Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My boy won't squat..

Petrie
February 4th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Ok so I'm very new to this site. In fact I just found it this morning. So I'm going to ask something about my cat. I'll give a little back ground first.

I got Ares (named after the Greek god of war, way too fitting :P), at a Pet Smart about 2 1/2 years ago. Normally I would not even consider getting a pet from one of the chain stores because I have heard such horrid stores, but I just fell in love with the little white fur ball as soon as I saw him. After I got rid of his ear mites that he came with :( and everything else he was a happy, healthy kitten. He got his name but showing he wasn't afriad of anything in cluding the other cats I lived with at the time. He would just toss all of his 6 lb body right at them. Anyway, I have since moved in with my brother and his (our) dog. We have lived together now for 2 years and the cat and dog get along famously.

The actual issue I'm having is this, Ares won't squat when he pees. I had a litter box with very high sides on it and he would just prop his front feet on a side and pee that way and it would all stay in the box. About 2 weeks ago I got us one of the automatic litter boxes and he is peeing right on the scooper since he doesn't squat.

Is there anyway I can help him learn how to do this correctly?

jiorji
February 4th, 2007, 10:38 AM
well he is squating but he prefers to prop his paws up on the side.

i never liked those auto scoopers. Good ol' fashioned litter boxes are better and cats pee where they want and you clean with your own hand better :thumbs up

chico2
February 4th, 2007, 11:05 AM
I agree with Jiorji,put the automatic box on E-Bay:D
One of my 3 cats,also stands with 2 paws on the edges of the box.
Your cat might be afraid of the automatic box,I know mine would be and I would not mess with their bathroom-habits,they might find another spot in the house to do their thing.:D

Scott_B
February 4th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Yup, one of my three also stands on the side of the box and does his thing. :thumbs up

Petrie
February 5th, 2007, 10:20 AM
He isn't afraid of it at all since he is in there all the time, he just doesn't aim well. Oh well we will survive, as opposed to some training problems I guess mine is minor since he does know where and what to do basically :)

Thanks for all the responses.