed.
Forgotten.
Beaten.
Forgotten.
Burned.
Forgotten.
Electrocuted.
Forgotten.
Abandoned.
Forgotten.
Poisoned.
Forgotten.
Skinned.
Forgotten.
Shot.
Forgotten.
Caged.
Forgotten.
Shackled.
Forgotten.
Murdered.
Forgotten.

And our my eyes,
they will be seen.

With our voice,
they will be heard.

With our hands,
they will know comfort.

With our action,
they will be free.

Dear God, fill their oppressors
with mercy and empathy.
Dear God, instill compassion
where there is apathy.
Replace horror with grace.
Bloodshed with healing.

Restore all humans and animals
to their natural place.
Liberate all humans and animals
from greed, violence and hate.

So that tonight and evermore,
ALL may lie down to sleep
unchained
uncaged
free.

Golden Girls
February 12th, 2007, 02:46 PM
I emailed another complaint asking if he could go back to this address and check to see if Max can reach his dog house. I also thought he might be quite thin for a GSD mix - I included the above photo. sigh ...

chico2
February 12th, 2007, 03:19 PM
GG,I just wonder why he has to be chained:sad: is there no fence??or could he jump the fence?
I just HATE chains,at least if he can move,he can chase squirrels etc,try to entertain himself...the shelter also looked awfully bare and cold:sad:
But at least now,he has someone to look out for him:thumbs up

I walked by the Beagles home,I don't know if it's good or bad news,but she was not there anymore..:fingerscr Frenchy,I wish I could put her on a train to you,she deserves to live out her life in comfort:sad: I'll go and check every day.
What bothers me,in situations like this,that the neighbors don't care..
A friend of mine has neighbors who keep 2 Papillions outside in a pen 24/7:yell:
My sons neighbor(the one who had the bunny)is a BYB(Beagles),also keeps his dogs outdoors 24/7,they've never been in the house,except when they are birthing..there is soo much misery out there,poor dogs:sad:

meb999
February 12th, 2007, 03:28 PM
so sad...all of it.....Max is very handsome, and he does look skinny to me :sad: . I wish there was something we could do....

mindis12
February 12th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Such a pretty dog, to be in such a bad situation. He doesnot have a food bowl and or water bowl anywhere in sight! No bedding in his house to keep him warm either. So unfair! I hope you can get something done! :sorry: Pup! :dog: :grouphug:

Golden Girls
February 12th, 2007, 04:14 PM
The fence is all broken so for his safety he's chained. I guess that depends on what peoples version of safety means. Chained/caged same diff to me. ok well he's cold too. I wish these things didnt bother me so much but they do. He supposively goes in at night so food is not needed and it's winter so neither is water he can lick the snow < -- I don't know why he said that it's not the same thing at all. Animal Control took pic's of his poo next to that tarp thing so he says he gets food - g wow

This I got from the above link "Dogs Deserve Better"
To chain a dog is to deprive it of its essential nature. A dog is a wolf...and to turn that animal into an isolated chained prisoner is the height of cruelty.
Jeffrey Masson, Ph.D.

Have you heard from HS yet? Maybe you didn't see the Beagle because they paid them a visit :fingerscr hopefully she's in the house :fingerscr

chico2
February 12th, 2007, 04:32 PM
GG,I did not hear from HS,but I really do not expect too,I wish they would let me know,so I could feel better and have no need to check on her in the future.:sad:
But they are busy,I understand that..I'll just have to keep visiting her.
I checked www.oakvillehumane.ca to see if she would be there,but I think if they went there,they probably just told the owners to keep the dog inside,unless they found evidence of medical neglect.

Golden Girls
February 12th, 2007, 04:41 PM
:fingerscr then for her Chico. I better not say anything more, apparently people are very sensitive to topics related to this.

rainbow
February 12th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Poor Max...there's no way he can reach his shelter. :sad: Why can't the moron build him a dog run at least. :mad:

Frenchy
February 12th, 2007, 07:14 PM
They really should take the dog out, owner is suppose to provide food , water and shelter, shelter that he can actually get to !!! It's the law right ? So they have to do something about it :mad: (I showed this to a coworker,she told me she can't foster beause she owns 3 dogs but she offered to go and "get" the dog :p )

BLB
February 12th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Maybe you should put the pressure on animal control by mentioning the spca seizures and see what they do when you mention television coverage. Also isn't there a length of leash law in Quebec. Max can't get to that house the chain is to high up and that house can't be warm.:yell:

coppperbelle
February 12th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Why even get a dog :frustrated:

That is my question, why!!!!!!

Golden Girls
February 13th, 2007, 08:29 AM
It's brrrrrrrr -30 right now with the wind. I went at 6 this morning and was so happy to see he must of been inside. I'm going back soon. I want to give Animal Control a chance :pray: although I didn't hear back yet from yesterday's complaint he did go last week :fingerscr

I agree, why get a dog but then again why not. Just throw them in a cage, chain them or leave them outback - their no trouble at all :mad: ... for them that is :sad:

Frenchy
February 13th, 2007, 12:18 PM
I'm so glad to hear he wasn't outside. I couldn't stop to think about him this morning :sad: -33 C* wind chill factor.:sad:

meb999
February 13th, 2007, 01:08 PM
yeah, ditto....I thought of him as I was freezin' my buns off this morning...glad he was brought inside ....

Golden Girls
February 13th, 2007, 03:31 PM
It's not as cold as it was it's actually nice outside but Max wasn't there again. Hopefully he's ok. AC went back in regards to my yesterday's e-mail but couldn't do much bec he wasn't there neither when he went. He did say however because everything appears to meet the law requirements he doubts anything can or will get done :frustrated:

Did you see the lil Beagle today Chico?

chico2
February 13th, 2007, 04:22 PM
No GG,I did not..phew!!and she is not exactly little,looks to be quiet heavy.
Who knows,maybe they gave her up to HS or maybe they are keeping her in the garage,or hopefully the house..I will continue keeping an eye on her or the lack of her.:fingerscr
After walking Bailey(she loves the snow!!)I came back looking like a snowman:laughing:
I am glad Max was not outside,maybe the owner would be willing too part with him:fingerscr

Golden Girls
February 13th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks for looking out for her :goodvibes: even if she's in the garage it's better then the wind and snow.
O I bet Bailey loves the snow mine love it too. Thank god my schedule allows them to play outside everyday, sure tires them out though :lovestruck:

Can't wait for tomorrow's snow woo hoo!

Frenchy
February 13th, 2007, 05:02 PM
He did say however because everything appears to meet the law requirements he doubts anything can or will get done :frustrated:

Just checking up before I leave work but how can he say that ??? The dog can't get to his shelter so thereby has no shelter ? :confused:

Golden Girls
February 13th, 2007, 05:51 PM
:shrug: I agree. Drastic measures I guess, c post # 52. Most complaints are clear offences but the real issue is not whether the law is strong enough, but whether or not our SPCA's, HS, Animal Control or the police are committed enough to make use of it! Sadly more times then not complaints do not result in seizures of single yard dogs.

I've sent these guys an e-mail http://www.dogsdeservebetter.com/home.html Asking for their help. They have already helped in the past ... many times :fingerscr They even participated in one of our demonstrations against a certain puppy mill :frustrated: Their an excellent organization :thumbs up

rainbow
February 13th, 2007, 06:24 PM
I sure hope they can. :fingerscr It seems odd that the guy didn't leave Max out. Maybe he didn't go to work. Maybe he gave him to someone. Is it possible the neighbour who looked after Max would know?

Glad the beagle isn't being left outside anymore.

Frenchy
February 13th, 2007, 08:18 PM
I've sent these guys an e-mail http://www.dogsdeservebetter.com/home.html

wow, I love their website ! And what they do of course ! :thumbs up

Golden Girls
February 14th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Their amazing :pawprint:
It seems odd that the guy didn't leave Max out. Maybe he didn't go to work. Maybe he gave him to someone. Is it possible the neighbour who looked after Max would know?I was a lil concerned about that because his car was gone? I kinda hung around in hopes the doggie sitter would of come out but at the same time I didn't want to appear obvious either. Got to stay cool.

He was outside at 6h30. I accidentally dropped both Misti and Brandi's leashes and they took off to play with him. I had no choice but to trespass so we sort of played with him a bit. He absolutely, definately and positively cannot go into his house while chained. When we left, wow was he ever vocal :eek: he was howling sigh gawd I hated having to leave him. It's been snowing all morning

chico2
February 14th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Awww GG,what a heartbreaking situation:sad:
I bet it's tearing you to pieces,:sad:

Golden Girls
February 14th, 2007, 10:08 AM
This is not acceptable. The people who have the power to do something won't, and people with no power are willing to help but can't,what's up with that :shrug:

Frenchy
February 14th, 2007, 10:30 AM
But it's blowing snow and cold ! :sad: I can't believe this, they are suppose to do something about it, he has NO F****** SHELTER !!! :mad: :yell:

Frenchy
February 14th, 2007, 10:34 AM
I accidentally dropped both Misti and Brandi's leashes and they took off to play with him.

I like that part, accidentally...maybe one of the leashe could "accidentally" get attach and stuck to the husky.....

rainbow
February 14th, 2007, 07:34 PM
OMG....with the weather you guys are having back there right now WHY isn't Animal Control coming out when they know poor Max can't REACH his shelter. :yell: This is just so sad. :sad: :mad:

chico2
February 15th, 2007, 08:48 AM
I believe with as cold as it is here -20C,any animal could freeze to death,it's a 911 emergency:sad:
I am going to check if the old Beagle is safe today,otherwise I am knocking on the door!!
GG,:pray: for Max and you:pray:

i_have_too_many
February 15th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Hey, just though I would remind you that animals can be poorly treated indoors too, it's just that no one is able to see it. For example. I heard a little while ago that there is a lady around where I live who "breeds" Standard Poodles. Apparantly she has 45 of them, and they are all in her house and NEVER go outside, I mean even to pee. The rooms are divided with baby gates (like that could hold back a St. poodle) and the dogs are separated by sex. But they often break down the gates and just breed wildly.

I would do something but I dont know who it is, or where she lives. I heard this from someone who's daughter goes there for home-care, it's no wonder the couple are ill, living in that?!? And the dogs, they have no choice but to stay, walking on dirty newspaper all day, who knows where they are sleeping. She told this lady who does home-care that her dogs are well known and are Champions and worth $5000 each, really.

I wish SPCA's would take things more seriously, they seam to check out the calls that are not serious and ignore the ones that are life-threatening, at least that is they way they work around here. A few years ago we had the SPCA stop in to "check" our dog (a husky/mal x), someone had called saying that we were neglecting him. So the lady checked him over, saw that he had food, water, a large (I mean huge, insulated, siding, shingles, everything) doghouse and room to run. She left unable to tell us who had reported it. We think it was the lady down the road who I had asked to stop "borrowing" him. Here's the story. We asked her husband to watch the dog for us while we were away for a few days, after we had returned, she continued to come over, bringing him bones (we didnt want him to have) and just taking him to her house for the day, without telling us. I asked her to stop, politely, and a few days later this officer showed up.

Good luck G.G with your rescue mission, you will probably need it. I just wish I could do something about those poor poodles. :sad:

Stacer
February 15th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Hey GG, you don't have to let a lock on that chain stop you. A nice set of bolt cutters will cut through that chain like butter. From the pictures, the chain doesn't look too thick. Maybe you could get someone to do it for you? I would if I lived closer, is he there at night time? You could plan a whole covert operation, just make sure you've got somewhere for him to go once you spring him from the joint.

Golden Girls
February 15th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Thank you for all your suggestions and support, it helps really.

I know you must of been worried about him so I really wanted to tell you he was not outside today phew! I frozed on the tracks this morning with snow blowing and winds prob -40. The snow was to my thighs and I almost had a heart attack, I'm sure I looked completely nuts!

I did decide though I was going to take him today. Not steal him, just rescue him since no one else seems to think it's cruelty. I called animal control and gave him my full address but also told him I contacted the media so he was welcome to call the police.

I sent this complaint to our MSPCA as they can enforce the criminal code. Inspector Davenport will visit Max tomorrow. It was also suggested to make a complaint to Anima-Quebec ... just to cover all angles.

I guess we need not wonder why people simply give up when trying to make a complaint against animal cruelty :2cents:

Golden Girls
February 15th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Chico did you have a chance to go by the Beagle's house :fingerscr

rainbow
February 15th, 2007, 07:20 PM
GG, does this mean you have Max at your house now? :fingerscr

Frenchy
February 15th, 2007, 07:42 PM
OMG GG thanks for all your efforts :highfive: :grouphug: it is incredible that you have to go thru all those complaints to make someone get off his/her butt. It's so unfortunate for the animals. There's many people who would have gave up after 2-3 calls. But not you :angel: I'll pm you my phone number if you ever get the dog and need a rescue to take him.

Golden Girls
February 15th, 2007, 07:56 PM
No Rainbow he wasn't there :pawprint: I'm was just so happy he wasn't freezing today but it still doesn't change anything as I'm sure he'll be out tomorrow. I can't keep going back everyday as it's not only time consuming it's so horrible to see, a very exhausting feeling having to walk away :sad: Yesterday he had a hold of my arm with both paws he was hanging on for life. It's killing me. I could understand them not doing anything if the temp's were normal but this is just unbearable for him. What a idiot owner and even neighbors, how could they allow this to go on this long.

Seing the SPCA is suppose to go tomorrow I'll wait one more day in case they will seize him but I get a feeling :shrug: Are we suppose to just say oh ok I did my part :confused: I don't get it.

Thank you Frenchy I'll keep your # in da bank ;)

rainbow
February 15th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Sorry GG...I read your post too fast. I seen the I did decide though I was going to take him today. Not steal him, just rescue him since no one else seems to think it's cruelty. I called animal control and gave him my full address but also told him I contacted the media so he was welcome to call the police. and got all excited. :o

That must have been heartwrenching having him hold on to your arm with his paws. :sad: He obviously is not happy where he is. :sad: Thank you for all you've done so far. :angel: Hope SPCA finally does something tomorrow. :fingerscr

Golden Girls
February 15th, 2007, 08:09 PM
It's ok Rainbow, the way I wrote it I could of went back after the fact :o I had called animal control before going. I was hoping he'd say he'd seize him because of the cold :mad: He only said ok, he'll wait and see if the owner calls him to report a missing dog :frustrated:

According to the Canadian Federation of Humane Societies they doubt the CSPCA will be able to use the criminal code :shrug: I hope they go tomorrow though, he said they were still very busy with last weeks puppy mill bust and I think they're working on another one. I'll check on Max in the morning :fingerscr

rainbow
February 15th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Thanks GG. I know how difficult it must be to go check on Max in the weather you guys are having right now. :frustrated:

I had called animal control before going. I was hoping he'd say he'd seize him because of the cold He only said ok, he'll wait and see if the owner calls him to report a missing dog

Does that mean he's saying that he doesn't care if you rescue Max and he'll turn a "blind eye"? :fingerscr And, is animal control different than the spca? It is here but I was just wondering as some things seem different back there. :o

mummummum
February 16th, 2007, 07:36 AM
How can a Society which claims to care for and protect animals continue to call itself that when it apparently does no such thing ? Hmmmm... maybe time for some publicity ?

chico2
February 16th, 2007, 09:39 AM
GG,I am soooo proud of your determination to help Max,I wish I lived close,2 determined women are easier than one and you might need a cell-mate:)
Jokes aside,hopefully AC,will finally do something,even if only to have your complaints stop.:fingerscr

The Beagle girl was nowhere to be seen yesterday,the yard she was kept in,has at least 50cm of snow,she would not even be able to walk in it..
I walked up the neighbors drive-way to look in the back-yard and the neighbor came out,said he has not seen her for a week.
I don't know what that means for her,maybe Oakville Humane took her,or maybe they made the owner see the light,I don't know..at least she's not out in the cold:fingerscr

You are one brave lady,just be really careful trudging in the deep snow,I have a breathing-problem and find even the cold makes me short of breath when I walk Bailey,hopefully it will be warmer soon.
I wish you could recruit someone to help you out,if you decide to 'steal'Max,no animal-loving neighbors????

chico2
February 16th, 2007, 09:45 AM
I_have_too_many,if I were you I would really try to find out where this house is,it must be a really stinky place...
I am surprised the Caretaker has not said anything,or refused to go in there at least.
If these people need a Caretaker,I am sure those dogs are not doing well:sad:
Sometimes to help suffering dogs,all it takes is a phonecall:dog:

cpietra16
February 16th, 2007, 10:11 AM
It would be wonderful if someone took this dog away from the owner. These kind of people won't even notice the dog missing:sad:
I haven't read the thread from the beginning, but if this dog can not get into his shelter , can you get the shelter closer to him? Can you put a blanket in it at least until the weather gets better.

Golden Girls
February 16th, 2007, 10:30 AM
I went really early and he wasn't outside. I'm heading out soon again :pray: It's freezing again.

Rainbow: AC have only by-laws they work with which is very weak and after 3 complaints and depending on the officer they can issue a ticket. Next step is making a complaint with the SPCA's who legally can work with the criminal code but the words "property" and "wilfully" < -- hurts animal cases. Organizations have been trying for years to make amendments - shot down everytime :sad:

This AC officer seems very concerned but explained his position as AC which I understand. He too has to work with our MSPCA. I just want to make it clear - he's employed with the city and has a job to do which doesn't include any illegal activity.

If I do take Max, IMO I'm not stealing him. I will bring him home to warm up. Maybe this owner just doesn't realize ":rolleyes:" If the owner decides to press charges, that'll be his decision but is the very reason I called AC so that he can give the owner my number. It's an open forum and feel it's important to clarify that I'm not advertising any illegal wrong doings :shrug:

Golden Girls
February 16th, 2007, 10:34 AM
I don't think I can move his house and I would gladly bring a blanket for him but if I do that it'll hurt Max's case. The ball I gave to him last week was used to say not only did he have a house - he had toys :eek:

Golden Girls
February 16th, 2007, 10:38 AM
The Beagle girl was nowhere to be seen yesterday,the yard she was kept in,has at least 50cm of snow,she would not even be able to walk in it..
I walked up the neighbors drive-way to look in the back-yard and the neighbor came out,said he has not seen her for a week.
I don't know what that means for her,maybe Oakville Humane took her,or maybe they made the owner see the light,I don't know..at least she's not out in the cold:fingerscr Cell mate :laughing: This is good news Chico, just maybe this owner decided she doesn't want any more visitors from AC. I think had they removed her they would of called you. So because of you, she's probably warm :grouphug:

mona_b
February 16th, 2007, 10:50 AM
the officer warns YOU not to break the law. Argh.

That's the way it goes.People need to realize that they can do more harm then good when trying to help an animal.You go on the persons private property and take the dog.You will get charged.Have a record and guess what?The dog gets returned to the owner.So the dog still looses in the long run.:sad:

In the pic,I didn't notice any water or food.Did you let them know about that?Have you emailed them the pics?..Keep getting on their case.If this guy has already gotten a couple of warnings,then he needs to get more.Also,why have shelter if he can't get into it.:rolleyes: GG,just keep at it.But my advise to you is don't take matters into your own hands.

chico,that poor chunky Beagle :sad: ..I do hope she will be ok.:sad:

Golden Girls
February 16th, 2007, 11:05 AM
That's the way it goes.People need to realize that they can do more harm then good when trying to help an animal.You go on the persons private property and take the dog.You will get charged.Have a record and guess what?The dog gets returned to the owner.So the dog still looses in the long run.:sad:

In the pic,I didn't notice any water or food.Did you let them know about that?Have you emailed them the pics?..Keep getting on their case.If this guy has already gotten a couple of warnings,then he needs to get more.Also,why have shelter if he can't get into it.:rolleyes: GG,just keep at it.But my advise to you is don't take matters into your own hands.

chico,that poor chunky Beagle :sad: ..I do hope she will be ok.:sad:Thank you Mona, I appreciate what your saying. The owner told AC that he feeds him morning and night so it's not necc to leave food out but we all can see just how much he actually gets. AC also said it's winter so water doesn't need to be put out, which is bull but from his position I guess he can't do much bec there's snow. The SPCA is supp to go today and I think he can do something because of the no water thing and have included the pictures with the complaints.

I guess what I'm saying is I'm willing to take chances against this owner. I'm not that crazy about it being Friday cuz there's a chance I wouldn't pass in front of the judge till Monday but that being said I have a contact in the media who's waiting for the outcome of this. I don't think they really need the publicity at this time with all the raids that have been done lately. Quebec suks and I think it's time people seen why :frustrated: but I think all the Max's out there really need help. It's just way too cold to allow people to treat their animals with such cruelty.

poodletalk
February 16th, 2007, 11:12 AM
SusieQT and BouBou had a similiar situation with a 13 year old dog tied outside it's entire life. It had a happy ending, the dog now lives with BouBou and she's rules the home. I hope Max has a happy ending as well.

Take a look at this thread

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17300

mona_b
February 16th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Are you serious?Water doesn't need to be put out because it's winter?OMG

You wouldn't hear them saying that here.

People make me sick...:yuck:

Golden Girls
February 16th, 2007, 11:19 AM
O yeah I remember that one :thumbs up

I know Mona, have you heard of anything more stupid? When I questioned the AC he seriously thought I was nuts. Gues there so use to saying anything to shut one up :shrug: k I'm seriously leaving to to check on Max :lovestruck:

CyberKitten
February 16th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Re: 2 determined women are easier than one and you might need a cell-mate

I know you meant GG but if you need a 3rd inmate , I need a rest (lol) and I'd be glad to help free the little beagle. I think of this pooch often - having once had a beagle who turned up his nose at not being under every blanket in the house when it is cold outside, I cannot begin to imagine the condition this poor dog is in.

And GG, that god is beautiful too - and that is no dog house, it looks like a prison!!

How sad!!! I know this has been said all too often but why do ppl get pets f they are going to neglect and abuse them? Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhh!!!!

Frenchy
February 16th, 2007, 12:17 PM
You go on the persons private property and take the dog.You will get charged.Have a record and guess what?The dog gets returned to the owner.So the dog still looses in the long run.:sad:

Only if you get caught.

chico2
February 16th, 2007, 02:21 PM
CK,the Beagle is ok for now,at least she's not outside in the snow..
I contacted the Oakville Humane,sent them the pics,hopefully they visited the home,they are pretty good,busy,but not as busy as bigger cities.

Golden Girls
February 16th, 2007, 03:07 PM
I'm so relieved for both the Beagle and Max. He wasn't outside neither :goodvibes: I got bold and banged on the dogsitters back and pretended to ask if Max could come out to play seeing he hasn't been seen for 2 days.

He told me that someone's been harrassing the owner so Max is in the garage. It's sad but not as sad as being cold. I guess if SPCA did go today they won't see him but it doesn't matter, the complaint has been made.

I now have the whole weekend in hopes of running into this guy. I told the dogsitter I was looking for a third dog and if he knew anyone with an extra one to let me know. ya right! Thought I'd just throw that in just in case this guy would consider letting me buy him or whatever. I'll keep you guys posted with this long story lol :fingerscr

It's not that bad outside if your not facing the wind. My eyelashes are still full of ice :goodvibes:

Golden Girls
February 16th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Sure I can just see me Chico and u CK http://bestsmileys.com/cops/8.gif sitting in back of this car ;)
:fingerscr Ya think Mona would come to our rescue :D :fingerscr

chico2
February 16th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Yeah,but I bet we would have a lot of supporters,bringing us cakes and stuff:laughing:

Frenchy
February 16th, 2007, 07:17 PM
I'll come and visit you guys , unless I'm in there with you :p

rainbow
February 16th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Well, it's kind of hard for me to come visit but I'll send you guys care packages. :D

Seriously though....GG you are an angel for all you've done for Max :angel: and I hope something is finally going to be done. :fingerscr

TeriM
February 17th, 2007, 01:54 AM
I'll send care packages too :D .

mona_b
February 17th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Only if you get caught.

You don't have to be caught in the act to be charged.You can be charged after the fact.

Don't worry GG,I have connections.My neice's hubby to be is a Criminal Lawyer...;) :D

chico2
February 17th, 2007, 02:42 PM
:offtopic: Mona,glad to see you back:thumbs up

Golden Girls
February 17th, 2007, 04:45 PM
:fingerscr I really hope so too Rainbow :pawprint: Today, again no sight of him.

Me too I wondered where you've gone Mona, welcome back and it looks like just in time too :o Good to hear you even have connections :D Do you still have that cutie-patootie partner?

mona_b
February 17th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Awwww thanks Ladies.....:)

Ohhhhhhh that I do....;) ;)

I just hope both babies are ok.:)

At least Max is out of the cold....And I must say,he is a handsome boy.

chico2
February 18th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Mona,I drove up yesterday to the old Beagles home,she's still not there,but the sign and lean-to shelter still is...so,so far so good,I think:fingerscr

Golden Girls
February 18th, 2007, 09:56 AM
At least Max is out of the cold....And I must say,he is a handsome boy.At least their both a lil warmer :shrug: :fingerscr
He's handsome, he's picture doesn't even do him justice - up close OOO :cloud9:
I'm going soon to check on him, :pray: he get's to play with us again

mona_b
February 18th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Mona,I drove up yesterday to the old Beagles home,she's still not there,but the sign and lean-to shelter still is...so,so far so good,I think:fingerscr

So the SPCA put a sign up?Wow.So then there will be a possible investigation.:highfive: :fingerscr

Yayyy,Max has a play date.:highfive:

I must say though,looks like Max has had some training though.The reason I say this is because of the way he is off the chain(many would just take off) and how he is with you and your dogs(unsocialized he would want to fight).I've been to a few calls where there have been dogs chained up.And I tell you,if they were off the leash they would rip us apart.They don't let you anywhere near the home.

chico2
February 18th, 2007, 11:29 AM
No,no Mona,I wish....I meant this sign..

chico2
February 18th, 2007, 11:30 AM
GG,I missed the part about him playng with you guys again,that's great:thumbs up

badger
February 18th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Wouldn't that be great? This pet owner is being investigated by the SPCA - nothing like a little public shaming. Of course, charter rights being what they are, there's no way.

Also nothing to stop a concerned citizen having a few Animal Abuser stickers printed up and 'decorating' the existing sign.

mona_b
February 18th, 2007, 12:43 PM
No,no Mona,I wish....I meant this sign..

Ohhhhhh.Sorry I thought I read that a sign from the SPCA was put up..Blonde moment...:D

Prin
February 18th, 2007, 12:44 PM
I think if you do "take matters into your own hands" you should at least get the mods to delete this thread. :o

Good luck! :fingerscr

Frenchy
February 18th, 2007, 01:01 PM
But it wouldn't be illegal if the dog would escape and wound up at GG's house (by following the goldens's smell) and then escape again and wound up at a rescue :rolleyes:

Prin
February 18th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Well, ALL the dogs in my neighborhood always end up at my house when they run away because I'm the only one without a fenced yard and they smell my dogs all over it. :shrug: Could happen.

chico2
February 18th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Badger,bad girl,stop giving me these ideas....now,where to find a sticker or two:laughing:
Unfortunately the owners of the old Beagle knows me,not by name though or where I live.I tried to speak to him a while back,but his english is really bad,an older man.

chico2
February 18th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Prin,GG is not doing anything illegal,I am assuming Max is with the other neighbor today,like once before and that's when GG's Goldens get to play with him.

rainbow
February 18th, 2007, 02:10 PM
I'm going soon to check on him, :pray: he get's to play with us again

I hope he gets to play with you and the doggies too. :fingerscr He had so much fun the last time. :)

Hopefully, you can still get him rescued from his owner. :fingerscr :pray: :goodvibes:

Golden Girls
February 18th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Thanks Chico :) Guess I'll repeat I am not doing anything illegal so no need to "nudge" the mods! When it was -30/-40 the other day I called AC before going and told him if Max was chained outside I'd bring him home to warm up and if the owner wanted to press charges, so be it. It didn't happen ... anyway

Exactly again Chico I went to see if Max could play ... and sure enough with permission we played. OK they played, I literally beat up. One of them stole my hat, another my gloves and Max well here ya go ... he kepted knocking me over. The pictures aren't great, it was really snowing and windy :)

1st one: WEEEEEEEEE 2nd: Max truly has no manners - knocked me right over :lovestruck:

Golden Girls
February 18th, 2007, 02:18 PM
3rd: waiting for a cookie 4th: look at that face :cloud9:

Golden Girls
February 18th, 2007, 02:21 PM
5th: He kept knocking me over :o 6th: He was sooo happy :cloud9:

I took many more, but with the snow and wind, the rest is too blury. Anyway we had a blast! Enjoy

rainbow
February 18th, 2007, 02:35 PM
I love the play bow pic. :lovestruck: Max looks like he had sooo much fun (again). :highfive: Thanks, GG. :thumbs up

I went to see if Max could play ... and sure enough with permission we played.

Did you get permission from the owner or the neighbour?

Golden Girls
February 18th, 2007, 02:39 PM
That's the best part of today ... the owner. I wanted so much to casually meet him and well we met. I don't think it's going to be as bad as I thought :fingerscr

rainbow
February 18th, 2007, 02:50 PM
WOW....that is great news. :highfive: Hopefully, you can convince him to put up a fence or at least a dog run. :fingerscr :pray:

Frenchy
February 18th, 2007, 03:49 PM
That's the best part of today ... the owner. I wanted so much to casually meet him and well we met. I don't think it's going to be as bad as I thought :fingerscr

:highfive: that's great GG ! I swear I tought you had a sheep beside you in the third pic :p

chico2
February 18th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Frenchy,that soo true,looks just like a sheep:laughing:
GG,I am soooo happy you got to communicate with the owner,maybe there'll be some positive results for Max:fingerscr
He looks like he is a BIG dog,beautiful!
I am surprised he does not run off,he stays with you:thumbs up
It looks really cold and windy,thank's for caring sooo much for Max:thumbs up

cpietra16
February 18th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Maybe you can invite him to get into the pets.ca site and we'll help him the owner that he could be:D

Golden Girls
February 18th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Max isn't trained but he has excellent recall. I found out he's a 3 yr old GSD + Huskie and was adopted from the MSPCA last year.
Maybe you can invite him to get into the pets.ca site and we'll help him the owner that he could be:Dthis would be definately pushing it :D

Golden Girls
February 18th, 2007, 08:28 PM
I swear I tought you had a sheep beside you in the third picaww poor Brandi, your calling her a sheep :sad:

Frenchy
February 18th, 2007, 08:47 PM
aww poor Brandi, your calling her a sheep :sad:

Sheeps are cute ! She is all fuzzy and curly :lovestruck:

Golden Girls
February 20th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Sheeps are cute ! She is all fuzzy and curly :lovestruck:Her curls r crazy and Mist has really straight hair :shrug:
Re Max, he wasn't there all three times I passed today so :fingerscr a visit from AC was enough for this guy to at least keep Max indoors :pray:

chico2
February 20th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Same for the old Beagle-girl,I have not seen her outside since before the snow-storm,maybe,hopefully HS gave them a talking too:fingerscr
HS,might not remove the dog if she was healthy,but not giving medical care when needed is a misdemeanor(sp?),so who knows...
I'll keep on walking by,when i take Bailey out...
It's getting warmer,but still too much snow in her yard..

Golden Girls
February 20th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Thanks for keeping us posted on the Beagle :highfive:
It's not too cold today, I'm going to bring some food in case Max is outside.

Frenchy
February 20th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Thanks to you guys ( GG and Chico2) 2 dogs are now in a warm place like it should be.

Golden Girls
February 20th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Great ... today is just one of those days :yell: my son is now walking home with Max ... he apparently broke his chain and chased after him. Shoot now what :confused: I have no choice, I just left a message with Animal Control.

Frenchy
February 20th, 2007, 12:43 PM
I don't blame the dog, he wants to be with his friend.....:grouphug:

Golden Girls
February 20th, 2007, 05:25 PM
I couldn't wait any longer for AC so I took a chance the dog-sitter was home so that's where he is now. Safe and warm :)

Winston
February 20th, 2007, 05:41 PM
GG I am confused?? This guy has a dog sitter and he leaves Max outdoors in those freezing temp's??

Cindy

Golden Girls
February 21st, 2007, 01:26 PM
I only know this dog-sitter took care of Max when the owner went to a hocky tournament for about 5 days. I doubt he'll pay to have it done daily :) This guy wasn't too happy I left Max with him yesterday but what choice did I have.

He wasn't out earlier today but then again his did break his chain. I hope I didnt create a monster :D

chico2
February 21st, 2007, 02:59 PM
GG,the only thing you did,was trying to show Max what beeing a dog is all about,even a few minutes of play and romping around must mean the world to him:dog: :thumbs up

Stacer
February 21st, 2007, 05:11 PM
Maybe the owner will see how happy Max is when he plays with you and will either a) see what he's missing by neglecting such a loving and playful dog. or b) see how mcuh you're enjoying Max and offer him to you.

I hope Max gets a happy ending.

Golden Girls
February 22nd, 2007, 03:01 PM
I really wish Stacer this owner would see Max needs love and attention, but he doesn't appear to care in the least. I have to assume it's to entertain his son every other week-end :shrug: There's all kinds :sad:

On a happier note, I got to see him today. The owner fixed his chain, and although it's pretty mild out you can see he moved the chain closer to his dog house where now he can go in if he choses :thumbs up

I took this one photo this morning. I brought him some food but just threw it in as I didnt want to go on his property. As you can see I didn't do such a good job - poor Max, it was hard for him to reach but he managed to get every kibble. I know sometimes dogs can appear starving when their not but Max is definately not getting enough food. I'm going to bring him 2 cups every morning unless I get caught :evil:

I'm a typical worrywart and tend to overfeed I know that but does Max look as skinny as I think he is?

chico2
February 22nd, 2007, 03:40 PM
GG,it looks like he has the chain around his leg:eek:
He looks very slender,not starvation-diet skinny,but still,I am sure he'll like a little extra though:thumbs up
Are you sure the chain is long enough for him to get in to his shelter,it does not look like it,but it could be the picture making it look that way,poor boy,I just hate chains:sad: Luckily he has you:dog:

Golden Girls
February 22nd, 2007, 03:53 PM
It's a really bad angle and it does appear to be around his leg but it's not, thank gawd. Don't worry Chico he can get in, not by alot but it does reach. I don't see him going in though anyway, I mean he'd have to go in then face the back, he certainly couldn't turn around or anything. People are such morons.

It's ok I'll keep an eye on him everyday and hopefully if I don't get the owner mad in any way he'll allow Max to come play with us :cloud9: He's such a good boy, I'll never undestand people. I guess it doesn't look that skinny but I did feel him and all I felt was bone. Maybe he now can fatten up a bit

mummummum
February 22nd, 2007, 05:12 PM
GG ~ I understand that this is your neighbour and your neighbourhood and you don't want to do anything to upset the balance or bring havoc onto yourself. No one would disagree with that. But given that you know the ins and outs of the routines of your neighbourhood day and night, could you not facilitate some media publicity given that the local authorties are not responding appropriately ?

chico2
February 24th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Since GG is no longer with us,I will hopefully be able to post any news regarding Max:fingerscr
My Old Beagle-girl has not been outside for a couple of weeks,hopefully she's ok:fingerscr

chico2
February 27th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Max report:I just want to let you all know,GG goes to see Max sometimes twice a day,lets him play for a while with Brandi and Misti.
GG has spoken to the owner,but not aggressivily,just so she can keep seeing Max and maybe open the eyes of the owner to Max's needs.
She will talk to him some more in the weekend and maybe,who knows?Max will one day have a better home:fingerscr
Today,GG visited Max twice and seeing him having fun,soaking up any attention and love given to him,must be heartbreaking,especially since he cries,wen he is once again left to his own devices tied to a chain.
But I for one,am very greatful to GG for caring,at least he gets a few moments without despair and loneliness and hopefully one day he will be off that chain forever:fingerscr
This weekend,GG will talk to the owner and hopefully be able to take Max off the chain and let him play freely with Misti and Brandi,I will post pics if GG takes any..:dog:

poodletalk
February 27th, 2007, 04:55 PM
What happened to GG? OH, I see she has become a bannned user...:confused:

Good news about Max though ;)

athenamor
February 27th, 2007, 08:19 PM
What cruelty. A dog house is great, but not for a 24/7 thing. IMO having a teathered dog with a dog house in the back yard should be when the family is out there enjoying the sunshine with the dog. And the pup would have the option to go lay in the dog house if he isnt up to playing or what not.

As a kid I used to see dogs living outside it's sad. I mean, yes they have shelter, and food and water, but do you see the owner out there serveral hours a day gardening, playing with the pup, or just being near the him/her? Dogs need more then just the basics for survival. They need love and attention.