Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Adding instant rice to food.

sissani
February 5th, 2007, 12:59 AM
It was suggested to me to add some instant rice to my dogs food because he is so thin (been checked out, no medical reason for his low weight) and also to help firm up his stool (he often has soft poop/diarrhea).

I was wondering what some opinions of this are, and if anyone out there adds rice to their dogs food and if it helped with weight gain, or really any kind of thoughts on this.

TeriM
February 5th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Instant rice has pretty minimal nutritional value. I would prefer to add oatmeal or brown rice. If you are trying to add on some weight then also consider adding some things like eggs, canned fish, yogurt, cottage cheese etc. as these are generally well digested and the dogs love them. I also use salmon oil which adds some calories and is awesome for the skin and coat.

technodoll
February 5th, 2007, 08:19 AM
rice (and any grains for that matter) won't do a thing to add weight on a skinny carnivore. dogs need protein/calories/fat from meat, and alot of it. so add cooked or raw meat to your boy's kibble, not rice... grains are just fillers, empty carbs. :pawprint:

meb999
February 5th, 2007, 08:38 AM
I agree, if you want to put weight on your boy, you'd be better off adding an egg to his meal, or some meat. How old is your boy? You gotta also remember that young dogs are naturally skinny....kinda like teenage humans ;) .

Here's a great treat that can help put weight on your boy :
from http://www.njboxers.com/satin-balls-recipe.htm

10 pounds hamburger meat [the cheapest kind]
1 lg. box of Total cereal
1 lg. box oatmeal
1 jar of wheat germ
1 1/4 cup veg oil
1 1/4 cup of unsulfured molasses
10 raw eggs AND shells
10 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
pinch of salt

Mix all ingredients together, much like you would a meatloaf.

Divide into 10 quart freezer bags and freeze.

Thaw as needed and feed raw!

I don't put any wheat germs, and I only put 1/2 a box of oatmeal...I roll them into little balls and feed as treats!

billyp
February 5th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Try to feed him a marrow bone (soup bone) once a week I did that for my boxer when i rescued him he was very skinny to the point where you could see his spine now he's all filled up and is very healthy. Also when the marrow is all out you can take the remaining bone and fill it with peanut butter...freeze it and give it to the dog when you leave home...make sure to start with small quantities of PB so you're certain your dog is not intolerant to it.
Dogs barely digest rice or any grain for thatmatter therefore your dogs just gonne feel like it's eaten a lot and won't be eating enough good food (premium quality kibble or raw meat) making him perhaps even more skinny.
And btw i don't think you could give your dog anything better then meb's recipe i think i'm gonna try that myself!

meb999
February 5th, 2007, 10:47 AM
And btw i don't think you could give your dog anything better then meb's recipe i think i'm gonna try that myself!

hehehe, your boy'll be in boxer heaven :D

mummummum
February 5th, 2007, 11:08 AM
I agree with the others, instant rice is a filler. Your dog would put weight on with "good" protein such as meat. Dogs don't need alot of carbs.

vfrohloff
February 5th, 2007, 11:20 AM
I agree as well. I only give my dogs rice if they've gotten into something that gives them the splats. It does help with that, but I doubt if it will put weight on your dog. What kind of food are you feeding him now?

rainbow
February 5th, 2007, 07:36 PM
I agree with the others. He needs extra protein/fat not carbs. For the soft stools add a little bit of canned raw pumpkin (not the pie filling) to his kibble.

rainbow
February 5th, 2007, 07:46 PM
BTW, what brand of kibble are you feeding? Maybe it doesn't have enough Kcal per cup for him. :shrug:

sissani
February 5th, 2007, 10:47 PM
I agree, if you want to put weight on your boy, you'd be better off adding an egg to his meal, or some meat. How old is your boy? You gotta also remember that young dogs are naturally skinny....kinda like teenage humans ;) .

Here's a great treat that can help put weight on your boy :
from http://www.njboxers.com/satin-balls-recipe.htm

10 pounds hamburger meat [the cheapest kind]
1 lg. box of Total cereal
1 lg. box oatmeal
1 jar of wheat germ
1 1/4 cup veg oil
1 1/4 cup of unsulfured molasses
10 raw eggs AND shells
10 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
pinch of salt

Mix all ingredients together, much like you would a meatloaf.

Divide into 10 quart freezer bags and freeze.

Thaw as needed and feed raw!

I don't put any wheat germs, and I only put 1/2 a box of oatmeal...I roll them into little balls and feed as treats!

Never thought of adding eggs, thats a great idea! He's almost two years old now. And that treat sounds great!! I'm taking down the recipe and going to make it sometime!!

sissani
February 5th, 2007, 10:52 PM
BTW, what brand of kibble are you feeding? Maybe it doesn't have enough Kcal per cup for him. :shrug:

I had him on Purina One Lamb and Rice, but because of the diarrhea I had to put him on EN (I got to swipe some free from the kennel I work at). And thats where we are now until I go to the vet and force them to do more tests to find out whats up with him.

billyp
February 6th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Try to choose a premium kibble if you'Re not gonna feed RAW. CANIDAE has a high quality food with lamb which contains less grain then other comercial food thus making it a lot easier to digest for you dog. If you follow the guideline you should see some improvement very soon.
What works wonder for my dogs when they have diarrea is a tbsp of natural yogurt in the morning with their first meal..you might want to try that.
Feeding purina is like giving a child mcdonalds every single day/meal, sure the dog eats but it eats junk.
Good luck I know diarrea is a pain but you should be able to fix it with all the above info...if it doesn't stop, have your dog checked by another vet.

vfrohloff
February 6th, 2007, 08:05 AM
One of my dogs has a very sensitive system and he's doing great on Canidae Lamb and Rice. Purina One isn't a good food for any dog, let alone one that's got tummy issues. What is EN? If it's similar to Purina then food change to something holistic may be all your doggie needs.

rainbow
February 6th, 2007, 05:09 PM
I agree. Purina One is not a good kibble. None of the brands you can buy at the supermarket or stores like Walmart are good choices. You need to go to a local pet/feed store and buy a premium brand.

As mentioned, Canidae is a good choice and costs less than most of the other good brands. It is not available in my area so I am feeding Innova. I think if you start feeding your dog a premium kibble (make sure you switch over gradually) you will notice a big difference. Add a little raw pumpkin if his stools are loose.

billyp
February 6th, 2007, 06:50 PM
rainbow are you sure canidae is not available in your area?
check on the canidae website there is a whole bunch of store in BC that carry their product.
I like mixing Innova Evo RM with Canidae lamb 50%-50% my dogs energy is through the roof stools are firm and coat is very shiny!!

rainbow
February 6th, 2007, 08:09 PM
I live just outside of Castlegar. The distibutor delivers to the Okanagan and if the pet store here wants it they have to pay for the shipping from there to here and they say it is not worth the extra expense. I'm feeding Innova which isn't that much more (55.99 for the big bag) and so far everything is great.