Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog food poll

erykah1310
February 3rd, 2007, 08:36 PM
Which would you choose between these 5 dog foods if you HAD ONLY these choices. ( raw not an option sorry, ONLY these 5 foods existed )Also, your dog had no allergies/intolerances to foods.
Dont cheat and look up the ingredients, im just curious as to how many people if faced with only ingredients would choose which foods.
I'll post the brands in a few days.

Choice #1

Ingredients:
Turkey, brewers rice, pearled barley, chicken meal (natural source of glucosamine), corn gluten meal, oat meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), dried egg product, fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), pea fiber, dried beet pulp, fish oil, natural flavor, calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, salt, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, calcium carbonate, dried tomatoes, blueberry pomace, dried sweet potatoes, Vitamin E supplement, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, choline chloride, ferrous sulfate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), niacin, copper proteinate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
B-4402

Choice #2

GROUND YELLOW CORN, MEAT AND BONE MEAL, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, CHICKEN BY-PRODUCT MEAL, ANIMAL FAT (PRESERVED WITH BHA/BHT), WHEAT MILL RUN, NATURAL POULTRY FLAVOR, RICE, WHEAT FLOUR, SALT, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, CARAMEL COLOR, VEGETABLE OIL (SOURCE OF LINOLEIC ACID), VITAMINS (CHOLINE CHLORIDE, dl-ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN E], L-ASCORBYL-2- POLYPHOSPHATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN C*], VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENT, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], BIOTIN, d-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT [VITAMIN B2], VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT), TRACE MINERALS (ZINC SULPHATE, COPPER SULPHATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE).

Choice #3

Bison , Salmon Meal , Brown Rice , Millet , Cracked Pearled Barley , Oatmeal , Rice Bran , Canola Oil , Flaxseed Oil , Amaranth, Blueberries , Yucca Schidigera Extract , Carotene , Choline Chloride , Vitamin E Supplement , Iron Proteinate , Zinc Proteinate , Copper Proteinate , Manganese Proteinate , Potassium Iodide , Thiamine Mononitrate , Ascorbic Acid , Vitamin A Supplement , Biotin , Calcium Panthothenate , Selenomethionine , Pyridoxine Hydrochloride , Vitamin B12 Supplement , Riboflavin , Vitamin D Supplement , Folic Acid

Choice #4

Ingredients:
Ground yellow corn, poultry by-product meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), corn gluten meal, brewers rice, soybean meal, animal digest, calcium carbonate, calcium phosphate, salt, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, added color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 2, Yellow 6), manganese sulfate, manganese proteinate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, copper proteinate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite. P-4101

Choice #5

Ingredients
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, Ground Brown Rice, Tomato Pomace, Rye Flour, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a natural source of vitamin E), Tomatoes (natural source of Lycopene), Rice Bran (from brown rice), Whitefish, Natural Chicken Flavor, Carrots, Spinach, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Blueberries, Flaxseed, Ground Millet, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride

technodoll
February 3rd, 2007, 08:51 PM
can't vote, sorry... they all suck :sad:

erykah1310
February 3rd, 2007, 08:54 PM
I hear ya TD, just a curiousness I have ( if thats even a word:shrug: ) Im going to vote at the end of it, before revealing the brands. Not because I want to, but because if i dont buy atleast one of these 5 brands... my dogs'll starve;)

coppperbelle
February 3rd, 2007, 09:00 PM
I recognize number 3. I won't reveal the name of the food but it would be my vote of the 5 listed.

technodoll
February 3rd, 2007, 09:03 PM
erykah i didn't mean to sound so blunt :o and i know what #3 is too... he he... so who's not taking to the raw, it is B? just curious! :rolleyes:

erykah1310
February 3rd, 2007, 09:05 PM
No actually B is doing great on the raw... Meik is still odd man out ( for now)
In all honesty I posted this in another forum ( among corn in dog food lovers) and just thought it was a fun experiment.:shrug:

Tommysmom
February 3rd, 2007, 09:08 PM
#3 looks ok to me... I'm no expert, but it looks a bit better than the others. I'm a bit biased though, since right now I can only feed Tommy vet food ANYTHING else looks better than what we have, lol.

angeldogs
February 3rd, 2007, 09:26 PM
i picked #3 i think i know what food it is.

Prin
February 4th, 2007, 01:15 AM
I recognize number 3. I won't reveal the name of the food but it would be my vote of the 5 listed.
I agree. #5 is my #2 choice, but it's got wayyyy a lot of tomato in it (stool hardener) which leads me to believe it's much grainier than meaty.

#2 is the WORST. Just disgusting. I wouldn't feed that to my worst enemy's dog. Just disgusting.

#4 is second WORST, but VERY close to #2. More "animal" things (just disgusting).

#1- many bad things about it, but it's still much better than 2 and 4, but nowhere near 3 and 5.

Honestly, the only real complaint about #3 is the grain, but even then, they're more digestible grains than the usual ones. And honestly, you've never seen a coat on a doggy like you'll see on that food. :highfive:

mummummum
February 4th, 2007, 02:24 AM
Yes, #3 was in my doggy bowls for awhile.

brandynva
February 4th, 2007, 03:00 AM
I'm totally confused as to what #3 is. I voted for it because it looked the best to me. We just upgraded to Innova and I'm excited to see how well they do. I also started adding some yogurt and eggs into their diet along with the raw veggies they love. I'm having a hard time with raw meat though. But I'm getting there! I used to be the type that if my dog would eat it, it's good for them. One time we bought Mileva this cheap @$$ stuff at Tractor Supply. $8 for 50lbs. She refused to TOUCH it. After doing some research we realized how incredibly crappy it was. Smart dog. lol We threw out almost all of it. Anyway, sorry for the :offtopic: ..

Scott_B
February 4th, 2007, 10:00 AM
I agree with what prin said :thumbs up

gypsy_girl
February 4th, 2007, 12:30 PM
#3 for me too! Are there kcals available? Not that it would really matter in this case, everything else doesn;t stack up!

Prin
February 4th, 2007, 12:56 PM
It's 364kcal/cup. I actually feed Boo more Evo RM than I fed of #3. :confused:

Byrd
February 4th, 2007, 01:52 PM
:offtopic: But when you give eggs and yogurt are the eggs raw or cooked and is the yogurt plain?

gypsy_girl
February 4th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Hmm Prin

That's interesting, I wonder if that food is using the calculation for determining Kcals and not a "feeding trial" like RM (at least I think the use the actuals as they do feeding trials??????)

Prin
February 4th, 2007, 05:49 PM
I have no idea. To me the most logical thing would be that he was absorbing one better than the other, but that wouldn't make sense because it's much grainier than the RM. :shrug: Maybe Boo just digests grains well. :shrug:

OntarioGreys
February 4th, 2007, 06:05 PM
erykah, I know what #3 is as well, have you ever asked if the place that sells if they would bring in a different brand of food? If they are able to get number 3, they should have no trouble asking the exact same distributor( that supplies #3 and who also supplies most other brands we buy in Ontario) to send a food choice you like

erykah1310
February 4th, 2007, 07:17 PM
There is only one petstore that I have found that sells number 3 in this general area.... I talked to them about EVO RM but they say that they cant just order a food because one person wants it:frustrated: and well TO... they actually didnt know what I was talking about:eek:

coppperbelle
February 4th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Prin :offtopic: Sorry

What are you feeding your doggies now? I thought I read you were feeding Barking at the moon but now I see you are feeding Boo EVO Rm.

~michelle~
February 4th, 2007, 08:07 PM
i dunno what#3 is:sad:

Prin
February 4th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Prin :offtopic: Sorry

What are you feeding your doggies now? I thought I read you were feeding Barking at the moon but now I see you are feeding Boo EVO Rm.

Boo is getting EvoRm and Jemma is getting BATM. I gave up feeding them both the same thing. I'd like to, but Jemma did so poorly on RM and Boo gets unbelievable gas on BATM. :o

Ordering a bag specially is hard sometimes because the store ends up expecting you to commit to buying a bag each order or something and then if your dog doesn't tolerate it... :o But if they can get one solid gold, they should be able to stick a bag of BATM in there once in a while too. :shrug:

erykah1310
February 4th, 2007, 08:19 PM
ummm??? whats BATM? :o
Meik is the only kibble boy here, and he's eating wellness right now, he's doing much better on that food and i plan on keeping him on it until his appointment.

Prin
February 4th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Solid Gold Barking at the Moon.;)
http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=81&code=120

erykah1310
February 4th, 2007, 08:28 PM
AHhhhh! thanks for clearing that one up Prin.

Prin
February 4th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Wow, wellness changed their formula!

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, Ground Brown Rice, Rice Bran (from brown rice), Rye Flour, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a natural source of vitamin E), Whitefish, Tomatoes (natural source of lycopene), Natural Chicken Flavor, Flaxseed, Ground Millet, Carrots, Apples, Spinach, Blueberries, Sweet Potatoes, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, Ground Brown Rice, Tomato Pomace, Rye Flour, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a natural source of vitamin E), Tomatoes (natural source of Lycopene), Rice Bran (from brown rice), Whitefish, Natural Chicken Flavor, Carrots, Spinach, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Blueberries, Flaxseed, Ground Millet, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium ChlorideThey moved a lot of the fast fibers down and moved the slow fibers up... Looks like people complained of soft stools or something. They also bumped the whitefish down. It used to be significant enough to slightly help the coat, but I'm not sure it will now.

meb999
February 4th, 2007, 08:50 PM
ummm??? whats BATM? :o

only the best food EVAR!!! ok, maybe I'm exagerating...but after a year of cleaning up splats, we're finally happy poop with it, so I worship the turkoise shiny bag!!

erykah1310
February 4th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Prin..... :yell: take a look at your post and the ingredients listed above lol:rolleyes:

meb999
February 4th, 2007, 08:58 PM
hehehhe, I already knew before Prin posted tha it was wellness!! I also know #3 and #1 (we've tried almost every food out there....but we were never desperate enough to try #2 or #4 ;) )

erykah1310
February 4th, 2007, 09:01 PM
The poll isnt doing so well here as it is on other message boards lol, we're all too smart for this.... :thumbs up

Prin
February 4th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Prin..... :yell: take a look at your post and the ingredients listed above lol:rolleyes:

Yeah, you said you were feeding wellness, so I assumed #5 was wellness, but I was wondering why I didn't recognize the ingredients right away, and it was because of the tomato being added and the whitefish being bumped. ;)

rainbow
February 4th, 2007, 11:12 PM
I agree with what prin said :thumbs up

Doesn't everybody? ;) I'd pick #3 and then #5 too. :p

OntarioGreys
February 5th, 2007, 10:03 PM
They also bumped the whitefish down. It used to be significant enough to slightly help the coat, but I'm not sure it will now.

Fish meat that low on the list is not going to have that big an impact on the coat in either the new or old formula(less than the amount of Canola oil, since it is the fat from the fish, only a very thin layer on the outside of a fish under the skin that helps the coats I would much rather see in the form of wild pacific salmon oil used instead.

If I had only 2 foods to choose from I would rather choose chicken and rice food preserved with BHA/BHT than a lake fish based food to me safer, sandwich breads contains BHA/BHT there is not government warning to limit consumption of how many slices of bread one can eat like with lake fish where people are warned not to eat more than 2 meals a month of pan sized lake fish, larger fish should not even be eaten at all especially by pregnant women and children, on indian reserve where natives are eating greater amounts of fish there are high rates of cancer and severe birth defects

This is what is found in lake fish flesh
2 metals (mercury and 5 forms of arsenic)
17 dioxins and furans
159 PCB congener measurements
46 pesticides
40 other semi-volatile organics (e.g., phenols)
46 PBDE congener measurements (fourth year samples only)

When dogs or any living being ingests these kinds of toxic chemicals they just don't pass through the body and pooped out, our bodies are designed to be part of natures enviroment clean up, the liver seperates these chemicals and then they get stored in fat cells for safe keeping to try and prevent them from ending up in other organs or bloodstream, but there is only a limited amount fat storage space once that run out the chemicals then will enter the organs , and flesh where they can do the most harm, we can handle small amounts safely, there is no way to avoid all and it is acccumulative over a life time, so it is important to restrict how much we put in, after the Chernobyl accident , food crops in Poland where severely affected, Scientist is the Soviet block countries knew large number of people would die in the area if something was not done, so the Soviet bloc countries rotated the food supply throughout the bloc countries, so there would still be enough food but by spreading the food around made it safer to consume, because people were eating levels that could be safely stored in their bodies.

Fish has good sources of omega fatty acids there is not doubt of that but it(particularily lake fish) contains heavy amounts of toxic chemicals as well, so it is important weigh the risks over the benefits

Prin
February 5th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Salmon is a lake fish? :o

CinnaAngie
February 6th, 2007, 01:04 AM
Byrd - I give my pup eggs and yougurt to give her more nutrition since she is growing right now (9 months of lab puppy!) and due to finances I have her on a kind of crappy food (as soon as I get my first paycheck at the new job her food is changed!!!) but the add-ins make me feel better about what I feed her (plus it's all stuff I buy for myself too).

I give her the eggs raw. Cooking denatures the proteins, but I don't think it takes away the nutrition from them. I used to cook her eggs because I was worried that I would make her sick or something (plus they were really slimy and I didn't like looking at it... I'm not usually squeemish around food, but eggs, for some reason, I am...). I also break up the egg shells and give them to her mixed into her kibble. she loves chewing on them!!!

I also feed her yougurt mixed into her kibble (not at the same time as the eggs, I rotate between eggs, yougurt, cottage cheese and canned fishes like sardines (her favorite), tuna and salmon)). I have heard that it should be plain yougurt, but I give her fruit-flavoured yougurt too (like strawberry, blueberry or banana).

When I change foods I am totally going for #3!!! I hope I can find it in Edmonton....

erykah1310
February 6th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Answers!!!!

Choice #1
Pro Plan Selects ( adult)
Natural Turkey and Barley Formula

Choice #2
Pedigree Healthy Vitality.

Choice #3
Solid Gold Wolf King Formula (http://solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=62&code=170 )

Choice #4
Purina Dog Chow (Adult)
(http://www.dogchow.com/Products/Detail.aspx?intProductID=11)

Choice #5
Wellness Chicken super5mix
(http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/wellness/dog_wellness_dry_super5mix_chicken.html )

meb999
February 6th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Wow!! NO ONE voted for the crappy foods....

What was the vote on the other board Erykah?

erykah1310
February 6th, 2007, 11:52 AM
12 votes for Solid gold , 1 vote for ProPlan ( from the corn pusher in the bunch), and 13 for wellness... I posted this there because of all the debate lately on foods. There are a few who push the corn issue saying its a great source of protien and bla bla bla, yet only 1 had the gonads to actually pick that food.:shrug: Everyone is quick to put EVO,Solid Gold, Wellness and Canidae down when someone reccomends them...
That was the results though

meb999
February 6th, 2007, 12:59 PM
yeah corn is a GREAT source of protein -- that's why it all comes out their pooper!! :rolleyes: :D

OntarioGreys
February 6th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Salmon is a lake fish? :o

Pacific Salmon come in from the ocean inland into rivers to spawn/lay ad fertilize eggs and then they die

once the eggs hatch the young fry will spend a short period of time in the river, then will travel out to the ocean to live till is is their time to spawn

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/zone/underwater_sous-marin/salmon/salmon-saumon_e.htm

Most of their lifespan is spent in the ocean, as a result they are less contaminated

there are lake salmon especially in the great lakes but if they are hanging out in some of areas of the lake they are so heavily contaminated that there are warnings not to eat them at all not matter what size they are.

I do not expect anyone to take my word for a fact, do an internet search keywords "Lake fish toxic " "Lake fish consumption" look specifically for US and Canadian state, provincial and country government websites they tell you just how bad the situation is with fish and they have publications telling how much fish caught from certain areas are safe for people to eat, when the fishing trawlers come in the fish is sorted , small pan fish is sold for human consumption, they will fetch a bigger dollar, next up is larger fish which goes to animal feed, the monster fish diseased or deformed fish will be sold as use in producing fertilizers.

I know one study was done by Canada on an Indian reserve on the St Lawrence seaway with regards to the effects of fish on their diets and the effects on the native population, possiblt can find on a internet search as well