Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Muttluks

Mocha's mum
February 4th, 2007, 09:12 PM
A little background story:

I've been having a hard time finding a boot that Mocha will tolerate on his foot. So, lately, I've been using (and don't laugh too hard) baby socks with pieces of velcro around the ankle to keep them on his foot. And it's pretty much all he'll tolerate on his feet. Well, I'm finding that these aren't working too well, especially when it's starting to melt or we have a really wet snow.

So, I've been looking around on e-bay for something to do (damn X Box 360!), and I came across Muttluks. Now, are these kind of stiff? They sound cool, and nice for puppy to wear, but do they have that neoprene outer, like little kids' mitts? I also found a lady in Manitoba that will custom make booties from leather and fleece and stretchy cord knit material.

I like the fact that the Muttluks have the reflective doo hinkies on them, but if they're in the least bit stiff (unlike a sock), Mocha won't wear them. He'll just sit on the floor and look at me :laughing: So, rather than spend my money on something Mocha won't wear, I thought I'd ask if anyone had any experience with these booties....

Prin
February 4th, 2007, 09:16 PM
They are a little stiff, but they're shaped to fit a doggy foot...

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/Jemma%20and%20Boo%20Jan%20Feb%202007/IMG_4254.jpg

I decided that the "fleece-lined" muttluks are better than the "all weather" muttluks. Jemma has the "all weather" ones and the socks just fill with snow. Boo's don't. But the all weather ones are thinner, so might be more flexible...
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/Jemma%20and%20Boo%20Jan%20Feb%202007/IMG_4241.jpg

meb999
February 4th, 2007, 09:26 PM
the fleecy muttlucks don't fill with snow?? That's the only complaint I have about my muttlucks (all season's)...

They're very robust. We had a pair of cheaper booties the first winter we had Buster and they lasted about a mont, and now we've had these muttlucks for 2 winters and they'Re still good :thumbs up I love them! They fit well and they dn't slip off (like some of the cheaper boots do)

pitgrrl
February 4th, 2007, 09:30 PM
I would say they're about as stiff as thick winter gloves, like the nylon fleece lined kind. The only complaint I have about them is that the velcro is right at dewclaw level, which really bothers one of my dogs, but otherwise they're great boots.

If your not sure though, you could always go get some at a local store, try them on the dog at home, then return them if they're not working out or you can get them way cheaper on ebay.

Winston
February 4th, 2007, 09:34 PM
I have been looking too! I just cannot seem to find them in a large size! My boy is 110 lbs and he has feet that look like they are a size 8! in human sizes! I actually tried to make my own ! but that didnt work out so well!

Cindy

P.S They look great on Jemma and Boo!

Prin
February 4th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Meb, the fleece lined ones have longer socks on them. See: http://www.muttluks.com/our_products/product_02.php

Rottielover
February 4th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Harley has a pair too, they are great....

Prin
February 4th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Yeah, you can see the sock length better on that pic of Harley.:thumbs up

Dad of Dog's
February 4th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Of all the boots on the market the Muttluks are the best. If fitted properly they don't fall off and don't easily wear out. They should last several years. They are one of the most expensive but are well worth it.

The first time a dog wears them they will either walk very funny or won't move. Put them on just before you go out the door.

joeysmama
February 4th, 2007, 11:23 PM
I bought the imitations last year and they were a bear to put on. Is the real thing easier to use? It got to be too much of a hassle and we ended up not bothering. But I'd really rather have his feet covered.

Prin
February 4th, 2007, 11:30 PM
No, they're not the easiest to put on until you get the hang of it.. I learned to put my thumb on the doggy's thumby and then I pull the boot on with the other hand...

Boo's nails poked through the imitations the first day. :frustrated:

OntarioGreys
February 5th, 2007, 11:18 AM
If you are looking for something lightweight without bulk these may do, I would probably get maybe pick the spandura with the velstretch fastner, to help stay on better
http://dogbooties.com/boprin.html

Mocha's mum
February 5th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Hey guys! Thanks for the info. Well, I bought both pairs (the Muttluks and the homemade ones from Manitoba) on e-bay :o I figure that way I'm covered either way. And I know enough people out there with small dogs that I can give a pair to if Mocha doesn't like them. Just don't tell hubby!!! :laughing: :laughing:

Darn e-bay!! Just have to find myself a putter now :D

Prin
February 5th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Let us know how it goes.:) (we'll need pics :D)

4thedogs
February 5th, 2007, 10:24 PM
The muttluks pull on like socks. Just be sure not to catch their dew claw if they have them. Once they are pulled on spread their toes and pull up a little more. Some dogs curl up their toes. Once they are on wrap the velcro snug. It should fit just above the large pad/ankle area where their foot bends. It can fit quite tight because it does up in a moving part so it won't cut circulation.

takewithfood
February 6th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Wow, great answers everyone. I came here to ask the same sort of question, but more concerned with fitting. My dog is a toy Manchester Terrier, and she weighs only about 8 pounds. Her feet are tiny and very slender, and in the few years I've had her I've yet to find a boot that will stay on her feet. She doesn't try to take them off and she always does herbest to walk around in them, but they always, always fall off after only a few steps.

I tried the muttluks but I couldn't find any that fit her properly. I tried several sizes, and they were either too big and would fall right off no matter what I did, or the foot part was the right size but the velcro fastened over her dew claw, which she did NOT care for.

Does anyone have any advice?

~takewithfood

Prin
February 6th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Sorry, I don't... I just fasten it on the dewclaw and check it if my doggies are looking awkward or uncomfortable. :o

Rainy
February 6th, 2007, 08:41 PM
My Deco will also just stand there (in the house)but after he gets outside he walks and runs.I love listening to him trot!:thumbs up