Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What is your "perfect dog"?

Prin
February 2nd, 2007, 09:43 PM
Just wondering what people have to say...:o I'm talking more about personality and traits, and not necessarily breed... :shrug:

My perfect dog:
- is a dog who understands me and who lets me understand him/her.
- might shed, but would try not to get too much in my food.:D
- is loveable.
- makes me laugh.
- would like to cuddle, but would also be quite independent.
- might be hard to train, but I'd still be able to tell that he/she was trying really hard.
- has fears and needs, but lets me help with both.
- likes adventure but isn't too hyper most of the time.
- has to hug. They just have to. :D

Byrd
February 2nd, 2007, 09:47 PM
My perfect dog (other than the attention problems, which we are working on with obedience) is Willow.

She's happy, friendly, smart, affectionate, gentle, sporty, aims to please, is great in the car, and doesn't shed much in my food :p .

:cloud9: She gives great hugs and kisses too. She actually likes to be picked up like a child (I really have to get a picture of this) a paw on each shoulder, legs wrapped around my waist, I wrap my hands under her butt and we'll walk around like that, or dance, or I'll throw her on the bed to start a wrestling match. :lovestruck:

erykah1310
February 2nd, 2007, 09:50 PM
My perfect dog... :rolleyes: The ones I have!

Seriously... If I could insist on some traits...

-big kissers
-moderate shedders( and like Prin said, try not to get too much on my food)
-bark when someone comes in the yard (Kita could definately work on this one)
-Must like to travel.... ( camping or holiday functions)
-Minimal gas ( atleast the smelly farts)
-Oh... when I fall in the deep snow and cant get up cause the snowshoes are basically wrapped around my head, it would be nice in the future to have a dog that actually cared... not one who tries to pee on me, or sits just out of reach basically laughing at me:rolleyes:
-one who also likes to cuddle on the floor ( for some reason when i try this with the current pack, they scurry off :shrug: )
that s bout all for now.

technodoll
February 2nd, 2007, 09:51 PM
well i've got two perfect dogs here... so whatever they are, there's my answer :o :lovestruck: :love:

Frenchy
February 2nd, 2007, 09:53 PM
My dogs are perfect, and 99% rescue dogs are and what I love about them is that they are just so grateful to have a roof,food,water. Affection and love is a bonus for them and they give it back 200%. I don't care about the drool , shedding , barking.....

Prin
February 2nd, 2007, 09:53 PM
-Oh... when I fall in the deep snow and cant get up cause the snowshoes are basically wrapped around my head, it would be nice in the future to have a dog that actually cared... not one who tries to pee on me, or sits just out of reach basically laughing at me hehehe :evil: :laughing:

breeze
February 2nd, 2007, 09:55 PM
all the above , the ones that love me and lets me love them.

erykah1310
February 2nd, 2007, 09:57 PM
:rolleyes: those little buggers:rolleyes: NO RESPECT I tell ya :laughing:

Skryker
February 2nd, 2007, 10:02 PM
All good points. And I agree Erykah-when my hounds wrap their leashes around my legs and make me fall down, it would be nice if they would pretend to be concerned, rather than jump on me or take the opportunity to head for the hills. :frustrated:

Seriously, my main requirements are intelligent and kinda clownish. Independent enough not to be needy, but not so independent as to be aloof or disobedient. Wants to cuddle on the couch and sleep near me at night. Play hard outside and not destroy the house. Good in the car.

You know, not too much to ask for. :rolleyes:

Byrd
February 2nd, 2007, 10:06 PM
Oh, I forgot about makes me laugh. :crazy:

And also, I can do anything to her and he worst thing she'll do is want a hug, "Save me mom".

my[moo]
February 2nd, 2007, 10:13 PM
Great thread!! :) My perfect dog would:

-always want to cuddle..no matter what!
-would NOT jump on people.
-would enjoy playing with other dogs :)
-would be colourful LOL
-be independant yet at the same time rely on me;)
-loves kisses!! :D

papillonmama
February 2nd, 2007, 10:21 PM
I'd be happy with one that didn't think peeing on a bed is a good way to get back at you.

And along the same idea, instead of peeing on the bed 'cause she has to stay home, the theoretical dog would like car rides.

And maybe at least a little nicer to kids and people in general, so friendly, good with kids, ooh and other animals.

No to low shed would be a charachteristic that would also be extremely helpful, 'cause the cats shed enough for everyone.

Stacer
February 2nd, 2007, 10:26 PM
hmmmm. Since I've been living vicariously through all of you i have had the opportunity to "experience" all of the best qualities of doggies.

So when the time comes I would like:
-a dog I can bring anywhere and loves to go with me
-a big huggable goofball
-likes to play
-big time snuggler
-not too sucky, just sucky enough
-has a natural smile
-good with kids and cats
-intuitive and knows when to give me lovin' when I'm down (is that asking too much?)
-big, i want big doggies

Smiley14
February 2nd, 2007, 10:31 PM
Petey with a reliable recall. LOL!

JanM
February 2nd, 2007, 10:41 PM
Since I already have 2 perfect dogs, it's easy for me to say what I want:
doggies that
always know when the pizza delivery is about to arrive and warn me :p
don't shed in food :fingerscr
never bark inappropriately :crazy:
always come when called :evil:
never beg for human food :goodvibes:
always show their love - for everyone :love:
show their love of life
are who they are :cloud9:

meb999
February 2nd, 2007, 10:49 PM
my perfect dog would have to be funny and goofy.
And like to cuddle
And like other dogs :rolleyes:
and be sweet natured and gentle around kids
and doesn't shed tooo much
and Have big droopy lips...:lovestruck:

(Buster's all of the above except the liking other dogs...:frustrated: )

Rottielover
February 3rd, 2007, 07:21 AM
I have my perfect dog, at least perfect for me.
Loyal, smart, affentionate, hard worker, loving, goofy, and so much more.
The only trait I wish to ask for is alittle less dominant with other dogs. But he is workble. LOL

Toonces
February 3rd, 2007, 08:09 AM
I think I have been spoiled because in my eyes all of my dogs have been perfect. Ok well Curries breath could be better:eek: and Brandy could be have less accidents sending us the the emerge vet on sundays:o but in there own special ways they are so different.

But the most perfect dog I ever had was PJ, she had no flaws at all, kind to all, human or furry and was very tuned into human feelings and knew when someone needed her. :rip: sweet baby its been so many yrs but I think about you every day.

my[moo]
February 3rd, 2007, 08:47 AM
PJ looks like she was a real sweety..

brandynva
February 3rd, 2007, 10:13 AM
Great thread Prin!

My perfect dog:

-- Kissy lips and noses
-- Must love hugs and affection
-- Snuggler
-- hehe HOUSETRAINED!!! (willing to work on it, but it's nice if they actually GET it)
-- Doesn't stray far from the house
-- Good on a leash, nothing like a dog that pulls
-- Loyal to my family
-- protective, but not overly
-- I like big dogs too. The bigger the better I say! :cloud9:
-- Ability to be left alone in the house and not pull my books off the shelves and chew them, not chew my favorite lighthouse, not tear my miniblinds off the windows trying to get outside... etc.. hehe (can you tell I've experienced this?)

Dogastrophe
February 3rd, 2007, 10:54 AM
My perfect dogs, other than the ones I have now and have had in the past, would have the following traits:

- attention span for at least one minute (which would put it twice as long as my present ones),
- goofy and playful but at appropriate times,
- non jumper on people who come in the door,
- a moderate kisser (when we only had Monty, who would be lucky to give you one kiss every three months, I often said that the next dog should be a kisser. Have to watch what you wish for, because Lucy and Jack both take it over board ... 3am, fast asleep, dog climbs on the bed, and proceeds to stick a tounge in your notsril)

Ahh hell, they are all perfect in their own ways. :pawprint:

Spirit
February 3rd, 2007, 11:08 AM
Just wondering what people have to say...:o I'm talking more about personality and traits, and not necessarily breed... :shrug:

My perfect dog:
- is a dog who understands me and who lets me understand him/her.
- might shed, but would try not to get too much in my food.:D
- is loveable.
- makes me laugh.
- might be hard to train, but I'd still be able to tell that he/she was trying really hard.
- has to hug. They just have to. :D

You've just described my dog down to a "T" (I have no idea what that expression means, btw, but that's my Ben! lol).

When he was younger, we always knew which one he was because he would play for a minute or two, then while the other 8 puppies continued playing, he'd be off in a corner doing his own thing (and would come back periodically to check on the group). Until his personality really started to shine, he was known as "Mr. Independant". Now he's aka "Mr. Personality", and is one of the calmer goldens I've ever known (and he's only 13 months old). He makes me laugh CONSTANTLY, but it's usually the brat in him that does it.

Ben is anything but boring. He's sometimes frustrating (passive domimant), but even when he frustrates me, he makes me laugh. He loves to cuddle, but he's not at ALL needy (he never, EVER demands it). He doesn't really shed at all unless he's blowing his coat (which is happening right now, and even that's not really bad at all - my cat shed more than my dog does).

He's extremely intellegent, but not always that smart, which sometimes makes training a challenge. It might take him a bit long to catch on (and he does try REALLY hard. Sometimes he'll even cry if he doesn't understand), but once he "gets it", he gets it... then he'll try to manipulate me to get him to do what I want him to do (enter "spoiled rotten teenage syndrome").

(To sidetrack for a second, this reminds me of a story). It took myself and a friend 45 minutes to get him to jump into my car (for the first time). We used cheese, bagels, pizza, liver treats, cinnamon buns, every type of yummy food we could think of (even if unhealthy - the point was to get his butt into my car on his own for the first time). No go. Finally, we brought out a step stool. Nope! He just stands there. Then a customer walked by with a bag of liver brownies. Well he LEAPED into the car and looked at her as if to say "I'M IN! TREAT ME!" A few more "jump in, jump out, jump in again"s, and we were good to go (he was now eagerly jumping into my car).

The next day: "Let's go to work, Ben!" (he gets very excited about going to work). But NO WAY was he going to jump into my car. I grabbed some beef liver, ("No thank you", he said to that) and a handful of other treats. 10 minutes go by and I'm now thinking we're going to be late for work, but I can't pick him up (after all, that's what he's waiting for, I'm sure). Cheese! He loves cheese, so I tell him to stay and I run upstairs to grab a kraft single. I got half way back down the stairs, and the second I started to unwrap it, I heard him leap to his feet and scramble to get in the car. I peeked around the corner and he was stumbling to get in (I guess he jumped in too fast and almost fell out). He, as quickly as he possibly could, made his way inside, and out pops this little happy face (huge smile). "I'M IN! Now give me the cheese".

He gives back more than he recieves (in more ways than one), and is just an all around good dog.

He's my perfect dog. If he was any more perfect, he wouldn't be Ben. :lovestruck:

Peepmouse
February 3rd, 2007, 01:02 PM
My perfect dog, is whichever ones we have at the time...:dog::lovestruck: Right now Pepper & Cinder are the perfect ones for us, but once the time comes for Pepper to go to Doggy Heaven:sad:, we'll head off to a rescue and let another furbaby pick us for it's Mommy & Daddy. And the cycle goes on...

Hunter's_owner
February 3rd, 2007, 01:12 PM
I agree with everything that Prin said

--

is a dog who understands me and who lets me understand him/her.
- is loveable.
- makes me laugh.
- has to hug. They just have to

And would like to add:

-likes other dogs and is good with kids
-able to be left alone without having a complete panic attack (one of these days Hunter will be able to do this:fingerscr :rolleyes:)
-be able to be in the car without pacing around
-A big dog, or else a small dog with the mind and body structure of a big dog (like a beagle;) )
-Good on a leash

Prin
February 4th, 2007, 12:33 AM
lol it didn't even occur to me that my doggy has to be "good with other dogs"... I grew up with one that totally wasn't and I guess it just is ok with me. The key is to get the second doggy when the crabby one is still young enough to barely tolerate it.:D I'm glad Jemma and Boo are social (well, Jemma still has her days), but if they weren't, as long as their relationship stayed ok, I'd be ok. :shrug:

Hunter's_owner
February 4th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Yeah I guess you are right Prin, but I am so used to Hunter being perfectly okay with any dog, that I really enjoy bringing him places and knowing that he will be okay. I also like the fact that I can bring any dog home and he would be okay with that too.

But if I did get a dog that wasn't okay with other dogs, then it wouldn't be a big deal. The dog we had while we were growing up wasn't so okay with other dogs at all, and it didn't matter to me.:shrug:

But if I had a choice, I would want them to be okay with other dogs.

Prin
February 4th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Yeah, for sure, if there was the same dog in an alternate universe who was a menace to other dogs, you'd take the social one.

My labby used to attack any doggy she saw on the street. We kept her off the street most of the time and learned how to get her off and that seemed to be enough. She never hurt another dog her whole life. There were scuffles, but nothing that ever left a mark. :)

Oh, and while we're dreaming- how about a dog with a 100% recall? :cloud9: :laughing:

Hunter's_owner
February 4th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Oh, and while we're dreaming- how about a dog with a 100% recall? :cloud9: :laughing:

Do they even exist:confused: :rolleyes: :D

Prin
February 4th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I think it's those border collies who obey even the slightest peep from their owner who is far, far away. :D

Jemma used to be 100% until Boo taught her how fun it is to be 90%. :rolleyes: