Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat baths

cersiey
February 6th, 2007, 09:54 PM
For over a year now I have been giving my cat a bath once a month. But just this last time I realized I probably shouldn't do it so often concidering he's an indoor. His coat feels kinda dusty but he doesn't smell bad. Should I instead give him a bath once every two months and get those wipe bath things? Any comment would help. He's not a fan of baths, but he doesn't get violent. He just tries to jump out every now and again and gets vocal. That's actually the only time he really gets vocal. Thanks

jiorji
February 6th, 2007, 09:58 PM
why are you giving your cat baths?!?!
cat are self cleaning...:shrug: they don't require baths ESPECIALLY since it's an indoors cat. You're tormenting your cat for no reason.

Dust is unavoidable but it comes off when he/she grooms himself. No need for baths

dustybird
February 6th, 2007, 10:28 PM
I agree there is no need to bath a cat unless he/she actually gets dirty. If by dust you mean dandruff a good brushing now and then will do more for skin and coat condition than a bath. Brushing helps bring out the oil's in the skin and help keep the skin from being dry(especially in winter) also it helps to remove the dead skin and hair. Leaving less for your cat to ingest and to give a healthy shiny coat. Frequent bathing even once a month can really dry out their skin and cause the coat to feel the way you describe.

Our cats are indoors but sometimes pending the reason(usually because one had an accident in the carrier when we travel) we give them a waterless bath. It's an all natural spray and odourless( nature's miracle I believe, it's in the treat cubbie and they already had some).Spray it on the coat(carefull of the face of course) rub it in gently, quick brush and that's it. Takes about a minute and not traumatic.

Lukka'sma
February 6th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Something I could never understand is why anyone would bath a cat. They have such an aversion to water that I also think it is torment for the cat and so very unecessary.
My two cats lived to 18 years and never had a bath other than the grooming done by them.

vfrohloff
February 7th, 2007, 08:04 AM
I agree, there's absolutely no reason to give a cat a bath unless they've rolled in something stinky. It is traumatic for the cat, and can make their skin dry and itchy. His coat probably feels dusty because you're drying out his skin every time you bath him. :shrug: