Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Border Collie Puppies!

Annabelle<3
February 6th, 2007, 03:38 PM
My cousin brought my Grandma two border collie puppies! They are a few months old and are just extreme fluffballs of pure cuteness! They are both boys. Also... They are have a 'brotherly' bond, meaning they are full blood brothers. My Grandma about cried with joy when she saw them, since she used to own a Border Collie female named 'Missy' but she got caught up at a neighbor's house that usually took pretty good care of her when my Grandma was gone, and she hung herself. My Grandma forgave the person, but they still haven't apologized formally. My Grandpa, as usual, pretends that he doesnt' like any new animals but we all know he secretly loves them.

They're names are 'Fly' & 'Buddy'. They'll help my Grandma chase the sheep into the trailer and stuff. They're quite cute and I've already taught them to sit, stay and lay down. I'm teaching them not to jump up now. Oh yes, simply because my Grandfather recently had a severe stroke, the dogs are not allowed to be in the main part of the house, but don't worry! My Grandma is with them at all times, giving them love, treats and fresh food and water.

What can I say? They adore my Grandma! They already have the sheep knowing who's boss, and my horse, well, he's not sure about the little turds, but he'll get used to them. But yes, they love the outdoors and the indoors, or rather, anywhere where my Grandma goes. They'll warm up to my Grandpa, their dogs always seem to like him better in the end, but we'll see.

Anyway, I'll get pictures ASAP!

doggy lover
February 6th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Oh my god your poor Grandma, two border collies. Hell I have enough trouble with one. Give your grandma my best wishes and please I'd love to see bc babies.

Annabelle<3
February 6th, 2007, 08:16 PM
=D.
She used to have a GSD (Trixie), Missy & a Cock-A-Poo named Bam-Bam. She's used to dogs. Since they all passed on, she's sort of become lonely. Don't worry, the dogs can come and go out of the house as they wish...

Prin
February 6th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Oh my god your poor Grandma, two border collies. Hell I have enough trouble with one. Give your grandma my best wishes and please I'd love to see bc babies.

No kidding! I've had dogs all my life and I think I would die with two border collies.:o

Lots of super good luck wishes for your Grandmother. She'll NEED it.

TeriM
February 6th, 2007, 08:23 PM
That's a lot of puppy :eek:. Sounds like they'll get lots of exercise though so that will help :) . Congrats and good luck.

heidiho
February 6th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Wow what interesting stories you have here ........

pitgrrl
February 6th, 2007, 09:12 PM

.....and brothers no less :eek:

Annabelle<3
February 6th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Wow what interesting stories you have here ........

Okay, my stories are really all true! I will get pictures of my GRANDMA with the dogs if I have to prove it to you. I've had enough of your accusing already. If I wanted to lie, I could make up more interesting stuff. My family is a dog & horse family and yes, I have a lot of stories. ALL OF THEM ARE TRUE. If you have a problem, stop replying to my posts, better yet, stop READING THEM. It seems you have a problem with me, so maybe it'd be better if you just stopped altogether. I did nothing to you.

... Sorry you guys had to see that, I just had to get that off my chest. Anyway, Back to the discussion.

Don't worry! She's getting them neutered. I offered to pay half. =D Anyway. She's owned lots of dogs, she had seven kids, after all. :p

I've learned these guys are high-strung, maybe because their young?, but they are really easily trained. Very smart puppies, both of them!

Annabelle<3
February 6th, 2007, 09:49 PM
.....and brothers no less :eek:

I know. I was a little shocked, but more excited. We go out there a lot and I'm with the dogs & horses a lot. I hope she can handle them. I'm teaching her to understand the way they communicate with her. I don't doubt she thinks I'm nutty. Oh well. I'm just teaching the dogs I have read is the most affected - Praising with love & sometimes treats and/or toys. =D Anyways, thanks for the feedback everyone.

doggy lover
February 7th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Wow where did that come from, I never ment to affend you and I don't think anyone else did either, but owning a 2 1\2 year old bc myself they are lots of work. I'm only in my forties with two teens and he tires us out, I just hope your grandma can manage concidering your grandpa is ill also. Also bc's are not normal dogs believe me, I went into getting mine with eyes wide open but it has been a eye opener, with two you could be asking for double trouble. I ment what I said good luck to your grandma, I hope she enjoys them. I wouldn't trade mine for the world but they can be strange obsessive dogs that is why there are so many in rescues. I think any bc owner will tell you they are not like owning other dogs, they can be a great treat or like living in hell. Good idea would be to find a border collie forum, they will be able to help if you run into any problems. Good luck and I'd love to see pics of them. Here is a pic of mine.

Spirit
February 7th, 2007, 05:43 PM
I wouldn't trade mine for the world but they can be strange obsessive dogs that is why there are so many in rescues.

Border Collies are a working breed. If they don't have a job to do (mental stimulation and regular exercise), they can and usually will become problematic to their owners (destructive, loud, demanding, etc). In my experience, they're no different from any other breed of dog, in that every breed has it's challenges. BC's require a bit more work, but the work they require is very different than that of let's say a pitbull or german shepherd.

If a BC doesn't keep a regular schedule, throwing a ball, while being great exercise (since they have so much to spare as it is), will often quickly lead to obsession if this is their only way to channel their energy and stimulate the mind. Most of them are very low energy indoors, and high energy outdoors. But they all need to be challenged in some way or another.

I think it's great that she has two (and two is easier than one). I just hope she has the energy to keep up with them. lol

heidiho
February 7th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Calm down,umm i think what i said was,wow what stories you have,meaning exactly what it said,why you would get so defensive is beyond me,i read all your threads,and you have alot going on,which is why i said that......

~michelle~
February 7th, 2007, 07:04 PM
wow to bc puppies..... :crazy: thats a handful and a half! bc are great dogs if you understand their breed (like anydog) they can be a little well... off at times but great personalities. two though wow exciting yet training may be difficult at times but im sure with hard work, and some help from her granddaughter shell make it through

Dog Dancer
February 7th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Annabelle sounds a bit young and maybe that's why she's defensive. I didn't take offence to what you said Heidiho, I think she just misread it.
Good luck with the puppies.

Spirit
February 7th, 2007, 07:38 PM
One of my favorite puppy moments came from a BC. She (Max) was about 5 months old at the time (roughly) and we had her lined up in a sit with my managers 2 year old golden, and my (then) 6 month old golden. She was in the middle.

We asked the older golden to give a paw (which he did), then moved over to mine (who also willingly gave a paw), but the funny thing was that it didn't matter who we asked, or what we asked them to do, Max (the border collie) would frantically raise one paw, then the other, then the other again. As if to say "OH! OH! PICK ME!! PICK ME!! I CAN RAISE A PAW... I CAN RAISE TWO PAWS!! Which one do you want? PICK ONE! PICK ME!!". She raised those paws with so much enthusiasm, and occasionally did a quick "down then sit" before raising her paws again, that no one could stop laughing.

Typical border collie style. "I'll do ANYTHING you want, if you reward me for it. Just tell me what to do... I'LL DO IT!"

She turned out to be a GREAT dog, but when I think border collie, I think of her. I just love her, with her one floppy ear and over-eagerness to please. :lovestruck:

heidiho
February 7th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Yeah that is probably it....I will not take it personally