Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

40th Birthday Party

poodletalk
February 6th, 2007, 11:48 AM
This weekend I am going to a 40th birthday party, I don't know what to get the birthday girl. I need ideas....

She has all the clothes, CD'S, DVD'S, cookbooks she can possibly need. I already bought her a SPA Diva package for Christmas a year ago and she hasn't used the entire package yet.

She's a fantastic cook, she doesn't go or want to go to restaurants often...
She doesn't have children or animals....

Ideas please...

joeysmama
February 6th, 2007, 12:44 PM
My boss got married in December and some of the other coaches wanted to chip in for a gift but thsi woman has everything. (Lives in LA and her wedding was on Entertainment tonight.) What do you get her? anything we could buy would be a waste really. So we made a donation to the Make a Wish Foundation. They send a beautiful card honoring the occasion. I usually think a gift should be personal even if it's something small--but sometimes it's nice to do a charity if they really do need nothing !

jessi76
February 6th, 2007, 12:58 PM
I was going to suggest making a donation in her name too. I think it's a great idea.

Another thought, plant or flower of the month clubs. some are very pricey (i.e. cut flowers), but there are a few out there that are affordable, some send new seedlings each month for flower boxes. spring is just around the corner!

jesse's mommy
February 6th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Sorry, slightly :offtopic:

When my father turned 40 (long time ago) my mom threw him a surprise party and had everyone at the house (it lasted three days and they had to get new carpet in the house from it :eek: ). Anyway, someone got my dad zebra striped bikini underwear as a gift. :p

papillonmama
February 6th, 2007, 04:43 PM
an idea from food network, find a nice flower box (or make one if you are so inclined), instead of planting flowers, plant some of her favorite herbs to cook with. You can make the flowerbox special by painting it to match your friends personality.:)

heidiho
February 6th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Well my boyfriend is a great cook and he always is saying he would love a super nice cooking set,nice pots and pans you know......good knives

breeze
February 6th, 2007, 05:27 PM
what about a gift certificate to her favorte food store or store where she buys her utensils like "ares"

poodletalk
February 6th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the cooking ideas, she has the best pots and pans, knives, woks, grills everything!

She has an outdoor garden where she grows superb eggplants, tomatoes etc.

I can't give a donation in her name, it wouldn't go over well with the family :frustrated:

I asked her sister if they planned on taking a trip anytime soon,I could have arranged for everyone to chip in for the plane ticket or the hotel. They are not planning on going away this summer.

I am out of ideas....help :shrug:

Frenchy
February 6th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Is she single ? Maybe a sex shop gift certificate :p :shrug:

Byrd
February 6th, 2007, 07:50 PM
I was gonna suggest the spa gift certificate, but I see you've done that.

How about a fruit bouquet?

poodletalk
February 6th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Cute idea Bryd, but she can make that fruit basket herself. She's very talented...

She goes to the gym after work and does cardo...she doesn't need anything for the gym.

I really don't know what to get her, but I want to get her something special since it's her big 40!

Frenchy
February 6th, 2007, 08:23 PM
You don't like my idea :sad:

poodletalk
February 6th, 2007, 08:33 PM
I like your idea Frenchy ;) .......very original but it wouldn't go over well with the family! :mad:

It needs to be something reserved...

Byrd
February 6th, 2007, 08:37 PM
This is difficult, no wonder you asked for advice!

Um... does she collect anything?

What about a gas card, or vehicle maintence certificate. :shrug:

Tickets to the theatre?

poodletalk
February 6th, 2007, 08:43 PM
She doesn't drive nor does she want to learn to drive. I bought her tickets one year to see "Cirque du Soeil" she liked it but not overly thrilled.

One year, we bought her a necklace with her intial covered with diamonds. (real diamonds). I have never seen her wear it. :frustrated:

She has very simple taste, she appreciates everything you give her but she has everything.

Byrd
February 6th, 2007, 08:46 PM
OMG I was gonna say jewelry next.

:eek: This is getting harder and harder!

papillonmama
February 6th, 2007, 09:36 PM
[QUOTE=poodletalk;367799]

She has an outdoor garden where she grows superb eggplants, tomatoes etc.

[QUOTE]

I didn't mean a big garden lol, I just meant herbs, like thyme, rosemary, lemongrass, you just keep the box inside in your kitchen window and , haha emerrill, bam, you've got your fresh herbs at hand all the time.

But that's okay if you don't want to use that idea.

How about a gift basket then, you can put little things that she likes all together in a nice basket, for my mother-in-law I send little jams and marmalades, nice crackers, oranges, or whatever fruit she likes, pineapples are a symbol of hospitality, maybe some special fruits, kiwis, limes, if you have access to the really exotic, dragon fruit, star fruit, you could put some nice cheese and wine, whatever you think she would enjoy, and hey, don't forget the chocolate. ;)

Byrd
February 6th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Yeah, a homemade gift basket!!!!

If not food, what about bath stuff... bubble bath, loofah, a relaxing CD, some candles.....

technodoll
February 6th, 2007, 09:46 PM
to the girl who has everything... you can't go wrong with childhood memories. can you get ahold of an old photo of her (when she was say, 6? 10 years old?) either alone or with her friends or family, have it enlarged and framed? or a photo of a childhood pet?

how about a good board game? everyone likes monopoly, scrabble, cranium, classics like Trouble, trivial pursuit, snakes and ladders, checkers, chess... or a basket of old childhood goodies like Silly Putty, Playdough, figurines, silly candy, jacks, a skipping rope... a trip down memory lane :p