Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cat attacked me this past Sunday :(

AgnesS
February 5th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Hello everyone.
This weekend out of nowhere my cat attacked me. I was over my friend's house visiting and i stayed the night. The next morning i came back home and as usual i said Hi Kacper (my cat) and he smelled me and all of a sudden he started hissing and his tail got poofy. I ignored it because he usually did that when he didnt recognize the smell. However, he started meowing really wierd and he chased me. I got scared so i ran upstairs to my room, but he caught up to me before i could close the door and he attacked me (no biting but he scratched my arm pretty bad --through my thick coat)...i flung him off of me...and he fell on top of my bed i thought that he was done but noooo he came at me again i ran into my closet and i closed it. I sat in my closet for over and hour and he sat there waiting for me. Every time i would say his name calmly he would either hiss or meow. Every time i moved he did the same. I finally got out when my brother came back from work and he chased Kacper down into the basement and locked him in there for a while.

I dont know what came over him. This is the first time he had ever done that. I dont know if it was a smell that made him so agressive, or my voice was different because i am sick. He is soo cute, sweet. I dont know what would make him do this to me. He always comes to me, he always greets me, he always sleeps with me right next to me and now i am scared to even come and pet him. I called my vet and i am going with Kacper tomarrow and i did get my wound treated. But, there is no way i am putting him to sleep. Please help...any advice would be good-or explanation of his behavior.

I had him since he was 6 months (he was a little shy in the beginning, and scared of everything but he got use to everyone in the house hold), he has been neutered, he is 2 yrs old now.

Please help.

cpietra16
February 5th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Does your friend have a cat or dog?

H.P.
February 5th, 2007, 07:54 PM
There are probably many possible causes, good that you are taking him to the vet! It may just have been something enviromental, like you mentioned. But it might not be. Jo, my usually sweet & loving kitty cat, started having attack fits at about a year and a half old. She would attack out of the blue, there was scratching and some times biting. I thought it was a behvior issue, and we both suffered until I mentioned it at our regular vet visit. It turned out that she was having seizures. She was on medication for a while, then we tried taking her off of it, and she has been fine for several years now. She is 11 years old now, and going strong. So, that's Jo's story and all I know about cat attacks. Except that growing up, we had a cat that would wait every day to attack the mail man, just didn't like him I guess. How did Kacper ct while he was in the basement, and when you let him out? Good luck at the vets tomorrow, keep us posted!!

SOS MIOW
February 5th, 2007, 08:04 PM
You didn't mention what happened after your brother came home. Did your cat continue to want to attack you or was he back to normal?

AgnesS
February 5th, 2007, 08:15 PM
cpierta16-Yes my friend has a puppy. However, ive been over her house plenty of time before and he didnt do anything.

H.P. & Sos Miow-Well in the evening i called his name through the door a couple of times and all i could hear was hissing. When my brother let him out he was acting normal, he pet him he was purring but when i started walking torwards him he started hissing again and meowing. So i backed off... I dont know...was it because i was scared?!

When he was in the basement locked he was meowing normally because he wanted to come out...i felt soo bad locking him in the basement but thats the only thing that i could think of. Right now he is out of the basment, but now he is hidding in his favorite spot...i am trying to keep away from him so he can cool off...i hope that he will come to me to be petted instead of me forcing it upon him.

Thanks sooo much everyone...it feels so much better to get it out...

susieqt
February 5th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Maybe he was just mad at you for staying away all night......;)

AgnesS
February 5th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Maybe he was just mad at you for staying away all night......;)

Hehe...Well then it was a mean way of him to show how he felt about that. Ive stayed out plenty of times...and nuthing he would just smell me and walk away...and now all of a sudden...:evil:

sarenab
February 7th, 2007, 07:05 PM
What happened at the vet??? How is your cat acting now? Hope all is well....that's very strange, I have never had a cat act that way and I am curious to hear how you and your kitty are getting along! Good luck!

happycats
February 7th, 2007, 07:53 PM
One of my cat's "Jay" (looks very similar to the cat in your avatar) has attacked, not just myself or my husband but also any cat that is near him at the time.
What triggers him is seeing another cat outside, he gets all puffy makes very loud screaming sounds then LOOK OUT!!!
He is going to be 11 years old this year, and because we know his trigger, we slowly approach him (with pillows in hand) and gently call his name and tell him it's okay. If he goes to attack anyone we hit him with the pillows, then try to talk to him in a gentle voice again until he calms down.

The best thing is to stay calm, (I believe they feel your fear and it makes the situation worse) keep many throw pillows around the house, and try to find out what's triggering him (so you can either eliminate it, or be prepared the next time) talk in a gentle voice continously, be armed with a couple pillows (and a can of tuna, or a favorite treat helps too) until he calms.

Good luck, and please take him to the vet just to be sure it's nothing medical.