Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogs hunches, won't sit or lay down

bishop
February 4th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Not sure what is going on with my dog so I am asking for some advise.

He is a large mixed breed, thin small shepard size. We have 2 other dogs and 3 cats. This particular dog came to our house last summer with my son (who has had him since he was a pup) and has been doing great until recently. He is about 8 years old.

At times he hunches his back and doesn't want to lay or sit down. He walks funny like he is contispated but he does go. I read the forum about bloating, the symptoms seem similiar and he hunches like he wants to throw up but doesn't. He also has no grass to eat this time of year so we can't tell if he would want to. The shape of his stomach is OK (not extended). Other times he is just fine.

He may have gotten ahold of a sparrow recently, his new doggy friends like to chase them and mice as well.

Occasionally he coughs or hacks a few times.

He used to eat dry food before he was with us, now he eats food mixed with water. Going to try dry.

He was always an indoor dog, now he is outdoors in the summer, indoors in the winter.

Would the bloating symptoms come and go? and will bloating always have the extended stomach symptoms??

Thanks,
Randy

Hunter's_owner
February 4th, 2007, 11:07 AM
If it is bloating, the dog should see a vet immediately.

Also, anything else that would be causing the dog to do this would require a vet visit as well.

PLease bring the dog to see a vet asap

Mocha's mum
February 4th, 2007, 11:10 AM
I agree with Hunter's owner. Pup definately needs a vet check up. If it is bloat, it is very serious and will require surgery...

My pup did 'hunched up' thing last year, but it turned out to be a back problem associated with smaller dogs...but you never know, he could be having some back pain as well.....At any rate, I think a car ride to get checked out is in order.

Good luck and keep us posted. Hopefully, everything is okay :fingerscr

OntarioGreys
February 4th, 2007, 04:10 PM
It could be from assorted causes but any of them will pobably require an x-ray, he could possibly have a partial obstruction , problem in the spine, some other sort of abdominal problem like spleen, also the dogs stomach is inside the ribcage so he may be after eating developing a lot of gas that is able to pass eventually but could be causing alot of discomfort at the time.

bishop
February 4th, 2007, 05:30 PM
We have been watching and trying things all day. We are thinking his cage is a little small and his back might be getting sore. The longer he is out, the better he gets.

I can also put pressure all along his back or stomach without bothering him. Sometimes, though, he'll yelp after coming up the stairs and no one touched him.

If he was bloated, wouldn't the pressure bother him??

We don't have a very good vet in my area. The last good one retired so we are looking for a new one.

Hunter's_owner
February 4th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Now is a good time to get one, imo.

I would really check it out if I were you. Better to know for sure what is on the go. Also if you think the crate may be too small, you really should get a bigger size:shrug:

SnowDancer
February 5th, 2007, 11:21 AM
I would find a new vet without any delay. Re pup not crying when you press on back, dogs can be very stoic when they suspect something is wrong. I would be very concerned - could be a number of things as other posters have stated - I have been through a couple of them - and can think of another condition that I won't worry you with now - my friend's Weim has just been diagnosed.

bishop
February 7th, 2007, 03:20 PM
After a few nights out of the smaller cage he seems to be doing better. Just about his old self.

A visit to our vet and he was diagnosed with thyroid cancer with 2 months to live, 6 months to a year with surgery.:confused:

hazelrunpack
February 7th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Oh, bishop, I'm so sorry to hear. :grouphug: This has got to be so difficult--what a shock! Did they run a biopsy? :grouphug:

Hunter's_owner
February 7th, 2007, 03:33 PM
So sorry to hear:sad:

bishop
February 7th, 2007, 06:43 PM
I don't know what tests were run, my son took him in and he is pretty broke up and won't talk about it. 'Butch' was to move with him when he finished college and left home. I am going to call the vet tomorrow.

He is not doing well tonight, he doesn't move his head around like he has a stiff neck.

Mocha's mum
February 7th, 2007, 07:13 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your pup :sad: Mocha and I have you and your family in our thoughts and prayers :pray: