Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mr.Hobbes 7 mos mastiffXwolf

Naturezrevenge
March 23rd, 2004, 12:34 AM
This is Hobbes doing his best " stop taking my photo weirdo".
He's 9 months now and 120lbs of gentle giant!

chico2
March 23rd, 2004, 08:01 AM
Beautiful BIG dogs!!!!

amaruq
March 23rd, 2004, 08:05 AM
Beautiful boy!!!

amaruq
March 23rd, 2004, 08:09 AM
I see its a hybred wolf......unfortunately my belief is wolves should not be crossed with anything domestic. Don't let anyone know you do have a wolf cross or you will be to blame for everything that goes wrong.
Wolves are wolves in my eyes..and truly natures wonder...they aren't a pet. Be careful.

mona_b
March 23rd, 2004, 09:24 AM
Very beautiful dog.

But i'm sorry,I see no wolf what so ever.

Lucky Rescue
March 23rd, 2004, 10:00 AM
That is an incredibly beautiful dog!!:)

Just curious - how do you know he's part wolf? Where did you get him?

TalonsMa
March 23rd, 2004, 11:52 AM
What a sweet face!

Naturezrevenge
March 24th, 2004, 01:38 AM
He doesn't look very wolfy in the pic, but in the flesh, people often notice that he is very lanky, has slanted almond shaped eyes, and exaggerated ruff and a neverending amount of things to "say" (he is very "verbal" and howls). I did not seek to have a hybrid, I ended up with Hobbes by mistake. Hobbes was discovered on a dirt farm in BC, where they were breeding a doubtlessly pure (or high content) female timber wolf (yellow eyes and the whole bit) with a 230lb english mastiff. I can't tell you why I was there, or where exactly it was, but the puppies were confiscated by a particular animal welfare assoc and brought to a better environment when they were 9 weeks old. All of the other pups were small, black and very "wolfy". They were shy, small and not very trusting. But amidst all the little black prick-eared pups was the only male; Hobbes, who was not only about twice the size of the other pups, but also has floopy ears, brindle markings and a really friendly, goofy mastiff temperment!
He bonded to me almost instantly and I was chided into taking him because of this. My old Boxer/mastiff had just passed away and I was ready after a year for a new pup. Hobbes is 9mos now and although I am aware of his lineage and mindful of the risks, he truly does seem to have the characteristics of a mastiff only (only with better problem solving abilities;) He is a trainers dream, as gentle as can be, and a sensitive creature in a positive sense! Wolf hybrids can be trouble or wonderful depending on the genetics and the handler, just like pitbullls, mastiffs, GSD's or.....? No complaints yet!

amaruq
March 24th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Whew I'm glad you didn't seek out a hybred wolf. I think thats so stupid. Glad you rescued him. But again I stress I wouldn't advertise it.

I was broken hearted many years back. My dad came and got me and told me this fellow had a wolf. I went and seen and he had the thing on a chain wrapped around his arm multiple times. The wolf was thin matted and the look in its eyes was like it was asking for death. I was so upset I began to cry. The fellow thought I was insane...well tell the truth..he is the one a little insane for doing what he did to that poor creature.

chico2
March 24th, 2004, 08:22 AM
Amaruq,that's soo sad,you should have gone back in the night to release him,or maybe he would not survive in the wild:(