Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Raw feeders

angeldogs
February 3rd, 2007, 09:31 PM
i want to try Jag on raw to see how he takes to it.i bought a steak tonight.and was going to pickup a beef kidney.just wandering is there anything i need to do to prepare them.or just cube and feed.any help would be of great help.thanks.

jiorji
February 3rd, 2007, 10:11 PM
no no you shouldn't HAVE to cube and feed :cool:
just throw the meat in the middle of the living room and see what happens :D:laughing:

Or maybe TD has some better advice?;)

erykah1310
February 3rd, 2007, 10:18 PM
actually jiorji thats pretty good advice.:D

angeldogs
February 3rd, 2007, 10:47 PM
lol jiorji.i could try that.but who would win jag or the shiz tzu.big or small.maybe i just want to see if he will he it.thinking of switching him to raw.

jiorji
February 3rd, 2007, 11:00 PM
ok cut a piece and put it in his food dish. And i hope he'll like it.:thumbs up
But it's a dog's natural way to bite and chew a piece of meat that hasn't been chopped up. LEt us know how it goes :)

angeldogs
February 3rd, 2007, 11:08 PM
i just want to see how he takes to it and if he digests it right.i tried him on digestive enzyme swiss full spectrum activity and he started to have a pink color in his stool so i stopped giving them to him.i figured if i try just a little bit of different meat first.and also bought some raw bones.if he likes it then i will research it and go from there.if he doesn't like it then no harm done and no waste.

Scott_B
February 4th, 2007, 10:08 AM
imo giving one peice of meat and looking for results in order to decide if you want to make switch is going about it the wrong way. Some dogs that have an iron gut switch absolutly fine. Others may get loose stool at first and take a few weeks to get their system up to par. Remember, 80% meat, 10-15 bone and 5-10% organs.

The best advice I could give to some starting out, get a few chickens. Enough for a week or so. Cut em into quarters or halfs, depending on your dogs size. Fast for a meal, then for the next week, feed the chicken. After the week, add some beef. Give that a week. Then again if everything is good, add something else. whole fish or lamb. Think balance over that week. 80% meat, 10-15% bone and 5-10% organs.

:thumbs up

technodoll
February 4th, 2007, 10:55 AM
what the others have said :thumbs up

angeldogs
February 4th, 2007, 06:38 PM
ok i will try that.i was going to pickup a beef kidney and chicken.i just want to see if he would eat raw.if he does then great if not stay on kibble.so with the steak it was just to see if he would eat it raw.

angeldogs
February 4th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Scott_B i picked up some beef bones uncooked yesterday with the steak.also with the chicken can he have the wings or should i throw them out.also can i give the bones frozen or do they have to be thawed?.

Scott_B
February 4th, 2007, 07:35 PM
What kinda beef bones?

You can give wings, but personally would only give them attached to the hicken, in say half or a quarter.

Many people feed frozen. I will if i don't have a chance to thaw his meal. Some dogs will only eat liver if its frozen. Some pups wont eat frozen. Trial & error really. thaw if you can, but don't freet if you forget a meal.

angeldogs
February 4th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Scott_B they are a beef marrow bone.so will it hurt to test jag out on a piece of raw steak to see if he will eat it.

Scott_B
February 6th, 2007, 10:13 AM
marrow bones also known as rec or wreck bones can damage teeth. I don't advise giving them. But the choice is yours.

Sure you can give him the steak. Just don't be surprised if he gets loose stool over it.

angeldogs
February 7th, 2007, 04:06 AM
ok Scott_B.i won't give him the bones.and will give the steak as a snack to see if he will eat raw.still have about 25lbs of innova to use up first.which will allow me to try and stock up for the raw switch over.thanks

angeldogs
February 7th, 2007, 04:15 AM
Scott_B we get the loose stools around here.thats nothing new.jag is a stick chewer and the vet said that will cause loose stools.thanks for the advice.

angeldogs
February 10th, 2007, 10:17 PM
ok i feed jag and ben the steak i bought they both chewed it for a bit then they both just inhaled it down.and were looking for more.jg ran off looking at me like he was in trouble.i still have about 3 weeks of kibble left.so i'm going to stock up.just bought 4 things today.to see i i'm on the right track.bought beef liver,beef kidney,beef tripe honeycomb and a whole chicken.will by more going to check the butchers.what kind of bone should i get.need to do some more research.but don't know if i'm on the right track or not.

Scott_B
February 11th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Good sources of bone are whole chickens. Turkeys, Lamb, Goat, Beef tails. Beef neck bones are a good recreational bone (large ones) and they will get bone from that as they chew. Eggs are also a good bone source when you feed the shell.

barkley21
February 11th, 2007, 11:44 AM
beef tripe honeycomb
I hope the tripe "honeycomb" isn't the bleached white tripe honeycomb you buy at the supermarket? If so, pitch it. It's not the same as the green tripe and has no nutritional value and is loaded with salt.

angeldogs
February 11th, 2007, 03:51 PM
yes it is the white tripe.will throw it out thanks.jag gave no loose stools after the steak.but ben did.so hopeully cold turkey into raw in about three weeks to month.

barkley21
February 11th, 2007, 05:09 PM
You can get the natural green tripe from pet stores although some may have to special order it for you. We get green lamb tripe from Healthy Paws but we have to get the girl at the pet store to special order it for us. It's kind of pricey but very healthy for dogs and well worth it. I wish I had access to the fresh stuff but I have to settle for frozen :o

angeldogs
February 11th, 2007, 05:59 PM
barkley21.i was at the pet store tody.and they have green tripe.2 o the workers there feed raw.one uses the powder then adds her own meat.the other one does raw everything.she said i would need a scale yo weigh the food.i'm trying to research but my time schedule only leave mostly after work then i asleep at the pc.so in three weeks i hope i can successfuly do the switch.at least i'm trying and with the help on here it should work.thank you everyone.

technodoll
February 11th, 2007, 06:14 PM
also you might want to go slow with the liver and organ meats, giving too much at once often causes runny poops. better to give only a little at a time, more often. :thumbs up

angeldogs
February 11th, 2007, 06:22 PM
TD.i was told with organ meat to only give 1oz about 2 times a week.i'm giving him a little piece of liver tonight to see i he will eat it.