Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I can't believe what my neighbour is doing!

nikkiandfinn
February 5th, 2007, 07:06 PM
I am so angry right now, I think I need to vent, :yell: and also to see if you guys know what I can do.

The people who live accross the street from us have a dog (not sure of breed). My problem is this...every evening after 4:30 (once the dog catcher is off duty), they let the dog roam free around the street. I just put Finn out on his leash in our BACK yard so that he could pee. I came in to the living room and then heard my husband yell from the bedroom to go get Finn quickly (he was watching Finn from the window). When I ran out, the roaming dog had run accross the road, into our back yard, and had jumped on Finn, and I don't think he was playing! I drove him away and brought Finn inside imeediatly. I checked him all over and he was fine, just whining to go back outside (he thought the other dog was playing!).

I hate to see anyone lose their dog, but, is this fair? I keep my dog on a leash and he is only on our property. We have plans next year to build a fence, so it won't be an issue then, but what about in the mean time. The city won't do anything about it, because it's after their hours.:frustrated: I asked the neighbours nicely to keep their dog on a leash...they obviously didn't listen! Any ideas?? Sorry this is so long. Needed to vent!

Nikki

Frenchy
February 5th, 2007, 07:20 PM
That sucks ! I really don't know what you can do, maybe take a picture next time he's on your yard and then make a complaint ? Animal control could send your neighbors a warning of something ?

BoxerMom
February 5th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Call animal control...They *should* be able to help.

TKW
February 5th, 2007, 07:45 PM
I'd would make a formal complaint to the city in writing. They have the responsibilty to enforce the leash by-law 24/7, not just 9-5. If I don't get action from your city, I'll try give the mayor a personal phone call. Another alternative is to call SPCA to report a stray the next time their dog run loose.
JMHO

technodoll
February 5th, 2007, 08:11 PM
he he... if you lived closer i'd lend you dakotah for an evening... that dog would never come back on your property again i guarantee you :evil:

all kidding aside, man that just sucks. what are your rights re: trespassing? can you grab the dog and bring it to the spca, so the owners have to pay a fine to get him back? assuming it's a no-kill shelter of course! some people have to learn the hard way... :yell:

jenn42099
February 5th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Our neighbor used to leave her 3 little yippy dogs in her back yard for what seemed like forever. They would bark non-stop at NOTHING!!! I felt bad for the dogs because they were obviously :frustrated:, but my dogs hardly bark at all. So I decided to send her a letter in the mail letting her know how extremely annoying it was. We do have a noise ordinance in our city, so I did threaten to call the police if it continued. I addressed it to Resident and did not let her know who it was from. They are not out for more than 10-15 min now and she brings them in when they bark.

I would just let them know how I felt. Everyone else in the neighborhood follows the laws, they should have to too! :shrug:

LavenderRott
February 5th, 2007, 08:53 PM
You need to report this to the police, animal control and anyone else that might have an interest in it and you need to do it immediately!!

What if this dog goes after a child??

If you send a letter to your neighbor, you need to send it registered mail and you also need to send a copy to local law enforcement.

4thedogs
February 5th, 2007, 09:17 PM
I would call the police or if you have a city # for all bylaws you can call that. Express your concern and that you don't know what to do since it is outside of the 9-5 hrs. They should do something or the very least direct you to someone who can do something.
What happens if the dog were to attack someone, can it only happen during open hours to do something about it, doesn't mke sense.

meb999
February 6th, 2007, 06:11 AM
I would definetly call the police and make a complaint. Don't feel about it, you're doing the dog a favor....what if he runs across the street when a car is coming? For your protection, your dog's protection and THIS dog's protection, call the cops.

Keep us posted!

JennieV
February 6th, 2007, 02:08 PM
I would say theres a few options, that depends on if you want them to know it was you...
- you could send them a registered letter, explaining your concern and telling them that the next time you will notify the authorities...but I am not sure if you can do it anonimously, and keep a copy for yourself too, just in case.
- you could contact the authorities directly, notifying them of this issue, because as someone already mentioned it could be a child next time...Or the dog could get hurt....
- you could call the SPCA the next time the dog is loose, but then you would have to live with the fact that they picked him up and what is going to happen to him...:frustrated:

The thing is, maybe thats what these people want - someone else to do something and rid them of their problem..?:mad: :shrug:
I hope this is going to be resolved somehow without anyone getting hurt...:pray: