Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bitterly cold outside

chico2
February 4th, 2007, 12:54 PM
WOW,I just went out to fill the birdfeeders,add water to the heated birdbath and it's COLD and Windy(-15C=about 0F)my poor birds,at least they have food and water.
The cats insisted on coming outside with me,4 feet on the deck and they were back inside:laughing:
I know you Albertans and Quebeckers will say -15C is nothing,but it's waaay tooo cold with the wind:yell:

Skryker
February 4th, 2007, 01:00 PM
I know what you mean, chico. I was just checking on my birds outside, and they're all fluffed up in the tree. Poor little featherheads! At least they have shelter and food. (I'm looking for a heated bird fountain for them. )

chico2
February 4th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Skryker,I bought a little portable bird-bath heater at my pet-supply store,it works like a charm,was a bit expensive at $59,but well worth it.
I've been watching a couple of Robins(dummies did not fly south)and they drink there all the time,I also give them raisins to eat and they are,since they cannot get worms and don't eat seeds:sad:

BLB
February 4th, 2007, 01:05 PM
I was checking my birds now that Ottawa is under a windchill warning of minus 40 :eek: and I gave them more food and suet feeders but no water as I have yet to finder a heater that I am comfortable with especially when my shepherd things this her personal outdoor water bowl. Maybe a higher birdbath but where did you get heater.

Skryker
February 4th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Yeah, I have seed and suet out there, but I really want to get them some water, too. Since the feeders are new (and improvised, but they get the job done!) I only have a pair of sparrows as regulars, but they spend all day in the tree. And there are chickadees that visit most days. :cloud9:

chico2
February 4th, 2007, 01:09 PM
BLB,I bought it at Ren's Pet Depot.
I believe you can have one shipped,they are now sell on line too
at www.renspets.com however you can probably get one at a wild-bird store.

Prin
February 4th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Yeah, Oakville has a windchill warning too.

-15C isn't too cold, but -40 is. :eek:
http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/city/pages/on-79_metric_e.html

BLB
February 4th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Thank you Cico:thumbs up Hope Barry's feed store has one if not will uses website.

chico2
February 4th, 2007, 01:18 PM
I know we are in the wrong thread,but I did mention my cats:D
I have hundreds of birds about 30 pigeons(2 white ones),tons of Mourning Doves,Cardinals,Blue-Jays,Chickadees,Junkos+sparrows and Starlings etc...I also have my 3 Crows,but they eat left-over food from the house,plus my Squirrel-buddies who get shelled peanuts...hubby says we are beeing ruined,but he loves every minute of it.:D

chico2
February 4th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Prin,it certainly felt like -40..

Prin
February 4th, 2007, 01:20 PM
I love how all your neighborhood furries and featheries are probably the healthiest anywhere.:D :highfive:

Skryker
February 4th, 2007, 01:23 PM
I know we are in the wrong thread,but I did mention my cats:D
I have hundreds of birds about 30 pigeons(2 white ones),tons of Mourning Doves,Cardinals,Blue-Jays,Chickadees,Junkos+sparrows and Starlings etc...I also have my 3 Crows,but they eat left-over food from the house,plus my Squirrel-buddies who get shelled peanuts...hubby says we are beeing ruined,but he loves every minute of it.:D

My husband complains about it too, and laughs at the birds scolding him when he goes out on the porch, but I notice he's always checking on the level of seed in the feeders. :rolleyes: And he comes back into the house for peanuts if there's any squirrels around and no peanuts out.

chico2
February 4th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Yeah,I know these sucky men,who pretend they don't care...I also have suet and then a cornfeeder for the squirrels,I buy dried corn-on-the cob at the same store.

chico2
February 4th, 2007, 01:34 PM
This is what I have,minus the snow..

mummummum
February 4th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Yup ~ it's -30 with the windchill here at the moment. I can't believe I saw bunnies last night! Bunnies eat what ? Carrots ? Lettuce ? What do they eat for energy ? We've had a HUGE bunny explosion this year since the die-off the coyotes.

chico2
February 4th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Prin,Rocky found one dead Starling frozen stiff(the only birds he can catch:D )and I found one who died in my hands:sad:

chico2
February 4th, 2007, 01:47 PM
mmm,wow,bunnies,I only see them in the summer,don't know where they go in the winter:confused:
I suppose they'd eat just about anything..I am glad I don't have bunnies to worry about too.

Frenchy
February 4th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Since you guys are talking about birds....one morning this week on my way to work I saw a bunch (and I mean A LOT) of big birds in a field near my place. Could they be pheasants ?

OntarioGreys
February 4th, 2007, 04:40 PM
pheasants look like this, I have never seen them flock together in large numbers though

http://www.nargc.ie/images/pheasant.jpg

I lived in French River for a couple of years and there was a day back in 1979 when it slipped down to -40 and my dash board cracked on my old plymouth fury and and another person had their rear window blow out when they turned on the defroster and it was not as cold as some of the -20's we have down here, the difference has to do with moisture in the air in southern ontario due to being surrounded 3 sides by the Great Lakes there is a lot of moisture in the air so in the summer feels a lot hotter and in the winter a lot colder than it really is. So a -20 here could easily feel just as cold as a -40 elsewhere add the wind chill in really makes for a bitterly cold day and a cold night as I am going to enjoy when I go in for the midnight tonight. will be alost enough to make me want to quit smoking :o

I feel worse for my dogs though, Sunny acts lke I am trying to kill him if I try to put on boots, but the poor old boy just can not take the cold on his feet, Winnie I usually have to carry in even Maya was getting painful feet in the last outing, and she can usually outlast the others wit no problems, I can just picture myself having to carry greyhounds into the house tonight :eek:

chico2
February 4th, 2007, 04:40 PM
I don't know about Pheasants,I suppose it's possible,maybe they were Canada Geese:D
Don't laugh:laughing: ,a lot of people would not know what they look like:laughing:

dustybird
February 4th, 2007, 04:56 PM
They could be wild turkey's there have been a lot of them around in the last couple of years, we see them all the time, everywhere and there are usually say between 20-40 and they're really dumb(sorry turkey's but you are). They walk out into traffic and just stop to pick at stuff on the road and they even try to get into the parking garage(when its not cold).

chico2
February 4th, 2007, 05:03 PM
That could be,now why did i not think of that,but then again,all I see here are Swans,Ducks and Canada Geese(at the lake that is,not my backyard):laughing:

Frenchy
February 4th, 2007, 06:09 PM
OG that looks like it ! Could it be ? oh well, I'm pretty sure I won't see them again, it was the first time in 3 years. I see bysons too , not wild ones tough :p

technodoll
February 4th, 2007, 06:29 PM
i don't mind the birds picking at the leftover meaty (frozen) bones the dogs leave on the balcony but do they have to friggin' pee and poop there like it's a giant bird toilet? :mad: :yell: the dogs only have a small outdoor space and love to spend time there but no, they now have to lay in a bird turds and yellow snowy ice. jiminy cricket now i know where the term "bird brain" came from! (even when there are no leftovers they still come to empty themselves here. WTF? is there not enough other free space in this city?) :frustrated:

signed,

not a bird lover.

coppperbelle
February 4th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Since you guys are talking about birds....one morning this week on my way to work I saw a bunch (and I mean A LOT) of big birds in a field near my place. Could they be pheasants ?

It was probably wild turkeys. There are lots of them around. I have sometimes seen as many as 40 or 50 together in a field. This is gross but I will share it with you anyways. At this time of year farmers are spreading their manure around the fields. Manure is of course the waste from cows. We all know that animals like people do not digest and break up corn so it comes out looking the same way it went in. :rolleyes: Apparently the wild turkeys don't mind eating recycled corn and this is why you see them in a the fields right now. This was your science lesson for the day. :thumbs up

mafiaprincess
February 4th, 2007, 08:12 PM
I taught skiing all freaking day in -26C... I am so cold I want to go collapse.
I came home and told Cider I'm sorry but there won't be a walk tonight. We have bunnies here too. One keeps trying to live under our covered up lawnmower. Cider keeps investigating it. 2 weeks ago a moron raccoon walked across the yard.. months of weird warm weather.. gets cold and they wake up. Cider chased it and tried to play with it in the yard before I could call her back. It wasn't amused with dog nose in bum.

Frenchy
February 4th, 2007, 08:16 PM
It was probably wild turkeys.

No luck, if it were pheasant I could have caught a couple to feed some raw diet to the fuzzbutts :p

erykah1310
February 4th, 2007, 08:17 PM
OG, Im near French River, and its still that dang cold here, especially tonight, we are expecting -30 PLUS a windchill...... I dont even want to venture out to see how bad it really is.......

Frenchy
February 4th, 2007, 08:18 PM
do they have to friggin' pee and poop there like it's a giant bird toilet?

I bought a owl (not a real one :p ) to put on the side of the pool, it scares them away.

hazelrunpack
February 4th, 2007, 08:27 PM
We started out at -30 C and ended up about -20 C....with a robust wind! brrrrrrrr Not even Ms Muddy Mossy Messy Macie was spendin' much time outside today!

Our feeders are getting mobbed with blue jays, chickadees and gold finches.

If my connection lasts I'll attach a picture of a turkey...haven't seen many this year, but last year they were around a lot...

Is this what you saw, Frenchy? They gather in fields in fairly large numbers and then irritate the local farmers by landing on their outbuildings and white-washing them... :yuck:

Frenchy
February 4th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Yes it looks like it, :yuck: they're pretty ugly in your pic. Hope they don't come to my yard .....

Skryker
February 4th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Here's my sparrow pair at my improv feeders. Not many birds have discovered them yet, so the sparrows have it made right now.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/Arkayos/IMG_0811.jpg

Not great pics because I took them through my window, but it's nice to watch the birds out there.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/Arkayos/IMG_0813.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/Arkayos/IMG_0809.jpg

chico2
February 5th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Skryker,you don't have to have expensive feeders,the birds don't care and they need all the help they can get in winter:thumbs up
Here's Rocky with his price catch a few years back,he found the frozen dead Dove under our deck..but he was so proud wanted to bring it inside:yell:
The only thing he can catch,has to be dead already:thumbs up

Golden Girls
February 5th, 2007, 08:30 AM
aww :rip: dove. Misti has brought me several gifts as well but mainly :rip: squirrels. Most she killed though :sad: I get so mad but I know it's a natural instinct for them

It's freezing out there today BRRRRRRRR

chico2
February 5th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Yeah,today is even colder:yell: -17C plus windchill and I HAVE to go out,hope the car starts:fingerscr
I think I'll just let Bailey out for a pee-poop break today,no walk..
GG,the poor Dove likely was sick and froze to death:sad:
Since we are always outside with the cats,I make sure they do not catch birds,their favourite spot of course,is under the birdfeeders....they have caught the odd mouse,but then hubby to the rescue:D

mummummum
February 5th, 2007, 10:29 AM
If my connection lasts I'll attach a picture of a turkey...haven't seen many this year, but last year they were around a lot...

Is this what you saw, Frenchy? They gather in fields in fairly large numbers and then irritate the local farmers by landing on their outbuildings and white-washing them... :yuck:

That looks more like a buzzard ???

Jazz&Cricket
February 5th, 2007, 11:20 AM
It was fairly cold here on Sat & Sunday but that doesn't stop us from heading out to explore our 'big back yard' :) This is the part of the farm we don't get to see in the summer because the bush is too thick...but winter is a different story. So here are Jazz & Cricket, enjoying the view! They LOVE bushwhacking...Cricket is usually head deep in the snow looking for mice or 'dining' on rabbit poop :eek: and Jazz usually carts around the biggest branch he can find!

vfrohloff
February 5th, 2007, 11:25 AM
How are you Ontarians faring today? Us Montrealers are freezing! Not sure what the temp is, but it's cold and very windy. I have to trek to the vet to get some antibiotics for Ted and I'm dreading the 10 foot walk to my car! Poor Maurice the outdoor cat, I've been putting his food under the porch so he doesn't have to come out to eat it. I hate winter, remind me why I live here? :yell:

Jazz&Cricket
February 5th, 2007, 11:46 AM
It was -26.7 this morning but thankfully not too much wind so the windchill made it -31. Far better than the -51 (windchill) in NW. Ontario!! NOW THAT'S COLD!!:eek:

chico2
February 5th, 2007, 04:37 PM
I don't know how familiar any of you are with Ontario,but I drove from Oakville with no new snow,in to a snowstorm in Mississauga(10min away) terrible driving,first time trying out my Volvo Cross-Country 4x4 in the snow and it did great:thumbs up
Still really cold,the wind is a killer,must be a gift from Alberta:yell:

Prin
February 5th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Great pic. Doesn't really capture the sheer freezing that must have been though. :D

See, in Qc, windchill isn't enough. We need windchill + humidifactor. :D (humidex is in the summer...). It's -34 with the windchill, but -52 with the bone-penetrating humidifactor. But, EC is ignoring my suggestions.:D

Skryker
February 5th, 2007, 04:41 PM
chico, I grew up in Burlington (was born in Oakville) and I laughed when I saw that (not that you had to drive in the snow;) )-I remember how frustrating it can be to drive near the lake. You never know if it will be rain, snow, sleet or fog along the QEW.

Or the Upper Middle Road weather line-no snow on the ground below UMR, but 3 feet above it. Fun with the lake effect.

Mocha's mum
February 5th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Hey, you guys are welcome for the cold. We had it ten-ish days ago. Not nice :yuck:

Today, it's snowing/freezing rain/dropping little ice pellets. Needless to say, the pup does not want to go outside, and people all over have forgotten how to drive :yell:

chico2
February 5th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Skryker,I drove up Dundas/Trafalgar rd/Derry rd and I tell you visibility was zero,hit Oakville again and no snow,weird:frustrated:
Prin,we too have a humidity factor,which makes it go right through to your bones,my son in Alberta can be outdoors in -20C and not freeze.
Thank's Mocha's mum,but please keep the freezing rain in Alberta!

Prin
February 5th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Yeah, I went from 8C in Ireland to -4 in Banff in the same day and the -4 felt like t-shirt weather compared to the damp cool weather in Ireland.:o