Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

From S. Korea to Canada...

anjelle
February 3rd, 2007, 09:35 PM
My friend is finishing her contract here in Korea this month. She will then do two months of travelling before going back to Canada. So, she will be sending her cat home before her to her parents' home.

No matter what is done this is going to be a traumatic experience for Simon but does anyone have any advise or recommendations on how we can make this as easy as possible on him?

Prin
February 4th, 2007, 12:55 AM
Sorry, I don't have cats, so I don't know, but I think a first step is to make sure you know the quarantine rules and all that for coming into Canada with an animal.. :o

jiorji
February 4th, 2007, 09:51 AM
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/heasan/import/petse.shtml

canada doesn't have quarantine for domestic cats, but it does require vaccines against rabies.

chico2
February 4th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Also,the most important!!!An absolutely safe carrier that cannot open accidentally.
Have her call the air-line and ask about safety-precautions.
We've had several horror stories about lost pets at the airport:sad:

jiorji
February 4th, 2007, 11:14 AM
We've had several horror stories about lost pets at the airport:sad:

yeah, that's why..personally, i wouldn't let the cat go alone.

badger
February 4th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Also, the cat should NOT be given medication to calm it down for the journey; vets in North America no longer recommend it because it interferes with their ability to regulate body temperature (at least that's what I've heard) and isn't necessary, except maybe in a tiny handful of cases. I don't know where Korean vets stand on this, the only reason I mention it.

I put a sign on Badger's cage reading 'My name is Badger. Please talk to me'. When they were getting ready to load his crate onto the plane, I saw two airport workers leaning into the cage, doing just that. It was so sweet. Badger was probably hissing at them, he's such a pansy.

Even if everything goes swimmingly, you worry until you see them again. I once sent an attendant to check on him in the hold!

jiorji
February 4th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Even if everything goes swimmingly, you worry until you see them again. I once sent an attendant to check on him in the hold!

they can do that badger?!?! that's AWESOME!(....for my future plans , good to know;) )

do they not allow cages in the cabins at all unless they fit under teh seat? What if you go first class? there's more room.

My concern would be constant meowing but with any luck maybe the cat will calm down and go to sleep once it realizes that there's nobody coming. BUt who's in charge when they transport unattended pets?..Is it the flight attendants?

Prin
February 4th, 2007, 01:27 PM
You might want to get a collar with a bunch of ID tags, just in case.:o (Can't hurt, right?)

And I've heard the same Badger, about the sedatives and body temperature...

badger
February 4th, 2007, 01:59 PM
I think they're really trying to get animals out of the cabin. The pet-owners end up with the cat (or dog) in their lap - 'well, if he's quiet no-one will notice' - of course people notice and maybe they have allergies or object to sharing their space with a fuzzball - and then the flight attendant has to run interference. People don't 'go quietly' anymore. Inside a flying hunk of steel, where everyone is more or less oxygen-starved because they keep recirculating the same air, things could get complicated.
Even if they could fit under the seat, none of my cats would sit still for even a short flight, unless they were drugged.

anjelle
February 6th, 2007, 07:35 AM
thanks for the recommendations.

i have passed this information on to my friend.
she is going through the same vet that sent our friend's ****zhu to NZ two months ago. so, that makes us feel a little better about Simon making the trek home without her.

chico2
February 6th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Anjelle,I am thankful both you and your friend will fly your cats home to Canada and not just dump them on the street,like many people do:thumbs up