Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

feeding for indoor cats

anjelle
February 3rd, 2007, 09:32 PM
I have a four month old kitten. So far I basically keep her dish full and it seems like that is what I have found to do so far on the internet.

I live in Korea and there are very few people here with cats and I don't really trust the vets' opinions either.

I have two friends that also have indoor cats and both of them have been put on diets by their vet.

I am worried about her becoming overweight for her own good, but also because she is going to have to take a very long plane ride back to canada in a couple years and i would like to have the option of taking her carry on.

jiorji
February 3rd, 2007, 09:38 PM
well the carry on has to do also with the size of the cat. If she ends up being a big cat that doesn't fit in a cage that fits under your seat, then it can't go in the carry on. Unless the airline you researched has different rules?:fingerscr

a cup a day for a kitten is fine. It depends on the food too. BUt as tehy grow, an adult cat should be fed according to her size, btu a kitten is in growing and if she needs that food , then she has to have it.
Does it not say on the bag how much to feed?

badger
February 4th, 2007, 03:10 AM
I think you should accept that this cat, at two years, is never going to fit under an airline seat and will have to fly with the luggage, in a crate. It can be done, although you need to find an airline that has a good record with animals, as well as the shortest route.
Enjoy your kitten, but don't obsess about his weight, he needs those calories right now. If he starts to get plump later on, you would cut back on his food for his health, not because he can't fly in the cabin with you!

anjelle
February 4th, 2007, 09:26 AM
i apologize. my main question, which i apparently got sidetracked and didnt even ask, was should i feed her only the "recommended amount" or just always have food in her dish.

i am always concerned about getting her home. and i am worried about her becoming overweight. i try to play with her as much as possible everyday. but anyways... this post...

1) feeding 2x/day - recommended dosage
or
2) just always keep food in her dish and she will regulate how much she needs

thanks

badger
February 4th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Some cats seem to self-regulate, you can leave a bowl out for hours and they'll pick at it and eventually finish it (or not), others eat like it's their last meal - some of mine (all adults) are in the latter category so I try not to leave food out.
But the point is, a kitten should not be restricted in any way, just as you would not restrict a human baby. Try feeding her at regular times during the day and then leave a bowl out overnight. Eating at night is a secret cat pleasure.

chico2
February 4th, 2007, 10:38 AM
I would leave food for her 24/7,she'll more than likely get used to it and not over-eat and always leave fresh water out,since you are feeding her dry food.
She could become a smallish cat,I've seen little females weighing no more that 4lbs,compared to my boys at 16lb and it's possible you would be able to keep her with you in a small carrier.
But don't keep her on a diet for that reason,she's a kitten and needs plenty of food.
I firmly believe in feeding canned too,mine get canned twice a day+dry 24/7.

CyberKitten
February 4th, 2007, 05:17 PM
It also depends on the breed of a cat. My little Siamese fits under an airline seat but she is svelte - and indoor to boot- and still eats a good diet and prob more than she should. The same is true of the Sphynx Girls. However, a cat like the Norwegian Forest cat will almost always grow to be much larger and not fit.

Free feeding is never a good idea- unless you are away a lot but cats being cats will eat what is in front of them. Mine have specific feeding times and if it is past the time, I (or a housekeeper whose job it is to catsit feed them when i am away) certainly hear about it, lol

Good luck!! It is not typical tho that a 2 yr old cat - unless she is a small breed- will be able to fit under the seat. My male Siamese - an Applehead - not a Wedgie girl like YY- would never qualify, sigh!

heidiho
February 5th, 2007, 02:32 PM
My kitten is indoor and i leave dry food out for her 24/7 and she gets wet food for breakfast and at dinnertime,i totally believe they should not have to eat dry food and nothing else,that would suck./

anjelle
February 6th, 2007, 07:15 AM
thanks.
maybe i will start feeding her soft cat food a bit more.
so far i have only fed it to her twice, both times after visiting the doc.

MartiniGIrl
February 6th, 2007, 10:19 AM
personally in the 20 years that I've had cats, I've never free-fed them.

I feed them in the morning, when I get home from work and they get a little snack before bedtime. I find most people who free-feed their cats have overweight cats.

Read the instruction labels on your cat's food. It should say how much to feed them each day.

Most good quality cat foods indicate only approximately 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup of dry food per day. Try not to over feed your kitty!!

chico2
February 6th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Well,we all do it differently my cats only share a small 85gr can twice a day and they do definetly not pig out on the dry that's there for them 24/7.
I have had cats for 40yrs(:) )and only one was overweight and became diabetic.
It all depends on the cat,which you will quickly learn...none of my cats have ever gulped down their food,like most dogs do,they tend to be snackers,eat a little and then go back.

heidiho
February 6th, 2007, 03:56 PM
I am agree with whatChico2 said,roxy never gulps down her food ,she will have a few bites leave it and later have a few more bites,she does not eat alot of the wet food either,maybe a little more than a tablespoon each time is all she will eat,i think she is gonna be a very slim cat,which is fine with me.....