Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Crate training a 2 y/o

THo's Milo
February 6th, 2007, 09:22 AM
I recently found a Shih tzu and have taken it in. The vet says he is about 2-3 years old. I am trying to crate train him as I have to work every day. I come home and spend my lunch hour with him but I can't manage to get his pooping schedule to fit my scehdule. Is 2-3 too old to try and start crate training? Any suggestions, anyone????

billyp
February 6th, 2007, 11:43 AM
no it is not...it is never to late to train any dog regardless of their age.
You will have to start very slowly by putting him in the cage and giving him a treat. Once he is inside wait 1 minute next to the crate with him and then open the cage and throw a party with your dog. :crazy:

If the dog whines let it do it, it would be much worse if you let him out since he's gonna think that whining-barking=out of crate. Remember that a dog trains us better then we train him :D

Then start doing it adding more time...5 min 30 mins etc...At night, try to have him sleep in his crate since he's gonna be sleepy it shouldn't be a problem.

If the dog has separation anxiety try the following it worked wonder for me. Crate the dog and have him see that you'Re leaving the house, put your jacket on your boots and leave the house....for 10-15 seconds. :laughing: Come back and free the dog making sure it is always a positive experience. The dog is going to understand that everytime you leave the house :
1st: You always come back and
2nd: It's fun when you come back

Then try leaving for a couple of minutes...half hour etc...it's going to work it took me about 2 days to be able to leave the house for 4 hours without problems :)

When this works you can leave your dog with a toy or a kong filled with yummy stuff inside so it keeps the dog busy.

Hmmm...I think this is it...anything else anybody? :)

Spirit
February 6th, 2007, 11:52 AM
If the dog has separation anxiety try the following it worked wonder for me. Crate the dog and have him see that you'Re leaving the house, put your jacket on your boots and leave the house....for 10-15 seconds. :laughing: Come back and free the dog making sure it is always a positive experience. The dog is going to understand that everytime you leave the house :
1st: You always come back and
2nd: It's fun when you come back

To add to this, be careful about making a big deal when you come home as this can often cause seperation anxiety. When you come back, wait until the dog is calm before greeting him to avoid making a bad situation worse. Calmly free the dog (with NO excitement - your returning home is NOT a big deal), then ignore him for a minute or two (until he's not after you for attention). Then go to him and start the party. :thumbs up

billyp
February 6th, 2007, 12:27 PM
What Spirit said

What I meant by making sure it is a positive experience was to make sure not to yell at your dog or tell him to shut up since the first few time HE WILL BE AGITATED and probably whining-crying-barking.

By ignoring him you teach him that he needs to be calm in order to get out of his crate and you are also reinforcing your role as a leader since the dog is not the TOP priority when you come back home.

Hope this helps...:fingerscr

THo's Milo
February 6th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Thanks for all your help! I am going to implement these suggestions immediately. To hear him cry, I feel like I am torturing him when I leave because I feel like he was never apart from his former owner...... until he got lost of course!