Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pet games help

falcios
February 6th, 2007, 11:46 AM
We are in the middle of a deep freeze in our city and I don't spend as much time outside with my pet as I normally would if the weather is a little bit warmer.

Is there any indoor games that I can play with my pet for mental stimulation. I play a game where I hide food for her and she tries to find it. But she gets bored with that game pretty quick.

Any ideas?

Spirit
February 6th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Teach a new trick!

Rings on a pylon pylon? Not sure if that's the correct spelling, but this is what they look like - http://www.jumpswest.com/western/Pylon.jpg). You can increase it to however many you want, use different colors, mark them by numbers and get your dog to miss ones or teach right and left... go around them, etc. Endless opportunies here.

Put your toys away, or Pick up your toys. (Occasionally I like to use a kids indoor basketball hoop too - just because lol).

Open/close doors, or turn on/off lights...

Put a name to an object, then ask dog to find and bring it...

Do some attention training...

There are lots of things you can do indoors with your dog. Just use your imagination. It rained here for 4 months straight, so we've had tons of practice. LOL

jessi76
February 6th, 2007, 12:32 PM
a little hunting game that works on some skills that i play w/ my dog all the time...

holding toy, put dog in a sit-stay.
instruct dog to "touch" toy w/ nose. (if your dog knows "touch")
have dog maintain the STAY, while you leave the room (out of sight) to hide the toy.
walk back to dog - still maintaining the stay!
give the release - OK! go find it!
watch dog sniff around house and overturn pillows to find the toy.
when he does find it, let him have it for a few minutes of fun time and as a reward for maintaining the stay.
then reinforce commands such as DROP IT or GIVE.
start again. this time, do a down-stay, or a stand-stay, etc...