jiorji
February 4th, 2007, 07:34 PM
HAHAHA look at that cat. Even she's in shock.:eek:

Byrd
February 4th, 2007, 07:40 PM
WTF :eek:

Frenchy
kijiji , yep , good going. :frustrated: they really shouldn't allow people to post animals for sale.

LL1
Anything for a buck. :mad:

erykah1310
February 4th, 2007, 07:50 PM
there is actually a website that claims to be a breeder..... :frustrated: :mad: I swear this designer dog phase will never end.:yell:

~michelle~
February 4th, 2007, 07:50 PM
i cant get the link, but i have a really funny/ridiculous picture in my head

coppperbelle
February 4th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Say it ain't so!:yell:

dustybird
February 4th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Yes pleasssse stop the insanity. Here's a link I just found

erykah1310
February 4th, 2007, 08:21 PM
There is actually a Hybrid Club with online litter registrations... I mean seriously these BYB are really taking this seriously. :rolleyes:

erykah1310
February 4th, 2007, 08:35 PM
I just joined this "club" :eek:

These are the "registered hybrids"

Poodle-Saint Bernard Saint Berdoodle
Cocker Spaniel-Shiba Inu Shocker
Chihuahua-Dachshund Chiweenie
Bulldog-Treeing Walker English Bull-Walker
Bichon Frise-Pomeranian Bichon-A-Ranian
Bernese Mountain Dog-Border Collie Bordernese
Beagle-Boxer Bogle
American Bull Dog-Boxer Bulloxer
Afghan Hound-Rottweiler Rottaf
Alaskan Malamute-Timber Wolf Wolamute not registered with ACHC (Wolamute Club of America)

I wonder why a "wolamute" isnt "registered"..... people are just plain sick... they need some serious help.. and definately shouldnt be allowed to breed ( themselves i mean)

technodoll
February 4th, 2007, 08:46 PM
my favorite hybrid.... don't need to walk it :D

http://www.photoshopsupport.com/photoshop-blog/05/05/26-humandescent-dog.jpg

Prin
February 4th, 2007, 08:59 PM
I'm still waiting for the "poodledoodle" to come out. You know, a poodle mixed with another poodle. :eek:

technodoll
February 4th, 2007, 09:07 PM
I'm still waiting for the "poodledoodle" to come out. You know, a poodle mixed with another poodle.

ROTFLMAO!!

jiorji
February 4th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Yes pleasssse stop the insanity. Here's a link I just found

i think the mods removed the link fo a reason :o

jiorji
February 4th, 2007, 10:25 PM
i think the mods removed the link fo a reason :o

umm oops my comment was redundant ...i was referring to not reposting a link because it's slander....but they removed it as i was posting...never mind :o
carry on :)

Prin
February 4th, 2007, 10:28 PM
lol and jiorji looks like a mod again! :D

I'm sure people get the idea anyway, without posting links... We've seen them all before... over and over and over....:sad:

Frenchy
February 5th, 2007, 11:47 AM
I'm still waiting for the "poodledoodle" to come out. You know, a poodle mixed with another poodle. :eek:

Will they be twice "hypoallogene" ? :D (exsqueeze the spelling :p )

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
February 5th, 2007, 02:04 PM
It's getting beyond ridiculous how people think they have to bring more mutts into the world :mad: There's poodle and Rottweiler mixes in shelters everywhere.

I'm still waiting for the "poodledoodle" to come out. You know, a poodle mixed with another poodle. :EEK!:
I know, that'll be scary, eh? ;)

Prin
February 5th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Will they be twice "hypoallogene" ? :D (exsqueeze the spelling :p )

For sure! And twice the price! :D

Melei'sMom
February 11th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Well as I am one of those people with to much curiosity...I did a google search to see the pups.
Well I found them, but I also found something more disturbing...

This was on a site that I have removed the name of so there is no slander/advertising issues (bowing to mods...)

What Doodle Would You Do if You Could Do a Doodle?

During the month of August, ******** is conducting its first Create-a-Doodle Contest.

You know Labradoodle, Goldendoodle and Schnoodle. What should the next "doodle" dog be? A Rottiedoodle? Maybe a Wienerdoodle? You name it. You Draw it.

Return your creation to ******** for your chance to win a ******** gift certificate.

Contest runs for the entire month of August. Judging will take place the first week of September with ******** store customers helping to determine the winner(s). Winner(s) will be announced in mid-September.

Stop by the store for all contest details.

all I can say is OMG!! :eek: :mad:

It never ends!!!!

tully
February 13th, 2007, 06:38 AM
:dog: I have a golden doodle and I love him. He is strong and healthy and doesn't have the genetic baggage a lot of over bred dogs do such as the Lab. I also have a Lab, English, who I adore, but Tully, the doodle, definatly has a stronger constitution. I hate to be the voice of dissent here but it is ok to create a new breed. How do you think all the breeds we have came into being? I am not sure if it would be a good idea to create a Rottie doodle but I do love the goldendoodle. I think you find more Labdoodles in rescue due to the Lab in them. A lot of people can't handle Labs, and don't know how much work they can be the first couple of years. There are plenty of all breeds and mutts in rescue not just doodles so lets not start using that as are reasoning chip!:pawprint:

Melinda
February 13th, 2007, 06:56 AM
ok, I have to jump in here, my last two dogs have been labs, labX, there is no easier dog to handle, I've owned a purebred beagle and chi, talk about hard to handle dogs, and our poodle....we won't even go there!! To say labs are hard to handle??? wow...I don't know where that one came from, in class we have a goldendoodle, NO one can handle her, she has a mind of her own, a more hyper dog I've yet to see. Yes I believe in "creating" breeds, and know many have been discovered that way...but things have gone a bit far, check the shelters....see the results of "golden doodles" and the reasons they were surrendered.....

erykah1310
February 13th, 2007, 08:03 AM
K one of my pet peeves to the argument on doodles is that all dogs were mixed to create new breeds... Sure its true... BUT.
These breeders were mixing to create something that was needed,and not available... and not tapping stupid names on the breeds. Rottie doodles, labradoodles, golden doodles, cockapoos and SO ON... are 2 purebreds bred together to create a mix breed and a catchy silly name added to call it a "purebred" and it rakes in the cash for the "breeder"
To ME it shows that they arent really striving for perfection, but rather sending out false information and hoping that their dogs dont shed as they so wildly claim....Obviously these "doodles" are not "true" to their own "standard" as there are still ALOT who shed, and irritate allergies.:shrug:
:frustrated:

i_have_too_many
February 13th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Wow, just when you think you've heard it all, but we haven't. I remember not long ago when that would have been called a mutt and you would not have been able to give it away! I was on a website a while ago, cant even remember what it was, looking for breeders in the US. They actually had Goldendoodles and Labradoodles listed as breeds, I could not believe it. They might as well had had a section titled "Any one else who wants to breed dogs but cant be bothered with a purbred". I breed dogs, and believe me, for all the work involved with the puppies for 8 weeks I dont think I could do it if they were not purebred. Now I am able to watch my puppies perform and be rated for the work they were bred to do.

Dont get me wrong, I am not bashing the mixed dogs, all my life we had a mix, and the first dog my husband and I had was a mix, a "Siberian Malimute" or "Alaskian Husky". They actually breed these on purpose up north for sledding, they are supposed to have the power of the malamute, and endurance of the husky. I just think it is crazy for people to label them as a new breed and ask rediculous money for them. When the Labradoodles first came out they were for no less than $1200 around here, now they have dropped to about $600. You could get a very nice purebred Poodle for less than $1200, and it would have all the qualities of the poodle that people hope they get in a mix. I have heard some very bad stories about mixes with bad temperments, and those who claim that purbreds are more prone to illness just are not getting the dog from someone who knows what they are doing. Most of those with health problems come from people who are doing it only for the money (I have a friend who is like this, we are trying to change him, but I remember my Grade 12 Physics teacher saying something about cells resisting change). I once read somewhere that you will know a good breeder because they are not making any money on their dogs. They do it simply because they love it, and spend almost as much money on vet bills to make sure the pups will be healthy as they get from selling them.

:sorry: for my ranting, but this is a topic that gets under my skin. Those BYB give us good breeders a bad name because people would rather pay less for a "mediocre" dog, than spend the money now on a pup you will not have to put money into later. I can only justify getting a mix if the parents are healthy, and that means proof that they have been checked for genetic problems, not just had their shots.

4thedogs
February 13th, 2007, 02:38 PM
These doodles are NOT a breed nor will become a breed as long as the ones being bred are of two different breeds.

I recently heard of a new one, great dane and poodle. "great doodle"

coppperbelle
February 13th, 2007, 08:56 PM
:dog: I have a golden doodle and I love him. He is strong and healthy and doesn't have the genetic baggage a lot of over bred dogs do such as the Lab. I also have a Lab, English, who I adore, but Tully, the doodle, definatly has a stronger constitution. I hate to be the voice of dissent here but it is ok to create a new breed. How do you think all the breeds we have came into being? I am not sure if it would be a good idea to create a Rottie doodle but I do love the goldendoodle. I think you find more Labdoodles in rescue due to the Lab in them. A lot of people can't handle Labs, and don't know how much work they can be the first couple of years. There are plenty of all breeds and mutts in rescue not just doodles so lets not start using that as are reasoning chip!:pawprint:

A goldendoodle is nothing more than a mixed breed or mutt yet I am certain you paid a great deal of money for it. I have seen some back yard breeders selling them for as much as $1600.00. What would justify such a price? It is a mixed breed and has no champion titles behind it. Goldendoodles and all the other doodles are not bred by reputable breeders but rather back yard ones or worse still puppy mills. If you don't believe us do some research and find out who is breeding these new breeds of dogs. It is not breeders looking to better the breed but those who are looking for nothing more than a profit.

Prin
February 13th, 2007, 09:04 PM
:dog: I have a golden doodle and I love him. He is strong and healthy and doesn't have the genetic baggage a lot of over bred dogs do such as the Lab. I also have a Lab, English, who I adore, but Tully, the doodle, definatly has a stronger constitution. How do you know? How old is your dog? A lot of the major genetic issues only become apparent later on in life.

A lot of people can't handle Labs, and don't know how much work they can be the first couple of years. And, what does that have to do with creating doodles? A lot of people who can't handle labs can handle goldens, so why not just leave it at that? For every need there is ALREADY a breed.

There are plenty of all breeds and mutts in rescue not just doodles so lets not start using that as are reasoning chip!And? Who here is saying we should be breeding mutts at all? Reputable breeders don't breed mutts and reputable breeders don't let their dogs end up in rescue.

How many followups has your breeder made? :confused:

i_have_too_many
February 13th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Hey, just a thought.

Isnt a "doodle" something you do with a pen and pad of paper while talking on the phone or sitting in on some boring lecture?:rolleyes:

And to answer your comments about mentors. Yes we have a "breeder mentor" for each breed, for the one it is a breeder whom we have bought dogs from before, and the other is the breeder who owns the stud we used, they have bred the #1 show Vizsla in Canada and all of their dogs have both show and field titles on them. Unfortunately I have not been in much contact with our girl's breeder, they stopped breeding shortly after and are VERY difficult to contact, they seem to have lost interest in dogs, but had done it for a long time. The Vizsla community is very close, breeders helping breeders, letting potential buyers know who will have pups soon, and "pre-screening" those buyers we pass on, if someone is unsuitable, I am not just going to send them to someone else to deal with. Since we have only just started I have not had the opportunity to "check up" on all our puppies, they left only 2 months ago, however some of my buyers I have talked to, (makes it easy when one of them is my vet). I would like to keep in contact with all my puppy buyers, and will try to. I am here to provide help when needed, or to just talk about the dog, and it says it in the contract they sign, so they know it too.:)

Tash83
April 9th, 2008, 10:13 PM
A goldendoodle is nothing more than a mixed breed or mutt yet I am certain you paid a great deal of money for it. I have seen some back yard breeders selling them for as much as $1600.00. What would justify such a price? It is a mixed breed and has no champion titles behind it. Goldendoodles and all the other doodles are not bred by reputable breeders but rather back yard ones or worse still puppy mills. If you don't believe us do some research and find out who is breeding these new breeds of dogs. It is not breeders looking to better the breed but those who are looking for nothing more than a profit.

I thought I was joining a forum for dog lovers but the more I read the more it seems I joined a forum for lovers of a select few types of dogs. I have a goldendoodle and he is wonderful. What matter is it what I paid for him. He is a healthy, good natured dog. Not everyone is after a show dog. I understand what everyone is saying about backyard breeders but it certainly cant be said that every breeder that breeds goldendoodles(or other mixed breeds) are just money chasers. Alot of them definitley are, but thats where responsibility of choosing a good breeder comes in. Isnt that a shared resposibility of someone looking for a purebred lab or golden? What about the rumors of purebreds being unhealthy due to inbreeding? While I know its the case with some irreputable breeders resorting to this I would never assume it of all breeders that deal with purebreds. Likewise the same cannot be assumed for all breeders of "mutts".

LavenderRott
April 9th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Again. You are missing the point.

Honestly, we don't care what anyone paid for their dog. And we really don't care whether it is a purebred or a mutt. And very, very few people here have showdogs. And even fewer breed.

The point is this - there is no such thing as an ethical breeder of mutts - no matter what pretty name you give to said mutt. It is extremely rare that any genetic testing is done to assure the puppy buyer that their pup will continue to enjoy the good health that it has when you take it home. And anyone who charges $900 for a designer breed has made one heck of a lot of money off that litter of puppies.

Please, do a search on the forum for "ethical breeders". A large majority of us agree with the definition that is posted in many places.

This forum is full of animal lovers who not only adore all dogs, but spent a lot of time, heartache and money doing rescue work. It truly breaks our hearts to see people charging a ridiculous amount of money for a designer breed, when those same mixes are dying in shelters. Our goal is to educate. Please, stick around. Read with an open mind and be willing to learn.

clm
April 10th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Again. You are missing the point.

Honestly, we don't care what anyone paid for their dog. And we really don't care whether it is a purebred or a mutt. And very, very few people here have showdogs. And even fewer breed.

The point is this - there is no such thing as an ethical breeder of mutts - no matter what pretty name you give to said mutt. It is extremely rare that any genetic testing is done to assure the puppy buyer that their pup will continue to enjoy the good health that it has when you take it home. And anyone who charges $900 for a designer breed has made one heck of a lot of money off that litter of puppies.

Please, do a search on the forum for "ethical breeders". A large majority of us agree with the definition that is posted in many places.

This forum is full of animal lovers who not only adore all dogs, but spent a lot of time, heartache and money doing rescue work. It truly breaks our hearts to see people charging a ridiculous amount of money for a designer breed, when those same mixes are dying in shelters. Our goal is to educate. Please, stick around. Read with an open mind and be willing to learn.

Excellent Response LavenderRott. :thumbs up

Cindy

want4rain
April 10th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Ramen LR!!! very well put!

Melinda
April 10th, 2008, 12:56 PM
you answered your own question...."a good breeder"....exactly, a "good" breeder what not have bred the two in the first place

toolady
September 8th, 2008, 01:18 PM
My husband and I have Bred and Showed Newfies, Great Danes, English Mastiffs and Golden Retrievers. I have had a beautiful Roman Rottweiler and currently have a gorgeous Neapolitan Mastiff...and a LABRADOODLE puppy.

Now why would a person that has bred and showed champion dogs and has done extensive genetic research, before breeding any of our animals (Oh yes, we also bred and showed champion Arabian horses and Beefmaster cattle) buy a LABRODOODLE?? Because the Labradoodle, properly researched and bred, combines the best of the two breeds into a great companion dog for people with allergies.

NO, Labradoodles are not "ALLERGY FREE", but they do shed less than the Lab. Poodles don't shed, but through so many years of breeding for the show ring, have now developed a tendency towards being a little sketchy in the temperament department.

Most of the "pure" breeds that have less dander, are smaller breeds, not suitable for work as a working "companion" dog. The Labradoodle was specifically bred, in Australia, as an alternative for allergy-prone wheelchair-bound or blind people that needed the help of a "companion dog". Since they were easily trained and are VERY cuddly, many people that could not have a Lab, as a pet, opted for the "Doodle".

It is unfortunate that, just about any time that a dog type or breed becomes popular, ignorant people start breeding them to make a fast buck. This is not just true of "Designer Dogs". Goldens, Collies, Dalmations and many other "Pure" Breeds have been ruined by overbreeding by idiots!

The Newfoundland breed was almost ruined by a money hungry person that bred their "Champion" Male over 1,000 times and the darned male had congenital heart disease!

I have seen Rottie and Staffordshire Terrier people insert "neuticles" into scrotums, so their male is not disqualified from show due to an undescended testicle. People that have paid unethical vets to have X-rays changed on Great Dane and English Mastiff studs that have HD, so they can continue to breed the dog.

The Australian Labradoodle has been around, in it's present form, for about 25 years. I would consider it a type, rather that a breed. However, that said, if it is continuously bred multigen to multigen, it will become a breed someday. The problem is that there are no standards or guidelines. Whether you breed a Lab and a Poodle together or two Doodles that have been bred doodle to doodle for 15 generations, they are still called "Labradoodles".

Let us "Doodle Lovers' love our dogs without having to contend with attacks from the AKC Gestapo. Yes, they are mutts! but they are useful, intelligent mutts with great personalities and big hearts. There just has to be a standard set down for what will constitute a "Breed".

BTW, I do dog rescue and am the director of a Parrot rescue sanctuary, so I am a big proponent of "adopt, don't buy". We at the Doodle chats work long and hard to get these dogs adopted.

BenMax
September 8th, 2008, 02:32 PM
my favorite hybrid.... don't need to walk it :D

http://www.photoshopsupport.com/photoshop-blog/05/05/26-humandescent-dog.jpg

Now that is priceless.

Rottiedoodle? Well that has got to be the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. Come on....you are kidding..right?

BenMax
September 8th, 2008, 02:42 PM
BTW, I do dog rescue and am the director of a Parrot rescue sanctuary, so I am a big proponent of "adopt, don't buy". We at the Doodle chats work long and hard to get these dogs adopted.

Not to add fuel to the fire, but there is an obvious need for rescues for these combo breeds. I as well am in rescue and there have been several golden doodles that required our 'services'. Not to mention that they are winding up in shelters. Interestingly enough, some have behavioural problems.

I say let poodles be poodles and goldens be goldens. Leave the breeding up to the CKC and AKC. The demand for these dogs have resulted in many BYB that are flooding these dogs into the system.

erykah1310
September 8th, 2008, 04:26 PM
this thread is horrendously old btw...

kandy
September 8th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Leave the breeding up to the CKC and AKC

IMO, the AKC and the CKC (Canadian Kennel Club, not Contintental) are part of the problem of many breeders continually producing unhealthy dogs.

I did some research into the pedigree clubs to check for rules on genetic testing or proof of ANY testing being required to register litters. Guess what? Each club that I read the by-laws and requirements for 'breeder' membership had not one iota of concern for the HEALTH of a dog. The only concern they have is if the dog asthetically meets the 'standard' - and that's only if you are showing them. Because of this lack of concern for health, you could have a national champion with serious, serious health problems and it's pups would still be eligible for registration with any of those clubs. It is common place for breeders to line breed and in-breed to retain those all important looks - and at the same time they are intensifying the likelihood of producing ill puppies.

Take newfs for instance, they are more at risk for ACL injuries than other breeds (by about 50%) but if that newf is from a line that has been line bred or in-bred, their chances of having an ACL injury go up by another 50%. So the breeder is not passing along only looks, they are passing along the health issues - again and again until you have animals that are almost certain to be sick. :shrug:

IMO - until the AKC, CKC, UKC and clubs like them start REQUIRING health/genetic testing, we will continue to see more and more unhealthy pure-bred pups. The byb's don't genetic test because it's too expensive and cuts into their profit margin - the other breeders have their hands tied because they want all their pups to be "show quality" and to introduce new blood lines can jeopordize that, especially with the more rare breeds. The lower the number of acceptable dams/sires, the more the dogs will be in-bred. I have people all the time tell me 'well my dog is registered' - well woopie, so are two of mine - doesn't mean they are healthy. :frustrated:

kandy
September 8th, 2008, 04:33 PM
this thread is horrendously old btw...

LOL - I saw it was very old but since it's been revived, I just wanted to get my :2cents: in there. :D

LavenderRott
September 8th, 2008, 05:13 PM
My husband and I have Bred and Showed Newfies, Great Danes, English Mastiffs and Golden Retrievers. I have had a beautiful Roman Rottweiler and currently have a gorgeous Neapolitan Mastiff...and a LABRADOODLE puppy.

Now why would a person that has bred and showed champion dogs and has done extensive genetic research, before breeding any of our animals (Oh yes, we also bred and showed champion Arabian horses and Beefmaster cattle) buy a LABRODOODLE?? Because the Labradoodle, properly researched and bred, combines the best of the two breeds into a great companion dog for people with allergies.

NO, Labradoodles are not "ALLERGY FREE", but they do shed less than the Lab. Poodles don't shed, but through so many years of breeding for the show ring, have now developed a tendency towards being a little sketchy in the temperament department.

Most of the "pure" breeds that have less dander, are smaller breeds, not suitable for work as a working "companion" dog. The Labradoodle was specifically bred, in Australia, as an alternative for allergy-prone wheelchair-bound or blind people that needed the help of a "companion dog". Since they were easily trained and are VERY cuddly, many people that could not have a Lab, as a pet, opted for the "Doodle".

It is unfortunate that, just about any time that a dog type or breed becomes popular, ignorant people start breeding them to make a fast buck. This is not just true of "Designer Dogs". Goldens, Collies, Dalmations and many other "Pure" Breeds have been ruined by overbreeding by idiots!

The Newfoundland breed was almost ruined by a money hungry person that bred their "Champion" Male over 1,000 times and the darned male had congenital heart disease!

I have seen Rottie and Staffordshire Terrier people insert "neuticles" into scrotums, so their male is not disqualified from show due to an undescended testicle. People that have paid unethical vets to have X-rays changed on Great Dane and English Mastiff studs that have HD, so they can continue to breed the dog.

The Australian Labradoodle has been around, in it's present form, for about 25 years. I would consider it a type, rather that a breed. However, that said, if it is continuously bred multigen to multigen, it will become a breed someday. The problem is that there are no standards or guidelines. Whether you breed a Lab and a Poodle together or two Doodles that have been bred doodle to doodle for 15 generations, they are still called "Labradoodles".

Let us "Doodle Lovers' love our dogs without having to contend with attacks from the AKC Gestapo. Yes, they are mutts! but they are useful, intelligent mutts with great personalities and big hearts. There just has to be a standard set down for what will constitute a "Breed".

Let me say, first off - there is no such thing as a Roman Rottweiler - unless it was whelped in Rome. The standard for the Rottweiler breed is, quite literally, the same in the U.S., Canada, and European Countries - except for the tails in Europe.

Interesting that, with your history of showing and breeding - we assume ethically - you would actually pay big money for a "doodle". Part of searching for an ethical breeder is looking for one who not only breeds for the "look" of the breed, but also the proper temperment while screening for genetic issues. A well bred (to the standard) Standard Poodle is very much like a lab in temperment - they WERE originally bred for the same purpose as labs after all.

I wouldn't get my hopes up of Labradoodles every getting recognized by one of the "legitimate" registries. After all - cockapoos have been around for going on 50 years now and aren't even on AKC's radar.

erykah1310
September 8th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Let me say, first off - there is no such thing as a Roman Rottweiler - unless it was whelped in Rome. The standard for the Rottweiler breed is, quite literally, the same in the U.S., Canada, and European Countries - except for the tails in Europe.

yeah, I always chuckle at that myself... Roman/German/American/Austrailian/Mars Rottweilers as though it is some step up from just a plain ol Rottie:rolleyes:

Me sitting here with my "canadian" CockerSpaniel, Border Collie and Tibetan Mastiff.

lotus
September 9th, 2008, 06:35 AM
You know I wonder if the rotti mix at the local HS is a rottidoodle it's funny looking. If so sad that they are showing up in shelters already:sad: Here's a pic of him.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/lotus02/IMG_0115.jpg

BenMax
September 9th, 2008, 07:08 AM
IMO, the AKC and the CKC (Canadian Kennel Club, not Contintental) are part of the problem of many breeders continually producing unhealthy dogs.

IMO - until the AKC, CKC, UKC and clubs like them start REQUIRING health/genetic testing, we will continue to see more and more unhealthy pure-bred pups. The byb's don't genetic test because it's too expensive and cuts into their profit margin - the other breeders have their hands tied because they want all their pups to be "show quality" and to introduce new blood lines can jeopordize that, especially with the more rare breeds. The lower the number of acceptable dams/sires, the more the dogs will be in-bred. I have people all the time tell me 'well my dog is registered' - well woopie, so are two of mine - doesn't mean they are healthy. :frustrated:

Point well taken Kandy. Personally, I would prefer people to see registered breeders than a petstore or BYB. I am a strong advocate for rescues and shelter animals but if someone really wanted to go to a breeder, I would rather see them go somewhere where they have less of a chance of having problems.

LavenderRott
September 9th, 2008, 08:52 AM
You know I wonder if the rotti mix at the local HS is a rottidoodle it's funny looking. If so sad that they are showing up in shelters already:sad: Here's a pic of him.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/lotus02/IMG_0115.jpg

There IS such a thing as a long haired rottie - it is a genetic throwback, not to be bred for and always speutered by an ethical breeder before placement. The coat looks right on the above picture, but the face looks a bit off. Not sure if it is because it is a mix or a bad picture.

LavenderRott
September 9th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Point well taken Kandy. Personally, I would prefer people to see registered breeders than a petstore or BYB. I am a strong advocate for rescues and shelter animals but if someone really wanted to go to a breeder, I would rather see them go somewhere where they have less of a chance of having problems.

Registration papers are not the be all end all when looking for a puppy. All papers say is that the dog is purebred with purebred parents tracking back several generations.

BenMax
September 9th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Registration papers are not the be all end all when looking for a puppy. All papers say is that the dog is purebred with purebred parents tracking back several generations.

I totally understand that and get it. In my opinion it is a worse getting a pet from a pet store. This truly is my point. I am actively involved with Rescue groups in two provinces and also one in the states. I am certainly not rushing out to get a dog from a breeder regardless of how well he/she is bred nor just to have 'proof' that I have a purebreed. What I am saying however people who want a purebred and refuse to go to the shelter or a rescue (for whatever reason) - I do NOT want to see them going to a petstore.

Bottom line is that the public in general are not well informed. Anyone can call themselves a breeder. Whether that be for a dog of 'breed' or a mixed 'breed' of breed (I don't know if I am making sense here to whoever reads this) such as the golden****zu, poodledoodle or whatever else people consider a breed. These 'new' 'breeds' are now a new fade. A new fade or 'dog of the year' are now being abandoned at rescues and shelters. It is now everyone's problem once again.

But good point LavenderRott - you are absolutely right. Not to mention, papers can be purchased by BYB's stating the dog is a purebred.

AmericanBullMom
September 22nd, 2008, 07:22 AM
my mom owns a GoldenDoodle, and he's....different. He seems to be "out there".... I cant explain it, but I think they bred in the Hypoallergenic, and bred OUT the brains of both of these highly intelligent dogs. :rolleyes: