Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dusting or Vacuuming?

Byrd
February 4th, 2007, 01:21 PM
OK, so there is supposedly a rule as to which is done first, can't remember the rule, but which do you do first?

Skryker
February 4th, 2007, 01:26 PM
I think you're supposed to vac first because it stirs up dust. :shrug: I sweep/vac and my kid does the dusting because I hate to dust. Too tedious and time consuming. :frustrated:

mummummum
I vacuum EVERYTHING. Hard surfaces get the upholstery attachment.

Lukka'sma
I always work top to bottom, so I dust first. No reason other than habit.

Hunter's_owner
February 4th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Yeah I do top to bottom too:shrug:

Mocha's mum
February 4th, 2007, 03:21 PM
I dust first with one of those swiffer thingies. And then I vaccuum, because if there's any crumbs or whatnot that you knocked on the floor from dusting, you'll suck them up :D

Okay, I'm wierd, and have a strange OCD with cleaning....certain order of doing things, specific cleaners for specific things.....yup. I'm a wierd one :thumbs up :laughing:

Frenchy
February 4th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Okay, I'm wierd, and have a strange OCD with cleaning....certain order of doing things, specific cleaners for specific things.....yup. I'm a wierd one :thumbs up :laughing:

Oh me too ! For everything actually. If I don't follow my routine, everything goes wrong ! :shrug:

Byrd
February 4th, 2007, 04:00 PM
I vacuum EVERYTHING. Hard surfaces get the upholstery attachment.

Yeah, this is what I usually do too, that way you get the crumbs and hairs etc. I even vacuum the stove and countertops (kitchen and bathroom).

I just spent over an hour vacuuming, mopped all the floors, now I'm going to dust/polish, Willow had a bath this morning. I'm having friends over Friday, can you tell? Thursday I will likely vacuum again - to get all that Willow hair - and clean the bathroom (want that fresh for the guests). Yeah, I don't have people over often, I try to avoid that as much as I can.

Catzig
February 4th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Crumbs????? It's a competition in this house to see which four legged hoover will get the crumbs first.

Oddly enough, that is one of the first things I noticed after we lost Clancy :rip: - there were more crumbs. I guess Sybil :cat: missed the challenge and gave up the sport for a while.

(I vacuum before I dust)

joeysmama
February 4th, 2007, 05:23 PM
I vacuum first because it stirs up dust which is then back in the carpet, but you can't see it so I'm fine with that.

And my first choice wasn't there.

"Spend the day out with my friends and come home and be AMAZED that no one snuck in and cleaned while I was gone.":rolleyes:

rainbow
February 4th, 2007, 06:00 PM
My answer's not there. I do whatever I feel like doing first at that particular time. :o

hazelrunpack
February 4th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Oh, gosh! Are you supposed to do them both on the SAME DAY!!!???? Guess I'm gonna have to log in as a slob :o

:p

meb999
February 4th, 2007, 09:29 PM
yeah, I'm with Hazel on this one!

It's vacum on week, dust the next :D :p

papillonmama
February 4th, 2007, 09:35 PM
You're gonna be sorry you asked, first I dry dust, then I go back over everything with a wet cloth and some disinfectant, then I wash the windows, sweep the floor, shake out pillows, throw blankets, etc., then if everything is to my liking, then I vacuum. I was going to leave it at that, but really I vacuum just about everything over again, I do the carpets of course, but I also do the ceilings, in case there were spider webs, and the curtains, and everything that I just shook out.

I always vacuum last, it's so big I don't want to have to drag it back out again.

But, my mother taught me to dust first, just so that when the dust settles on the ground, you don't have to vacuum again, and in my mum's house, if there was dust, you had to vacuum again. Old habits die hard I guess.:shrug:

rainbow
February 5th, 2007, 12:07 AM
You're gonna be sorry you asked, first I dry dust, then I go back over everything with a wet cloth and some disinfectant, then I wash the windows, sweep the floor, shake out pillows, throw blankets, etc., then if everything is to my liking, then I vacuum. I was going to leave it at that, but really I vacuum just about everything over again, I do the carpets of course, but I also do the ceilings, in case there were spider webs, and the curtains, and everything that I just shook out.

I always vacuum last, it's so big I don't want to have to drag it back out again.

But, my mother taught me to dust first, just so that when the dust settles on the ground, you don't have to vacuum again, and in my mum's house, if there was dust, you had to vacuum again. Old habits die hard I guess.:shrug:

Do you do that every day? :eek:

papillonmama
February 5th, 2007, 04:44 PM
No rainbow, lol, that's once a week:o , then I can just tidy up every day , if I have to vacuum here and there it's not so bad then. I just can't leave it for too long other wise the kids and the animal hair starts to take over. It scares me.:eek:

okay okay, there are some thing I do everyday, like the shaking out of the pillows and throws, and usually a once a day vacuuming is needed, I mean needed, not just, it's a little messy in here, my kids are REALLY MESSY.