Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Yup, he's trying to kill me...

erykah1310
February 6th, 2007, 07:51 PM
WOW... Guy made dinner tonight and apparently " accidently" put cheese in it.:eek:
Not only that!!!!!!!! But "accidently" put his milk in my milk container.... 2% milk is near deadly for me..... and its a far cry from my 0.1% hazy blue water.:D

SO... are there any "cheese alternatives?" cause the lactose and fat in cheese really does not agree with my lack of gallbladder and intolerance to lactose..... BUT.. I love cheese so much. Please tell me there is something that is kinda good (like cheese is ) but wont cause me to feel like im dying:pray:

breeze
February 6th, 2007, 07:54 PM
lactose chesse is available i buy it for my husband in singles and shereded one is swiss cheese and the other one i can't remember the name as long as it says lactose free.

erykah1310
February 6th, 2007, 07:55 PM
would you happen to know the fat content???? Cause anything with more than 5g's of fat per serving really upsets my innerds.:o

Frenchy
February 6th, 2007, 07:58 PM
How about Kraft singles, I don't think there's any cheese in it :p

breeze
February 6th, 2007, 07:59 PM
sorry shereded one is 12% i don't know about the singles don't have any at the monent. there is also loctose free milk 1% what about soy cheese it melts like real cheese so my husband says.

Skryker
February 6th, 2007, 08:58 PM
One of our local stores carries a lactose free low fat Emmenthal (Swiss cheese) that I think is Canadian made. I'd have to look at it the next time I'm in to tell you fat content.

Skryker
February 6th, 2007, 09:03 PM
This is kinda interesting (from Wikipedia)

Some studies claim to show that cheeses including Cheddar, Mozzarella, Swiss and American can help to prevent tooth decay.[22] Several mechanisms for this protection have been proposed:

* The calcium, protein, and phosphorus in cheese may act to protect tooth enamel.
* Cheese increases saliva flow, washing away acids and sugars.
* Cheese may have an antibacterial effect in the mouth.

Cheese is often avoided by those who are lactose intolerant, but ripened cheeses like Cheddar contain only about 5% of the lactose found in whole milk, and aged cheeses contain almost none.

So, a low fat old Cheddar might be OK for you.

erykah1310
February 6th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Oh perhaps... I love old cheese :D

joeysmama
February 6th, 2007, 09:21 PM
I gave up dairy in the late 90's. Can you eat soy cheese? Are you ok with casein? Veggie singles are pretty good. They have casein, a milk derivative, but no lactose. I love the swiss flavor !!

Also Follow Your Heart makes a good cheese substitute and Soy Moon makes a gouda that is INCREDIBLE !

I also love 8th Continent soy milk. Sometiems I use guacamole on Mexican food because it has the creaminess of cheese but no dairy. And even though avocadoes are high in fat it's a good fat. Hummus works on crackers instead of cheese spread. Red pepper hummus is yummy.

Skryker
February 6th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Yeah, anything but old cheddar doesn't taste right! :laughing:

I guess you need to look for cheese made with skim milk? That would be low-fat. Boy, lactose and fat intolerant is tough for a cheese lover!

BTW, do you like cream cheese? Because if you drain the liquid from yougurt, it makes a really good substitute for cream cheese.

papillonmama
February 6th, 2007, 09:23 PM
I can't even imagine, I looove cheese, but my daughter is lactose intollerant too, have you tried the soy cheese? I have no idea how it tastes, or of the fat content. :shrug: :sorry: I don't htink I was really any help.:o

erykah1310
February 6th, 2007, 09:38 PM
I tried soy milk once ... and spewed it out.. :yuck: I get a bit rumbly in the tummy with my 0.1% fat free but i'll deal with that as far as drinking milk...

My main issue now is... Lasagna! what ever am i gonna use on my lasagna... its been almost 2 months since I last ate cheese and I was doing fine ( i thought) however tonight with the cheese and the milk.....:eek: not a good night....
Skryker... I Have never heard of the yogurt thing, I LOVE cream cheese ,but... it causes pain..... more info on this yogurt thing please....;)

joeysmoma... I dont even know what casein is... :o

pap...it kills to not eat cheese... I love cheese... melted cheese, shredded cheese... curds :cloud9: sigh... no more though... this issue gets worse and worse everytime i eat something that i have cut out for a while...

IF EVER they want to remove your gallbladder!!!! DONT DO IT!!!!:o

papillonmama
February 6th, 2007, 10:31 PM
I had my gallbladder taken out too, a couple of years ago, but i'm still not lactose intolerant. Hubby is the same, years ago his gallbladdder removed, but he looves cheese, I should have added more o's he looooooves cheese, and would probably cry if he couldn't have any.:yell: <- hubby crying, not yelling, lol.

Mine is not so bad, I can eat foods that have some fat in it, the worse reaction I get is heartburn. Is it just the fat in the cheese or is it the fat? You could try taking the excess grease out of the foods and adding low fat cheese. WARNING: Only try this on a day when you can hang around at home in case it doesn't work out well.:D

Skryker
February 6th, 2007, 10:35 PM
The yogurt thing is the base for tzatziki, and in middle eastern homes is spread on pita and eaten as is. I think it's called "leben".

Anyways, you take a container of yogurt (for you, low fat and one you can tolerate) and empty it into a strainer lined with coffee filters or cheese-cloth (I find a double layer of coffee filters works well.). Put the strainer over a bowl to catch the whey and let it drain for at least 4 hours (place the bowl in the fridge if it's too hot in your kitchen). Check the consistency then-it should be close to cream cheese. You can add any herbs or spices or fruits you like. The longer you leave it, the thicker it gets.

Basically, it's the first step to making cheese. I've never left it much past the cream cheese or ricotta thickness, but you should be able to get something much like curds if enough whey drains out.

erykah1310
February 6th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Thanks Skryker Im soo going to try that....

Papmom... My aunt had her gallbladder taken out and nothing happened to her at all either.:frustrated: she just has a hard time with Bananas:shrug:
Me on the other hand
-Anything greasy ( fried)
-Too much fat in anything
-Lettuce ( iceburg the most... feels like im digesting razor blades)
-Dairy ( almost all)
-Pastas are starting to make me "act up" too now, so I have moved to multi grain pasta ( really good stuff)
-Fish ( not all but most)
I could go on and on....:frustrated: Darn genetics ( my entire moms family has had it removed except for my mom:shrug: )

Skryker
February 7th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Lol- I just realized, Erykah, that I always think of doing this with plain yogurt, as natural as possible, but I don't see why you couldn't use a fruit yogurt and end up with flavoured "cream cheese". I'll have to try it.

Kristin7
February 7th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Have you ever tried goat or sheep cheese? My mom can't eat cheese but can handle the non-cow kinds of cheese for some reason. She has colitis and many food sensitivities (wheat - except spelt, dairy, some meats and fruits, etc, too many too list really), so not sure what is in the cow's milk cheese that doesn't agree with her. Probably not the same thing, but just thought I'd mention it. She likes rice milk tons better than soy milk, if you haven't tried that,might be worth a shot.

jessi76
February 7th, 2007, 07:42 PM
have you tried taking Lactaid? or eating lactaid products?
Here is a link to their lactose chart:

http://www.lactaid.com/lactose/index.jhtml?id=lactaid/lactose/chart.inc

Ice cream and milk do a number on my system too, but Lactaid REALLY helps me.

Hunter's_owner
February 7th, 2007, 07:46 PM
joeysmoma... I dont even know what casein is... :o

We made casein in an organic chem lab once. I can't remember exactly, but when whey is seperated from milk, casein is what is left....

I will check it out for you to be sure, but it is derived from milk.