Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dogs are FIGHTING!!!

VanHull
February 4th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Hello everyone!!! I have a serious problem and I'm hoping that someone will have some advice for me. I have 2 wonderful dogs. They are the loves of my life. Kane, my Rottweiler is 5 years old. I got him when he was 8 weeks old. Bubba, my Pit Bull, is about 18 months old. I got him when he was about 3 months old. He was a rescue from the local S.P.C.A. My problem is this; 3 months ago, I had to put Bubba in a kennel due to the fact that there is a Pit Bull ban in my municipality. I just got him back yesterday and he is being very aggressive towards my Rottie. I'm afraid to leave them alone. I've been keeping Bubba on the leash in the house, just in case. They always got along before Bubba went to the kennel. Has anyone gone through a similar experience??? I should also mention that Kane is neutered and Bubba is not. Thank you so much for your time and help.

meb999
February 4th, 2007, 10:47 AM
a good place to start would be to neuter your pittie....

Hunter's_owner
February 4th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Yeah I agree, that would be a great place to start. Also some obedience training or something of that nature after the neutering.

papillonmama
February 4th, 2007, 11:05 AM
I would say, after three months you should treat them like dogs that have never met before. Check out some of the other threads about introducing two dogs.

Neutering is a great start, and slowly re-introducing them.

Good luck.

You should also show us some pictures.;)

mummummum
February 4th, 2007, 11:16 AM
You might also want to consult a behaviourist for help in the reintrodyction. Your Pittie is coming into maturity and is a now virtual stranger to your Rottie, there may be some pack order / establishing dominance issues as a result of the separation and his maturation.

pitgrrl
February 4th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Dog aggression is common in APBTs and often starts to show up around the age of full maturity, meaning somewhere between 1-3 years old, depending on the dog. You should absolutely get a set up in your house that allows you to securely seperate the dogs when you cannot very directly supervise and/or that allows you to rotate the dogs so they don't have to have contact with eachother.

some of the following links should help you:
http://www.pbrc.net/rotate.html
http://www.pbrc.net/dogintros.html
http://www.badrap.org/rescue/multidogs.cfm
http://www.badrap.org/rescue/dogdog.cfm

Aodhan
February 4th, 2007, 11:59 AM
I agree 100% with pitgrrl. Have your Bubba fixed as soon as possible and accept the fact you might have to deal with a crate-and-rotate scenario.

I am sure they are the sweetest boys out there and might return to 'getting along' in the near future yet I would expect them to get in a fight in the future, something no one wants to see happen. I would never leave the two together without surveillance. A toy, a bone, food, a cushion, a glance, your attention, anything could trigger a spat.

A crate-and-rotate scenario (or something similar) might be difficult for you to accept at first but it's something that is easily workable. Many pitbull owners have been doing this for years without any problem.

And, yes, we want to see pictures

VanHull
February 4th, 2007, 01:17 PM
WOW! I can't believe the number of responses I received so quickly! Thank you all so much. The advice was very helpful. Fortunately, Bubba had obedience training while he was in the kennel, which is a big help. I have follow up lessons for myself and Bubba for the next few weekends. I'll start with getting a crate, followed by having Bubba neutered. It just breaks my heart to see them like this. Kane, my Rottie looks scared. I feel so bad. It has actually brought me to tears. I'm working on those pics to show everyone what my boys look like! I'm a proud mom!

pitgrrl
February 4th, 2007, 01:40 PM
I can imagine how upsetting the current situation is for you, but once you figure out the best management senario for your house it'll get better and easier.
I think it's worth remembering that although you're not going to "cure" your pit bull of dog aggression, training and desensitization can go a very long way if you keep at it.

Out of curiousity, if you don't mind me asking, what part of Montreal were you living in that required you to kennel Bubba?

VanHull
February 4th, 2007, 01:50 PM
I don't mind at all! I was in Ste. Genevieve. As far as I know, Ste. Genevieve, Ste Anne de Bellevue, St. Laurent, St. Leonard and L'Ile Bizard all have a Pit Bull ban in effect. For some reason, I got singled out and they came to take my Pittie away. I refused and immediately brought him to the kennel. On my street alone, there are at least SIX other Pitties! I don't know why they picked on me. As a matter of fact, one of the Pit Bulls that lives on my street, bit a police officer last year and they didn't do a thing to the dog or owner. She was allowed to keep him! I mean, I'm very happy that the dog wasn't euthanized, but I don't know why they didn't apply the ban to her. Just my luck, I guess...

pitgrrl
February 4th, 2007, 01:59 PM
That sound really horrible, actually it sounds like my worst nightmare, but it's awsome that you stuck with your dog and got him out of harm's way.

I always wonder how much they enforce pit bull bans around Montreal, I get such different answers from people.

VanHull
February 4th, 2007, 02:43 PM
In my case it was a run in with "Securite Publique" or by-law enforcement. While I completely understand that they have a job to do, I don't understand why they pick on people such as myself, who have done nothing wrong. Had I known that there was a ban in Ste. Genevieve, I never would have moved there. I had only been in my new apartment for 2 weeks when they confronted me about Bubba! Two weeks! I hadn't even unpacked! Like you, I've heard so many different stories about pit bull bans in Montreal. No two stories are alike. I'd say it's done on a case by case basis.